Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: United 4 - 2 Blackpool

Season under way for the under-18s

6 August 2019

The young Blues kicked off the new season with a rearranged home fixture against Blackpool on Tuesday afternoon.

And they put on an impressive show as they kept the ball well, created chances and ultimately ran out as winners despite twice going behind.

Carlisle started the game at a high tempo and they tested the keeper when good football brought Galloway in from the flank. Bell and Charters got involved before a dipping cross was met by a header from Soper. It took a touch off a defender and squirmed past the upright. 

The young Blues kept the deliveries coming, but they couldn't find the final touch they needed and a string of half chances went begging.

The Tangerines started to settle and a cross on the run midway through the half was met on the full by an unmarked striker. His header had power but it was always going wide.

More good passing play from the hosts invited a shot from Galloway as he arrived on the edge of the box, but he couldn't keep it down and it sailed over the bar.

The nippy Lewis Bell then went on a charge and his cut back ricocheted off the shin of a defender and onto the outside of the post. 

Disaster struck for the Cumbrians just before the break when they lost control of possession from a throw deep inside their own half. Blackpool pounced and they capitalised on nervy defending to pop the ball into the back of the net.

United thought they'd pulled things level on the stroke of half time when Galloway ripped another stinging delivery into the mix. Armstrong got there but he couldn't quite shape his volley and the moment was gone.

Constructive half time comments from Eric Kinder and Mark Birch sent the players out for the second period with fire in their bellies and they were back on terms just two minutes after the restart when Kyle Soper made no mistake from a fine, angled cross.

However, they received an immediate slap in the face when the away side sent a long ball forward. Robinson came, but the big striker got there just a moment before him and the glanced header bounced slowly over the line.

Carlisle picked up the pace once again and a firm parry was needed from a rasping Galloway effort as it threatened to make its way into the top corner. 

It was a superb crunching thunderbolt from Armstrong which brought it back to 2-2 just after the hour as he kept his cool before slamming a loose ball past a despairing dive.

Home tails were up, and the hosts took the lead for the first time on 67 minutes when Taylor Charters lined up a 22-yard free kick. He bent it cleanly and the keeper could only watch as it skipped over the line.

The points were wrapped up with 20 minutes left to play when a testing ball into the box was eventually clinically finished by Charters, and it became about managing the game through the closing stages as the Blues saw their way through to their first three points of the campaign without any further scares. 

United - Robinson, Barnes, Wilson, Branthwaite, Birch, Armstrong, Walton (Swailes 78), Charters, Bell, Soper (Leslie 61), Galloway. Subs - Breeze, Rooks.

Goals - Soper (48), Armstong (62), Charters (67, 70)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account