Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 2 - 1 Peterborough

29 December 2013

Amoo double turns game on its head ...

Carlisle United bounced back from their Boxing Day disappointment to claim a very enjoyable victory courtesy of two quickfire goals from David Amoo against a ten-man Peterborough outfit who suffered their second defeat of the week despite grabbing an unexpected lead.

United started the game with three centre backs and a packed midfield and it was the home side who pounced first when Potts robbed Brisley of possession on the halfway line. Amoo overlapped and his low cross was hooked behind as Guy and Lawrence called for the pass. 

Peterborough did their early work on the break and a good move involving Little and Newell brought a dangerous free kick on the Carlisle right. Tomlin swung it into the box but Amos showed safe hands as he dived low.

Carlisle thought they'd grabbed the lead on 13 minutes when Lawrence wound his way into the area with what is becoming a trademark run. A drop of the shoulder earned him some space and it needed a fantastic save from Olejnik to prevent what looked a certain goal. Brad Potts raced in to finish it off but Little got there first to smash the loose ball clear.

A quick throw from Liam Noble set Lawrence free once again and his early volley flew through legs with the keeper unsighted. Olejnik reacted sharply to drop low and tip it round the corner. 

Peterborough needed a set piece to register their first attempt on target but Brisley had to stretch to get onto the deep delivery from Swanson. Amos was wrong footed but he recovered and scrambled across to claw the ball away off his line.

Another inswinging free kick from Newell was well marshaled by O'Hanlon and Assombalonga was forced itno an ambitious diving header which was never going close. It was frustration for United at the other end when Berrett found the perfect free kick delivery from just inside the Posh half. Lewis Guy appeared to be tugged but the referee ignored the appeals and waved play on.

A corner from nothing was almost costly for Carlisle when the dangerous Shaun Brisley ran into space on the penalty spot. His header had Amos beaten but he left with his head in his hands as it shaved the outside of the upright.

The Cumbrians gave as good as they got and Lawrence was unlucky again as he arrived late for a Berrett set piece. He got his boot to it but it wasn't enough to guide it on target.

A good piece of passing play involving Potts and Amoo created space for a long range shot for Lawrence but he couldn't keep it down and it rose high and wide of the target. And United finished the half on the attack when Potts overlapped to get to the byline. His cross deflected wickedly off Ntlhe but somehow found its way into Olejnik's hands.

Carlisle started the second half brightly but the Posh defended well to block crosses from Amoo, Buaben and Potts. Tom Lawrence then pinged a 36-yard free kick right at the keeper as he rasped a well struck effort through the wall.

The home side started to up the pace and a long ball forward allowed Potts to cut it back for Amoo. His first time effort took three deflections before eventually going behind for a corner. Brad Potts was next to let fly when he connected with a sweet volley from a half clearance. Olejnik had to take the sting out of it as it dipped awkwardly at his feet.

Hogan Ephraim was given his marching orders as the action stayed in midfield when he went over the top in a challenge with Liam Noble, but the ten men stunned the home side on the hour mark when Buaben misplaced a pass and left O'Hanlon exposed. He flicked out at his man and Lee Tomlin produced a wonderful free kick to leave Amos with no chance as it bounced over the line off the underside of the bar.

Carlisle upped the pressure in response and they turned the game on its head with two goals in the space of two minutes as hotshot David Amoo rediscovered his scoring boots. His first came from a delivery from wide from Lawrence which left the front man with time to take a touch. Olejnik was committed as he picked his spot with a crisply struck shot.

And he made it ten for the season when Robson broke clear from the restart. He put it on a plate with a direct run and a low cross which left Amoo with the simple task of sliding the ball into an empty net.

James Berrett was left with his heart in his mouth with ten minutes left to play when he hung a boot out to stop a thundering shot from the right. It spun up off his laces and crept its way just wide of the target. Matt Robson earned a round of applause when he shot at Olejnik with power as he went on a run, but the Cumbrians were let off the hook when substitute Grant MCann placed the ball on the spot following a clumsy challenge inside the area. He struck it well but Amos got a fingertip to it and the back line cleared unceremoniously as it rebounded back off the base of the post.

United kept going and Lawrence had a late free kick effort which had to be dealt with as a back line reshuffle restricted the visitors to possession in the middle of the park. 

And the final whistle was greeted with huge cheers as the Cumbrians wound the clock down deep inside the visiting half and worked their way to a vital three points.



United - Amoo (72, 73)

Posh - Tomlin (60)



United - Noble (18), Buaben (42), O'Hanlon (60)

Posh - Assombalonga (49), Swanson (69), Little (90), Tomlin (90)

Sent off - Peterborough - Ephraim (51)



Carlisle United - Amos, Potts, O'Hanlon, Ehmer, Meppen-Walter (Morris 89), Buaben (Robson 64), Noble, Berrett, Amoo, Lawrence, Guy (Miller 69). Subs - Fleming, Roddan, Symington, Chimbonda.

Peterborough United - Olejnik, Little, Brisley, Bostwick, Ntlhe, Payne (Jeffers 82), Ephraim, Swanson (McCann 68), Tomlin, Newell (Anderson 68), Assombalonga. Subs - Day, Vassell, Marshall, Knight-Percival.


Referee - Mr Seb Stockbridge

Attendance - 3,904 (288 away fans)

Advertisement block