Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: United 1 - 4 Blackpool

Report from the Tuesday afternoon youth game

5 December 2017

United were left with too much to do as visitors Blackpool overcame a slow start to the proceedings to earn themselves a three-goal lead heading into the break.

Midfielder Max Cowburn scored the goal of the game to give the Blues hope, but the Seasiders had already bagged themselves a disputed fourth goal to help to make sure of the points.

The Blues started brightly and McCarron twisted and turned his way into a crossing position with men in the box. His low delivery was cleared but Dixon picked up the loose pieces and drilled a shot through bodies. The keeper was well placed to gather it up.

Carlisle continued to enjoy the bulk of possession and Cowburn did well to get past his man during what was a good spell of pressure. A whipped delivery was met by a leap from Kerr but the striker couldn’t quite get enough on his header to guide it at the target.

Blackpool started to settle and a cross from deep from Watkinson was guided just over the bar by Dunne with the hosts caught light at the back. The Tangerines kept going and a through ball from Roache was perfect for a first-time delivery from Williams. Watkinson was allowed to ghost in and play it back into the mix, and Dunne made no mistake from very close range.

United were stung by the setback and the visitors turned the screw once more when a free kick was awarded just outside the box. Roache clipped it to the back post and Goldthorpe could do nothing as it took a ricochet, hit him on the shin and bobbled over the line.

There was another blow for the Blues just before the break when Watkinson cut in from the left flank to bend the ball into the bottom corner with Ward completely stranded in the Carlisle nets.

The half time team talk brought Carlisle out of the traps looking more determined and a corner from Cowburn was nodded down by Olsen as he climbed well. Dixon put his boot through it but Thordarson skipped across to the make the save.

Blackpool edged back on top and they extended their lead to four goals when Roache pumped a high corner into the penalty area. The hosts claimed their keeper was being impeded but the officials ignored the appeals as Dunne finished it off from close range.

Cowburn smashed the unstoppable consolation past Thordarson when he was given room to volley, but it was the Tangerines who finished the game on top as they sent men forward on the attack.

Roache twice fired wide from the edge of the box and Sumner tested Ward once again with a thunderbolt from deep.

The sides exchanged half chances in the closing stages, with an overhead kick from Kerr easy to save at one end and a bullet from Dunne well dealt with by Ward at the other.

United – Ward, Brockbank, Casson, Olsen, Goldthorpe, Kelly, McCarron (Lloyd 68), Watson (Miller 79), Cowburn, Dixon, Kerr. Sub – Ashton.

Goal – Cowburn (61)

Booking – Olsen (73)

Blackpool – Thordarson, Jacobson, Winstanley, Newton, Avon, Sumner, Williams, Roache, Dunne, Watkinson, Shaw. Subs – Maddox, Simson, Flynn, Graham, Jaaskelainen.

Goals – Dunne (25, 59), OG (38), Watkinson (43)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account