Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FRIENDLY: Newcastle United U21 0 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

22 July 2023

Club News

FRIENDLY: Newcastle United U21 0 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

22 July 2023

United returned from their week-long camp at St Andrews for the Saturday friendly with Newcastle United's under-21 side hosted at the Gateshead International Stadium.

Owen Moxon was back from a niggly hip injury, and he was given a start, with the rest of the squad also fit and raring to go. 

United fashioned the first chance of the day when Gibson skipped past Ciaran Thompson midway inside opposition territory. Edmondson angled a run into the area and he shot first time as it came his way. Max Thompson was well set for the save.

Dogged work from McCalmont brought a tackle that robbed possession back in his favour in a dangerous area. Gibson acted as a bounce board but the swirler from the playmaker was always just too high.

Carlisle stayed on the front foot and Mellish wasn't too far away when he got on the end of an Armer inswinger. That was touched behind, and Moxon went deep with the corner delivery. The clearance eventually worked its way to Guy, but his drive was too close to the stopper.

The Magpies showed on 11 minutes when Carlyon stayed in space. He tried his luck from distance but he dragged the shot wide just as it appeared that it was opening up for him.

Holy was accurate with a wonderful launch from the back that bounced nicely for the marauding Jack Ellis. He went for a volley but it was difficult, and the moment was gone as the ball skipped off the slick surface.

McCalmont had one charged down as the Blues kept pressing, and Edmondson clipped another wide when he got on the end of a whipped cross from Gibson.

But the expected goal came when that same pair combined, this time after Gibson had drifted to the left. Edmondson went for a cheeky backheel that appeared to touch Michael Ndiweni before looping over the line.

The lively Jordan Gibson had Max Thompson at full length when he arrowed a strike at the bottom corner from a through ball from Moxon, but the glovesman got enough of a hand to it to stop it in its tracks.

That man Gibson was the willing mover once again after incisive approach play from Mellish and Moxon had opened things up. A crunching dipper struck the inside of the post and rebounded its way to safety.

A fizzed beauty of a pass from the trialist for Newcastle gave De Bolle and Carlyon half a sight, but blue shirts quickly recovered to make sure that Holy remained untested.

Then a lovely move down the left saw Moxon and Guy stay patient before Armer was released. He crossed early and it had to be put behind before Edmondson could finish it off. The big striker was at the near post to flick Moxon's low centre, but that was deflected over. The spell came to an end when Guy thrashed one wide of the nets from 20-yards.

A long-range free kick from Gibson tested the keeper as it curled round the wall towards the bottom corner of the nets. Thompson timed his dive well and two hands pushed it away.

Newcastle looked up for it after the restart and a neat one-touch passing move took them all the way to the box. The cross was met by Huntington and he did enough to get it away. 

Diallo took charge of a 19-yard free kick as they stayed forward, but he wheeled away in disappointment as it sailed high into the sky.

Carlisle thought they'd doubled their lead on 56 minutes when Armer overlapped to get onto a flick from Edmondson. His cross begged for a tough and Gibson duly obliged. Brown somehow got back to claw it off the line.

Moxon then used strength to burst through the ranks, and he was left with just Brown to beat. The keeper stayed big to parry it behind. Edmondson jumped highest to meet the corner but he guided his header well wide.

Holy had to be alert on the hour mark when Huntley was left unmarked. He was picked out, and a bullet of a header was goal bound until the stopper put hands in the way.

Guy put a free kick into the wall and Charters had an effort that went into the side netting as chances dried up for both teams.

Newcastle had a late opening when Anthony Munda twisted out of a challenge, but he beat his thighs in frustration as he missed the target.

Edmondson slid in to finish a cross from Armer with a minute left to play, and he almost did the same to add a third when Charters whisked one across the face of goal with the last attack of the game.



Carlisle United - (NDiweni og 19), Edmondson (89)



Newcastle United U21 - M Thompson (Brown 46), C Thompson (Charlton 46), Trialist, Wiggett (Powell 75), Hackett (McCarthur 46), Carlyon (Donaldson 62), Bailey (Crossley 62), De Bolle (Munda 84), Stephenson, Diallo (c) (Emerson 62), Ndiweni (Huntley 62). 

Carlisle United - Holy, Lavelle, Huntington (c), Mellish, Ellis (Barclay 62), Moxon (Charters 62), Guy, McCalmont, Armer, Gibson (Butterworth 62), Edmondson. Subs - Langley (gk), Garner, Harris, Kilsby, McGeouch, Robinson, Whelan.


Match officials



Attendance - tbc

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account