Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

LADIES: Cumberland Cup semi-final report

19 March 2024

Club News

LADIES: Cumberland Cup semi-final report

19 March 2024

It was Cumberland Cup action for Carlisle United Ladies on Sunday as they travelled down the M6 to Penrith AFC in the semi-final.

It was a repeat of last seasons final, which Carlisle United won after a penalty shoot-out, the same outcome of the quarter final win against Whitehaven AFC a couple of weeks ago.

With a mixture of injuries and sickness bugs running through the Carlisle camp, fringe players were brought into the line-up. Something which was made worse after an injury to Sarah Nixon occurring in the fourth minute of the game. She was replaced by Olivia Clapperton, who was making her debut after coming through the development squad.

The hosts created the first chances of the game, heading over from a corner delivered in on five minutes. The next chance which came for the home side was easily collected by Chelsea Norris in goal three minutes later.

The first quarter of the game brought half chances for Penrith as they started the half brightly, and they had the ball in the back of the net after a through ball played in Jodie English who lobbed the ball over Norris, but the flag was raised for offside.

As the clock struck 21 minutes, there was yet another injury for Carlisle, as Mozhgan Ghafouri went down with what looked like a problem with her calf, meaning her game was over, being replaced by Jess McGlynn.

The first yellow card of the game came on 23 minutes, after Janice Alderson had dragged back the impressive English half way inside the Carlisle half, not being booked for the foul but for kicking the ball out of play. The following free-kick came to nothing, being collected easily by Norris.

The opening goal came on 33 minutes, when a 30 yard Jodie English looping shot went over Norris and flew into the top corner, this time the goal counted and Penrith took the lead.

It was Jodie English again who doubled the lead for the home side, this time from inside in the six-yard box, slotting in to the bottom corner.

A chance to get on the scoreboard for Carlisle came just before half time when a corner came in from Emma Kenyon, but it went just over the head of the on rushing Jade Beal at the back post with the goal open.


The second half started in the same way with the home side creating chances, but not taking them, shooting straight at Chelsea Norris with most of the chances.

It was a half which seemed to pass by, with Penrith looking comfortable with their two goal lead heading into the last quarter of the tie.

The last ten minutes saw Carlisle come into their own, when a through ball from Charlotte Murray found the on running Olivia Clapperton who lobbed the ball from outside the box over the Penrith goalkeeper to mark her debut with a goal, giving the visitors something to chase towards the end of the game.

The equaliser nearly came after a goal mouth scramble with bodies trying to get a touch on the ball, but it ricocheted into the goalkeepers arms, not knowing who got the final Carlisle touch, this would be the final chance of the game and Penrith came out on top and go through the Cumberland Cup Final.



Penrith AFC – Jodie English (33, 36)

Carlisle United - Olivia Clapperton (83)


Carlisle United – Janice Alderson (23)


Chelsea Norris, Sarah Nixon, Jade Beal, Bessie Best, Janice Alderson, Charlotte Murray, Emma Kenyon, Ciara Bland (captain), Mozhgan Ghafouri, Paris Alderson, Jess Cleasby

SUBS – Jess McGlynn, Victoria Ridett, Olivia Clapperton

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account