Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: Fleetwood 2 - 1 United

A round-up of the Thursday night action

1 November 2018

Club News

YOUTH: Fleetwood 2 - 1 United

A round-up of the Thursday night action

1 November 2018

United were in FA Youth Cup action on Thursday night as they travelled to face Fleetwood Town in the first round of this season's competition.

The teams had battled out a tight draw at Creighton exactly two months ago and the young Blues went into the fixture looking to get back to winning ways following a tough few weeks.

Fleetwood started well with a run of corners which caused anxiety in the Carlisle box. Defensive blocks were made as Makepeace and O'Halleron tried to get shots away, but Barnes stayed alert and he eventually cleared the danger.

The hosts stayed forward and Matete took charge of a free kick on the edge of the box when Rydel was unceremoniously felled. He went for the top corner but Ward was well placed to gather it in.

The good start from the home side brought them a goal when captain James Hill launched a superb 40-yard pass into the left hand channel for Makepeace to chase. He crossed first time, on the run, and Sam O'Halleron moved into space to glance a neat header past Ward and into the empty bottom corner.

United responded with some good movement, but Pengelly gathered two crosses from McCarron as Kerr tried to make up the ground. And care had to be taken at the other end as Makepeace and Morris used the flanks to try to get behind the visiting back line. Lightfoot twice pumped the ball clear and Wilson was there to nod a looped cross to safety.

Carlisle went close to getting back on terms midway through the half when Charters found space 24-yards from the target. He set himself and unleashed a powerful shot but it fizzed just the wrong side of the upright.

Excellent and determined work from Barnes saw him keep a ball in play as he slid low to clip it back to Kerr, and the striker was unlucky as his cut back was sliced away from McCarron. Fleetwood broke and a shot from out of nowhere from Rydel had to be touched onto the bar by Ward as he reacted well to get to the thundering drive.

The home side should have extended their lead when Rydel delivered an accurate free kick from distance. O'Halleron lost his marker and connected with a header but he got his bearings wrong and it flew wide of the mark.

They were made to pay for the miss when Carlisle refused to give up the loose pieces inside the opposition box. It bounced awkwardly in front of McCarron and he had to readjust as he looked to find the bottom corner. His left foot rasper was crisp and Pengelly could only watch as it bulged his net.

Intricate play from United saw them really grow into the game and a one-touch exchange of passes saw them carve a way through before Brockbank let fly. The slightest of deflections took it wide with Pengelly relieved as he stood stranded between the sticks.

Carlisle looked the more likely leading into the break, but a blocked shot from Charters signalled the end of an entertaining 45 minutes of football.

United won an early second half corner when McCarron was played into a good area on the edge of the box. He lost his balance as he swung his boot through the ball but his shot was deflected and it curled agonisingly wide.

Excellent keeping was needed from Regan Ward when Matete broke through to shoot low at the other end. The stopper got down quickly to parry, and he was up on his feet sharply to prevent O'Halleron from stabbing the loose ball into the empty net.

Fleetwood came again as they burst forward in numbers following a spell of tight midfield football. Shayden Morris carried the ball into the area and he took everyone by surprise when he shot through bodies from a tight angle. Ward could do nothing as it ripped past him and bulged the net.

Carlisle had to regroup and the home side came again when Rydel edged forward to exploit a gap. He opted to shoot and Ward dived full length as he made sure it was going wide.

Good hold up play from Kerr allowed Brockbank to overlap, with the young Cumbrians upping the pace of the game, and he popped a great delivery at the near post. That was put behind, and there was puzzlement from the away contingent when the corner dropped long as three visiting shirts appeared to have the upper hand. The ball somehow stayed out with the Fleetwood defence mightily relieved.

More excellent corner deliveries from United deserved better, and they were unlucky not to be back on terms when Kerr surged into the box from a Galloway through ball. His shot had pace and power but Pengelly got strong hands to it to make the save.

Carlisle huffed and puffed as they tried to find a way back through the closing stages but Fleetwood kept things tight to see their way through to a second round tie against Bury.



Fleetwood Town - O'Halleron (8), Morris (55)

Carlisle United - McCarron (40)



Fleetwood Town - Pengelly, Goldsborough, Rydel, Williams, Hill, Cooke (Boyle 46), Morris, Mashigo, O'Halleron (Johnston 82), Matete, Makepeace (Crowe-Baggley 66). Subs - Clayton, McCaragher.

Carlisle United - Ward, Barnes, Brockbank, Casson, Lightfoot, Wilson, McCarron (Soper 86), Branthwaite (Papa 86), Kerr, Charters, Birch (Galloway 36). Subs - McLachlan, Armstrong.


Referee - Mr Louis Griffiths

Attendance - 197

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account