Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Penrith 0 - 5 United

Report from the Tuesday evening away game at Frenchfield Park

11 July 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Penrith 0 - 5 United

Report from the Tuesday evening away game at Frenchfield Park

11 July 2017

United travelled to Penrith for their second pre-season friendly of the summer schedule.

Below is a minute-by-minute report from the game.

1' Penrith fashioned an early chance as Coleman was played into the area. He turned his man but the shot angled across the face of goal and bounced harmlessly behind.

2' United took the lead when Nicky Adams found space on the left flank. His cross found Shaun Miller inside the area and he guided it over the line.

7' Another chance for Shaun Miller as he took a touch from a Lambe pass inside the area. His effort had power but it flew wide.

9' Lovely through ball from Lambe sent the trialist striker on his way. His first touch set up the shot but he was quickly smothered by two defenders.

11' More good attacking play from United saw Adams find Miller. He took it into his stride but Copland was off his line to make a fine block save on the penalty spot.

14' Devitt, Adams and Lambe combined with some excellent passes to pick a way through the back line. Shaun Miller made a move to take it on but his first time shot was easy for the keeper to save.

18' Shaun Miller tried his luck from 35 yards with an attempted lob. He struck it well but it floated high.

19' A short corner routine left Nabi in acres of space. He tried to pick his spot but his effort was hurried and it angled over the target.

26' A quickly taken free kick left Devitt with options. He went for a shot as Penrith hesitated but the keeper watched it all the way.

31' An inswinging free kick from Adams found the trialist striker in a good position five yards out. He got a volley to it but it spooned over the bar.

37' Adams and Devitt exchanged short passes for a 24-yard free kick routine. Wide man Jamie Devitt let fly with an unstoppable shot which rattled into the top corner.

40' A lovely ball over the top was taken down by the trialist striker. He drew the keeper and stroked it into the  bottom corner.

46' An early second half chance for Hope as he raced onto a ball over the top. He had to stretch as he trid to lob the stopper but it angled wide of the upright.

49' A cut-back from Hope found Joyce in the area. His shot was blocked and Tom Miller rifled the loose ball over the bar from distance.

53' Grainger bent inside when he received a pass from Egan. He went for a right-footed shot but it curved wickedly and smashed into the advertising hoardings.

58' Etuhu nipped in to steal possession in a dangerous area. He fed the ball into the box and Egan was unlucky as his attempt deflected over the bar.

68' United built well through midfield and Egan kept things tight as he waited for a pass. Hallam Hope stepped out, spun, and drilled a fantastic shot into the roof of the net.

76' Midfielder Luke Joyce sprinted onto the end of a cross from Tom Miller to guide the ball over the line from a tight angle.

81' A great save from the Penrith keeper as Danny Grainger arrived late to head down from close range.

87' Hallam Hope skewed a volley wide as he took the ball into his stride with United well on top.



Carlisle United - S Miller (2), Devitt (37), D Trialist (40), Hope (68), Joyce (76)



Penrith - Copland, Lawson, Dickinson, Grant Davidson, Bowman, Main, Hebson, Crozier, Coleman, Gardner, Bousfield. Subs - Paul, Luke Miller, Moynan, Hodgson, Street, Murray, Bell, Simpson, Nicky Davidson, Roper.

Carlisle United first half - A Trialist, B Trialist, Liddle, Ellis, C Trialist, Lambe, Devitt, Nabi, Adams, D Trialist, Shaun Miller.

Carlisle United second half - E Trialist, Tom Miller, Brisley, Parkes, Grainger, Salkeld, Joyce, Etuhu, Egan (Holt 73), Hope, F Trialist (Papa 68).


Referee - Mr Paul Best

Attendance - 810

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account