United's first away trip of the season was the relatively short hop into North Yorkshire to face Harrogate in the first-round of this season's Carabao Cup competition.

Manager Paul Simspon made four changes to the starting eleven with Ben Barclay, Taylor Charters, Jack Ellis and Dylan McGeouch in for Fin Back, Callum Guy, Paul Huntington and Owen Moxon.

Sam Lavelle took on the captain duties as part of a back three alongside Barclay and Jon Mellish, and Jack Ellis was on the right flank as a wing back. Charters and McGeouch were into the midfield pack.

Danny Butterworth and Corey Whelan were part of the match day squad for the first time this season.

It was a frantic start, with possession gifted back and forth, but United were almost through when Armer sent a pass forward. Mellish took it into his stride but Ramsay had shadowed him and the danger was cleared.

The first chance came Carlisle's way as Charters and McCalmont patiently picked a path out of midfield. A through ball to Mellish was intercepted, but Plange took it under control before rolling it back to Charters. He let loose with a measured right-footed drive but Oxley was down smartly to save low with his hand.

United came again when a long clearance from Lavelle was flicked on by Plange. Charters tried to feed it for Gibson to burst clear but a defender got over to deal with it.

Barclay was alert at the other end when Matt Daly and Folarin looked to create space for a shot. A timely tackle made sure that the moment came to nothing.

A spin on the run from Odoh brought appreciative applause from the home crowd as he turned away from Barclay over on the left flank. He spotted Daly arriving late, but Holy made a comfortable save as he plucked the snapshot out of the air.

Carlisle thought they'd done the trick when McGeouch sent a free kick from deep into the area. It came off a head, and Mellish put his laces through it as it dipped out of the air. It swirled and turned wickedly and Armer could only watch in despair as it spooned high into the sky as he attempted to stab it over the line.

Harrogate took the lead after the ball had been robbed off Mellish in the centre circle by Matt Daly. He was able to slide a weighted pass for Folarin to chase, and he ignored the attentions of Lavelle as he bent it into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

United had two corners in the aftermath of the celebrations and McCalmont, who was deep for both, had his first effort charged down, with the second too close to Oxley as it whistled through legs.

Folarin was in confident mood, as showed when he received a touch inside from Odoh. Holy had to go full length to make the parry as an 18-yard screamer threatened to find a way.

The Cumbrians had four against three as Gibson nipped in on the halfway line to take charge. Plange peeled off, but the through ball had just too much on it and Oxley was able to spread himself and get in the way at a very tight angle.

Keeper Tomas Holy was needed again just before the break when Thomson swept a free kick to the back stick. Burrell met it on the leap but the stopper had tracked it to make an important catch.

Town had three corners leading into half-time, with the run brought to an end by a punch from Holy.

But there was a let-off for the hosts when a poor clearance was snaffled up by Mellish. He went for a placement as he strode forward, but Oxley got enough of a leg on it to send it onto the bar. Gibson tried to get his head on the rebound but that was put away to safety.

Into added time and a centre from Sutton was greeted by a toe poke from Folarin, just eight yards out. It lacked the power to truly test the target.

Ryan Edmondson, Callum Guy, Sean Maguire and Jack Robinson were on for the second half as manager Paul Simpson changed things up, with Jack Armer, Jordan Gibson, Sam Lavelle and Dylan McGeouch onto the bench.

That meant a switch to a 4-3-3 formation with Maguire, Plange and Edmondson up front.

The opening 10 minutes stuttered along, with neither side claiming dominance, but Carlisle looked to bite back after Maguire spread it wide to McCalmont. A deflected cross was challenged for by Edmondson, and it sat up nicely for Charters to rifle. The block ricocheted to Guy, but he couldn't keep it down and it flew off into the night sky.

Harrogate responded with a neat move of their own as it was played out for Odoh to deliver. Sutton slid in but he was under pressure and he could only guide it into the adveritising hoardings.

Odoh was felled by Ellis moments later just as he shaped to pull the trigger, and Thomson was a whisker away with a 19-yard fizzer that was just an inch too high.

A long ball was taken down well by Edmondson as the blue shirts had men to spare, and McCalmont asked for it as he sprinted up in support. Oxley pulled his hands out of the way as it gathered pace and height.

Striker Ryan Edmondson almost created something from nothing when he stepped across to leave Mattock empty-handed. He raced away before sending it long, but it had too much on it and Plange was forced wide.

United probed down the left flank, without finding purchase, but Harrogate also had their moments. Sutton broke, with Muldoon at his shoulder, and James Daly then asked for it on his boot. He rattled a poor effort into the clouds.

The Blues were awarded a penalty when Maguire put Charters through, and the referee had no hesitation as Oxley sliced Charters down. Ryan Edmondson went for a stutter in the run-up, and he sent the keeper the wrong way, but he got his bearings wrong as he scuffed it past the post.

James Daly and Holy got in a tussle as there was confusion when a huge kick forward bounced free, but the keeper recovered to stop the follow up shot.

Mellish had to scamper to stop Foulds from going one-against-one with Holy, and his boot was enough to spare the strike.

Guy picked out Butterworth late in the day, and the lively forward skinned his man only to see his cross hit a yellow shirt.

Butterworth was unlucky again deep into time added on when an Edmondson header fell into his path. He caught the volley on the full but it took a deflection and Oxley fell gratefully on it.

And it was Butterwoth who had the last chance of the encounter when he headed an Edmondson cross at the nets from the edge of the area. Oxley once again pulled it into his chest.



Harrogate Town - Folarin (23)



Harrogate Town - Oxley, Mattock, Falkingham (c) (Cornelius 79), Burell, Thomson, Odoh (J Daly 69), M Daly, Folarin (Muldoon 70), Sutton (L Gibson 79), Rasay, Foulds. Subs - Thomas (gk), Sims, O'Connor, Horbury, Ilesanmi.

Carlisle United - Holy, Ellis, Barclay, Lavelle (c) (Maguire 46), Mellish, Armer (Robinson 46), McCalmont, McGeouch (Guy 46), Charters, Gibson (Edmondson 46), Plange (Butterworth 71). Subs - Breeze, Garner, Harris, Whelan.


Match officials

Referee - Matt Corlett
Assistant Referee 1 - Callum Jones
Assistant Referee 2 - Alex Gray
Fourth Official - Aaron Bannister
Observer - John Jones


Attendance - 2,177 (450)

Read Time: 7 mins