Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

PHYSIO: Latest from the treatment room

11 October 2012

Weekly injury update

United physio Neil Dalton brings us the latest from the treatment table:

Rory Loy is working outside every day now and we are building his fitness up step-by-step. We’ll be looking to start integrating him back into training with the lads over the course of the next two to three weeks. He’ll start with the warm ups and the non-impact work and it’s now just a case of building up his fitness and football work. 

Lee Miller is out of plaster and his wounds have healed nicely. He has continued with his range of movement exercises and he also started with some gentle ankle proprioception work to help with stability. He’s back to see the surgeon at the end of this month and we should hopefully get the go ahead to begin some more functional work. It was always going to be slow for the first month or so but things will gradually increase in tempo for him. 

Jon-Paul McGovern got an infection in one of the wounds from his hernia groin surgery in the summer. That was treated using antibiotics over a period of time but, unfortunately, it was quite deep-seated and he had to go back into hospital last week [2 October] to have it reopened and cleaned out. The surgeon is happy, following the surgery, that all has gone well. He now has to have a wick in place – a dressing which sits inside the wound – and this assists with the healing process from the inside out. This should also help to make sure he steers clear of any further infection. It's expected he will be out for approximately three weeks, and he has had a week now where he has been seeing the district nurse to keep the wound clean. He has also been checking in with our doctor every four or five days and we should know more next week in terms of where he is at. We’ll start doing some CV work with him initially, see how he reacts to that and then we’ll build him up from there.

Alex Salmon slipped and went over on his ankle ten days ago in training so we have had him over to see a surgeon. We’re now going to let the swelling go down and he’ll go back over to see the specialist at the end of the month. We’ll wait for the results from that before we decide what to do next. 

Brandon Gwinnutt jarred his knee in a heavy tackle during the Preston game last weekend. We gave that a few days to allow it to settle and it was a case of assessing him day by day. The game at the weekend might be too soon for him but we’ll see how things progress and, if it doesn’t settle, we’ll get him in for a scan early next week.

Advertisement block