Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CUMBERLAND CUP: Whitehaven AFC 1 - 2 United

17 February 2015

Result from the Cumberland Cup quarter final fixture

United left it late to grab their place in the semi-finals of the Cumberland Cup as they came from behind to claim victory from the penalty spot on a cold night in Whitehaven.

United - Fowler, Hurley, Douglas, Robson, Marshall, Bradbury, Quigley (Taylor 60), White (Moyes 37), Hammell, Elliott (Pearson 82), Blackburn. Subs - Eccles.

Goals - Marshall (66), Blackburn (90 pen)

Booked - Fowler (60), Moyes (90)


3 mins - A bright start from both sides and Hammell almost picked the lock when he sent Elliott clear on the left. A deep cross dropped just beyond the far post as Blackburn raced in.

11 mins - A ball over the top from White found Blackburn at a tight angle. He touched it back and went for a low shot but a brave block stopped the effort at source.

13 mins - The hosts sent a deep free kick to the back stick and should have taken the lead as two men rose, unmarked, to greet the cross. The header was misjudged and the ball twice pinged across the face of goal before United finally hooked it clear.

22 mins - More good build up play took Whitehaven into the Carlisle half and a chest down on the edge of the area was rattled wide from a powerful, instinctive volley.

23 mins - Hurley appeared to be tugged as he cut into the box but the ref waved play on despite appeals from the bench. Blackburn took over but he had another effort blocked as he tried to find a way through.

27 mins - Hammell showed his passing range once again with a 40 yard pass which turned defence into attack. Elliott took a touch and cut inside but he couldn't keep his shot down.

41 mins - Whitehaven finished the half strongly and they twice tested the target from distance. Fowler was able to watch as both efforts whipped wide. 

48 mins - Hammell pulled the strings in midfield once more when curled a lovely pass to Hurley. He crossed on the run but Elliott was disappointed to see a snapshot bobble away. 

54 mins - The hosts wasted no time in getting a free kick into the box. Fowler spread himself as a thundering volley crept just over his bar.

60 mins - Fowler went into the book and conceded a penalty as he raced off his line to smother a loose ball. The Haven man got there first but was left in a heap following a heavy collision. The home side took the lead with a very well taken spot kick.

66 mins - The lead lasted just six minutes as Hammell split the defence with a slide rule pass. Marshall was up in support and he showed a lovely touch as he dinked the ball over the stopper and into the back of the net.

80 mins - The action swung from end to end and Moyes went close when he drilled a cross-shot just past the far post.

81 mins - Carlisle missed a gilt-edged opportunity when Hurley picked a lovely cross from the right flank. The keeper misjudged it but Elliott somehow popped it over the target as he stretched to make his connection.

90 mins - The game appeared to be heading for extra time when Bradbury was unceremoniously dumped to the floor inside the box. Jason Blackburn kept his cool to place the ball on the spot and thump it past the stranded keeper.

Advertisement block