MATCH REPORT: United 0-0 Northampton Town

United returned to Brunton Park for the first time in three weeks for the visit of Northampton Town.

And manager Paul Simpson made two changes from the side that facd Blackpool, with Owen Moxon and Ben Barclay replaced by Jack Armer and Jordan Gibson.

With Moxon dropping out the squad entirely due to injury, Aran Fitzpatrick stepped-up to take a place on the bench.

The Cobblers had won three of their last four league games and had the first half-chance of the game within the opening two minutes.

Marc Leonard's teasing free-kick from just inside the United half was met by the stretching Jon Guthrie, who sent his header from 10 yards wide.

Tomas Holy then had to be alert to step in and intercept before Mitch Pinnock could latch onto Leonard's through ball, with the stopper showing good footwork to shift the ball away from the forward before clearing his lines.

Following that initial flurry of visiting pressure, the Cumbrians began to put their stamp on the game. A strong tackle from Dylan McGeouch in the centre of the park saw the ball find Josh Emmanuel on the right, who in turn gave it to Luke Plange - who cut in from the flank before seeing his venomous strike deflect wide.

Jack Robinson then saw an effort meet a similar fate after he was found in space 22 yards from goal following neat build-up from Plange and Gibson.

The Blues continued to press and when Plange and Gibson again combined, this time to find Alfie McCalmont, the midfielder saw his powerful shot from the angle repelled by visiting 'keeper Max Thompson.

United then saw strong penalty shouts turned away after Joe Garner went down under heavy pressure from a visiting defender as he looked to connect with Plange's dinked cross.

Plange himself would then come within inches of opening the scoring as he fashioned himself some space on the edge of the area, only for his strike to fly over the woodwork.

The Cumbrians were dominant and only a fine interception from ex-Blues man Patrick Brough stopped Garner from nodding home at the back post from Gibson's looping delivery.

And so it was against the run of the play that Northampton took the lead on the half hour mark - Shaun McWilliams broke into the box and after his shot took a slight deflection, it squirmed in at the near post.

United weren't deterred by that setback though, and immediately looked for a leveller. Gibson was allowed the space to cross following a short free-kick and Jon Mellish saw a shot from the angle put behind after a scramble in the box.

There was no equaliser before the break, but the hosts continued to apply the pressre following the restart and Thompson had to track back and tip over Gibson's cross as it looked to loop in at the back post.

Robinson would then come even closer - clipping the bar with a curling strike from 20 yards following more patient play around the area.

Northampton remained a threat on the break though, and Holy had to stand his ground to hold Jack Sowerby's rasping strike from range as the game ticked towards the hour mark.

The Carlisle stopper then had to get down and tip a Will Hoskins header wide, with the Northampton forward sending an arching volley past the upright moments later.

But it was still United creating the better of the chances - Robinson flashing a teasing corner across goal that just evaded Sam Lavelle.

And a deserved equaliser would eventually come on 67 minutes. After another sustained spell of pressure on the edge of the visiting area, Gibson worked the ball out to Armer on the left flank and his delivery evaded everyone and found the top corner.

That buoyed the Blues and only a deflection over the woodwork stopped Gibson from adding a second after he had lined-up a trademark strike from range.

Carlisle, though, wouldn't have to wait long to take the lead. Robinson whipped in another fine corner which this time was met by a glancing Ryan Edmonson header which took the ball beyond Thompson and in.

United were relatively untroubled after that goal, but would find themselves pegged back in the third minute of added time - Bowie firing home at the back post to seal a share of the spoils for the visitors. 


Match Sponsor – Story Homes

Associate Sponsor – Stanwix Holiday Park

Match Ball Sponsor – David Browbank

Match Ball Sponsor – MC Construction

Match Ball Sponsor – Bimson Haulage with Auntie Winnie and Uncle Geoff



Carlisle United – Armer (67), Edmondson (81)

Northampton Town - McWilliams (30), Bowie (90+3)



Northampton Town - Brough (34), Bowie (69)



Carlisle United – Holy, Armer, Lavelle, Gibson, McCalmont, Garner (Edmonson 64), Robinson, McGeouch (Maguire 86), Mellish, Plange, Emmanuel. Subs: Breeze, Butterworth, Whelan, Barclay, Fitzpatrick

Northampton Town - Thompson, Sowerby, Guthrie (Willis 86), Sherring, Hoskins, Pinnock, McWilliams (Simpson 86), Bowie, Leonard, Odimayo (McGowan 75), Brough. Subs: Dadge, Monthe, Hondermarck, Haynes


Match officials

Referee – Daniel Middleton

Assistant Referee 1 – Ivan Stankovic

Assistant Referee 2 – Graeme Fyvie

Fourth Official – Alex Gray


Attendance – 6,744 (371 away)

Read Time: 5 mins