Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Chester 0 - 0 United

Report from the Tuesday night away friendly

16 July 2019

United's third pre-season friendly was against conference north side Chester FC on Tuesday night.

Former-Blues Simon Grand, Danny Livesey and George Waring were within the home ranks of a conference north said which boasted plenty of football league experience. 

An often feisty encounter saw United reduced to ten men just before the break when Chester’s Kevin Roberts went to ground following an angry tussle for possession with Hallam Hope.

Referee Ed Duckworth had no hesitation in showing the red card for what he deemed to be violent conduct, and United boss Steven Pressley spoke after the game about the need to review the footage before making any decision on what to do next about the incident.

Carlisle looked good on the ball through the bulk of the first 45 minutes with Reeves denied what looked to be a certain goal when former-Blue Simon Grand nodded a point-blank header off the line.

Hope and Scougall saw efforts go wide, and Hope was thwarted once more when he jinked inside and shot low. Griffiths spread himself to make an excellent save.

Resolute defending from both teams kept the score cards clean, but it was the red card which took centre stage as the half ended on an angry note.

A much younger second half Carlisle side showed excellent determination in defence as they dealt with the opposition’s one-man advantage with some timely tackles and excellent blocks.

Louis Gray produced an eye-catching save when he got down to parry a fierce drive from Elliott, and Danny Livesey was disappointed not to notch against his old side when he jumped high to meet a teasing corner. Gray had it covered as it dropped into the side netting.

Carlisle started to show attacking intent in the latter stages, with Buckley-Ricketts getting forward well, and Kerr had Roberts scrambling when he broke through following a good move. His angled shot was going in until the sub stopper stuck out a hand.



Chester City - Roberts, Grand

Carlisle United - Hope [sent off]



Chester City - Griffiths (T Roberts 46), K Roberts, Waters, Stopforth (Thomson 83), Livesey, Grand, Morgan (Burton 46), G Roberts (Jackson 46), Waring (Dudley 70), D Elliott (Marsh-Hughes 79), Mahon (Murray 70).

Carlisle United - Gray, C Elliott (Duffus 46), Mellish (Branthwaite 60), Webster (Hayden 60), Knight-Percival (Birch 60), Jones (Armstrong 60), Bridge (Charters 46), Scougall (Brunt 60), McKirdy (Kerr 60), Hope, Reeves (Buckley-Ricketts 46). Subs not used - Collin, Galloway. 


Referee - Mr Ed Duckworth

Attendance - 598

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account