Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Rangers 1-1 Carlisle United

19 February 2024

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Rangers 1-1 Carlisle United

19 February 2024

Taylor Charters’ penalty was cancelled out by a Thompson Ishaka strike to see the spoils shared at Rangers Training Centre.

The Blues broke the deadlock on 66 minutes, courtesy of a Charters penalty after Jayden Harris was bundled over by Robbie Fraser inside the area.

Before Ishaka levelled the contest five minutes later after latching onto a through ball and firing beyond Gabe Breeze.

The early pressure came from United as the Rangers ‘keeper was forced into action to deny a Dylan McGeouch effort from the edge of the area.

On 5 minutes, Paul Huntington cleared the initial danger before the ball fell to the hosts’ left-back Fraser, whose deep cross required the intervention of Breeze.

Zak Lovelace stole the ball from Huntington moments later, but he was unable to pick out teammate Josh Gentles who was arriving into the Blues’ box.

Fin Back forged the next opening on 17 minutes, his whipped delivery from the right was met by Anton Dudik, but the forward nodded wide.

Bailey Rice picked up the ball for the hosts soon after, but he ultimately arrowed his effort wide of Breeze’s goal.

Carlisle’s ‘keeper made a strong stop on 23 minutes after Raskin shaped up on the edge of the area and fired a powerful effort on goal, before Rangers continued to apply pressure in the following moments which came to nothing.

On 25 minutes, the best opportunity of the encounter so far was created by Lovelace, the attacker sent a low delivery across goal which was missed by teammates before Fraser blasted over the crossbar from outside the box.

Lovelace looked to cause problems once again as we approached the half-hour mark, but Taylor Charters showed brilliant determination to get back and make a strong tackle turning the ball behind for a corner – which came to nothing.

Rice had another attempt from outside the box calmy claimed by Breeze, on 32 minutes.

The hosts had another golden opportunity to break the deadlock 10 minutes before the break, a perfectly weighted pass found Lovelace on the right, before he sent a low cross across the box which was scrambled away by Huntington.

On 42 minutes, Dan Butterworth was shown the first yellow card of the game.

Rice’s free-kick following the aforementioned caution, forced Breeze into a low save.

Ben Davies leapt highest from the resulting corner, but was unable to steer his header on target in what would be the final big chance of the first-half.

Half-time: Rangers 0-0 Carlisle United

Jayden Harris and Dudik combined early in the second-half with the latter firing towards goal, but his shot was blocked by a Rangers defender.

Jack Robinson looked to set Charters down the line in what would’ve been a great chance for United on 54 minutes, but the assistant referee flagged for offside.

There was a pause in play soon after, Rice required treatment after picking up a head injury in the centre of the park and it would ultimately force the midfielder to be replaced.

On 59 minutes, Carlisle created another strong chance to break the deadlock. Butterworth showed great power to drive forward before finding Dudik, whose shot flew wide of McCrorie’s post.

Seven minutes later, United were awarded a penalty as Harris was brought down by Fraser.

Taylor Charters showed great composure to bury his spot kick into the bottom corner to give Carlisle the advantage.

The Blues looked to extend their lead moments later, Butterworth drove down the right before looking to fire across goal, but his shot was blocked at the vital moment.

On 71 minutes the hosts were level, Gentles slipped a ball into the path of Ishaka, who made no mistake from close range to hammer beyond Breeze.

The game opened right up soon after with both sides looking to gain the advantage.

Butterworth forced McCrorie into a brilliant save only moments after the hosts restored parity.

On 78 minutes, Charters played a superb pass into the box, but Dudik was unable to escape his man and make the required connection.

Butterworth sprinted back to force a Rangers corner, which would be claimed by Breeze as we entered the final five minutes.

On 90 minutes, Dudik had a perfect chance to win the game, but the forward was unable to beat Rangers’ shot-stopper at the death.

Full-time: Rangers 1-1 Carlisle United



Rangers: Ishaka

Carlisle United: Charters



Rangers: N/A

Carlisle United: Robinson, Butterworth


Rangers: McCrorie, King, Fraser, Davies (46’ Allan), Balogun (61’ Grant), Rice (57’ Strachan), Lovelace (46’ Ishaka), Raskin, Gentles (76’ Eadie), McKinnon, Graham

Unused subs: Munn, Grant, Stevens

Carlisle United: Breeze, Back, Robinson (62’ Fitzpatrick), McCalmont, Huntington, Grehan, Butterworth, McGeouch, Dudik, Harris, Charters

Unused subs: Barry, O’Brien, Hetherington, Swinburn, Allan

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account