Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 3 Orient

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

22 October 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 3 Orient

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

22 October 2022

Back-to-back Saturday home games brought high-flying Leyton Orient up the M6 to Carlisle.

Manager Paul Simpson was without last weekend's hero Jack Stretton, who rolled his ankle in the Tuesday night game at Barrow, so that brought Kris Dennis back into the starting line-up.

Wing back Fin Back was also back in the reckoning at the expense of the unfortunate Jack Ellis.

There was a welcome return to the fold for striker Tobi Sho-Silva - his first involvement of the season with him having picked up a nasty hamstring injury during the summer.

The teams switched ends ahead of kick-off, with the Blues kicking towards the Warwick and the bright sunshine, and there was an early setback when Archibald was allowed to run across the face of the back line. He got his head over the ball and left Holy with no chance with a drilled 20-yard effort that flew into the bottom corner.

Carlisle looked for a response and there were loud screams for a free-kick as Back appeared to be sliced by Moncur. That was waved away, but Dennis closed down quickly to regain possession. Vigouroux was off his line to gather the cross. 

United weren't too far away after Guy had been dumped to the floor by Hunt. Moxon whipped it in, and Dennis connected with a firm header on the 18-yard line. It looped high but just past the target.

There was half a sight for Sotiriou at the other end when a ball forward from Mellish was headed back by Beckles. He let fly from distance but he dragged it and Holy was able to watch it pass by.

Mellish and Armer then combined on the left flank to make room for a delivery, and Beckles went for safety first as he nodded it behind. The resulting corner was cleared.

United started to probe and they were back on terms on 15 minutes when Guy put his instep on an outswinging corner. Ryan Edmondson pulled off his marker and guided a beauty of a header past a despairing dive from Vigouroux.

But the joy was short-lived as a slip from Mellish presented Archibald with an unexpected chance, 20-yards out. Holy was off his line and the big front man calmly chipped it into the top corner, and he was able to celebrate his second goal of the afternoon in front of the travelling fans.

Moxon had to brave as Drinan threw himself at an Archibald corner, and he needed treatment after he'd got himself in the way to stop the volley. The player disappeared up the tunnel for stitches and was eventually substituted with the Blues down to 10-men for the interim period.

Carlisle were denied what looked a certain penalty when an initial corner from Guy caused all kinds of problems. It was ushered out of the area, and Guy's goalbound effort cleary struck a hand, but referee Thomas Parsons decided to ignore that.

Edmondson and Pratley came together as the penalty box cleared, with the latter falling to the floor with his face in his hands, and the red card was shown.

Mellish was pushed forward into midfield as the now permanent 10-man team regrouped, but it was Archibald who tested the target next with another punt from range. It skipped off the surface and bounced past the post.

A long throw from Back made its way to Gibson inside the six-yard box, who had his back to goal. He tried to strike it on the turn but it skewed off the top of his boot.

Holy had to palm a stinging cross from Archibald out of the sky at the start of the second half as it dipped late. His strong touch slowed it down and he was able to then pick it up.

Orient pounced on another terrible decision by the officials when a header forward from Beckles angled towards Drinan. He was over a yard offside, and Whelan hesitated as he expected to see a flag. It didn't come, and the forward strode onwards before popping it into the bottom corner.

James thundered a low drive wide after Archibald had sent a reverse pass into his path, but there was some lovely home football as Back tackled then took over with the ball at his feet. He exchanged a one-two, and Dennis had the presence of mind to dummy the low cross that followed. That left Gibson with just the keeper to beat and he didn't disappoint with an emphatic finish.

A rasping corner was nodded into the Warwick by Happe as Orient attacked in numbers, but there was more pressure at the other end as Back twisted and turned. Harris helped out, and Gibson was interested once again. His left-footed strike hit a defender's leg and angled wide.

Dennis was cute with his touch as Carlisle came again, and he found a great pass to put Harris on the overlap. His cross dropped late but it was too far in front of Mellish.

A flowing move from back to front saw Armer slip it to Gibson on the halfway line. He spotted Back, who ducked and jinked his way into a shooting position. It was going in until a defender stuck out a boot.

It was a good spell of pressure, with some frantic defending from the visitors as Harris and Guy prodded and probed. 

But more bizarre refereeing came our way as a foul on Guy and a leap from Beckles that led with an arm were ignored, only for a free kick to be given Orient's way. Holy saved comfortably from James.

Mellish had his heels taken away by Pratley when he was almost into the box, and the zinger from a tight angle from Guy was diverted over the bar by Happe.

A steal of possession from Sho-Silva sparked another surge, and Gibson and Back worked closely to pick a way through. Gibson tried a lob but he couldn't keep it down.

Beckles was punished for a push on Huntington as the pair challenged for a flighted set piece right on the edge of the box, and Guy put himself on shooting duty. He got it over the wall but also an inch over the bar.

Huntington floated a pinpoint pass to Armer late in the day, and it was all hands on deck for the red shirts as they protected their nets. 

Tenacity and determination from Sho-Silva in time added on was followed by more of the same from Back as he rode two challenges before rolling it for Gibson to hit. He was disappointed as he sent it sailing into the air.


Match Sponsor - Kirkaldy & Roe Ltd

Match Ball Sponsor - Espresso Hub

Match Ball Sponsor - Paul Cartmell



Carlisle United - Edmondson (15), Gibson (56)

Leyton Orient - Archibald (2, 17,) Drinan (49)



Carlisle United - Edmondson sent off (36), Gibson (70), Melllish (70), Huntington (72), Harris (90)

Leyton Orient - Hunt (8), Drinan (70), Vigouroux (90)



Carlisle United - Holy, Whelan (c), Huntington, Mellish, Back, Guy, Moxon (Harris 34), Armer, Edmondson, Dennis (Sho-Silva 78), Gibson. Subs - Kelly (gk), Feeney, Charters, Ellis, Bollado.

Leyton Orient - Vigouroux, James, Happe, Sotiriou, Archibald, Moncur (Kelman 65), El Mizouni (Brown 61), Drinan, Pratley (c) (Clay 76), Beckles, Hunt. Subs - Sargeant (gk), Ogie, Wareham.


Match officials

Referee - Thomas Parsons
Assistant Referee 1 - Simon Clayton
Assistant Referee 2 - Conor Brown
Fourth Official - Darren Handley
Observer - Clive Oliver


Attendance - 5,590 (257)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account