Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 3 - 0 Tranmere

Report from the Tuesday night friendly

23 July 2019

Carlisle United rounded off their run of home friendly fixtures against League One side Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday night.

And, following a stuttering start, they got their football going and controlled the game, with some individual stand-out performances to complement a solid team display. 

The visitors had the first chance of the evening when a whipped corner fell nicely for Monthe. He put his laces through the ball but it crashed down off the underside of the bar before being swept away to safety by Mellish.

Keeper Adam Collin then reacted well to save a deflected drive from Banks, and United had to concentrate as another dangerous corner pinged around inside the area.

Carlisle started to settle and a sweeping pass from Webster found McKirdy on the run. The wide man drove at the heart of the defence but he scuffed his shot and Davies was able to save comfortably.

The action started to flow and a ricochet from a loose pass sent Jennings into space. He shot early but his dipping rasper smashed back off the woodwork.

The Blues deservedly took the lead when McKirdy showed real purpose to go through three challenges on his way into the area. He looked up to see Galloway arriving late, and an instinctive punt from the second-year midfielder needed a parry from the stopper. Striker Kwame Thomas was on hand to pop the rebound into the waiting net.

The lively McKirdy crunched a back post volley from a Mellish cross right at Davies as United started to dictate the pace of the game, but Rovers were left to rue their luck once more when Morris dropped a shoulder before letting one fly at the other end. It spun past Collin but rattled back off the top of the bar.

Carlisle pressed for a second and they got their reward when Galloway slipped McKirdy through on the overlap. He dinked a lovely reverse ball towards Thomas and the striker doubled his tally for the evening with a stunning first time finish.

Multiple changes slowed the pace of the game down after the break but there were half chances for McKirdy and Thomas as the better of the play continued to come from the hosts. 

And it became a night to remember for first year Lewis Bell when Armstrong clipped a beauty of pass into the youngster's path. He made no mistake as he drilled his shot from the angle into the bottom corner. 

Jennings and Payne went close for Rovers as the game went into its closing stages, but Carlisle shut up shop and rode the game out to claim a well-deserved victory.



Carlisle United - Thomas (19, 40), Bell (68)



Carlisle United - Collin, Elliott (Barnes 60), Mellish (Armstrong 60), Jones (Charters 45), Scougall (Brunt 45), McKirdy (Birch 60), Thomas (Bell 60), Webster (Branthwaite 45), Galloway (Wilson 69), Bridge (Sagaf 45), Knight-Percival (Hayden 45). Subs - Gray. 

Tranmere: Davies (c) (Pilling 72), Banks (Woods 60), Jennings, Potter (Payne 45), Monthe (Gilmour 60), Perkins, Miller (Ponticelli 45), Morris (Mullin 60), Ray, Ridehalgh (trialist 45), Caprice (Nelson 60). Subs - Spellman, Thompson, Walker-Rice.


Referee - Mr Anthony Backhouse

Attendance - 1,015 (71 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account