Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Pirates

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

26 March 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Pirates

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

26 March 2022

Two of the division's form teams came together at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon.

And there was just one change from last Saturday's away win at Barrow with Corey Whelan in for the sidelined Callum Guy.

Keeper Magnus Norman was back on the bench, as was defender Kelvin Mellor, with the remaining selection of subs otherwise unchanged.

It was a tight opening as every ball was contested, in midfield and further up the park at both ends, but Rovers had the first half chance when Harry Anderson overlapped to cross on the run. Nicholson steamed into the area but he volleyed wide from 12-yards out.

United were almost through when Dickenson looked up to see Patrick on the move. His raking pass from deep had the forward shoulder-to-shoulder with Taylor, but the big centre back did enough to get his body in the way.

The action started to ebb and flow and a shot from distance from Harry Anderson took a deflection before bending into the Warwick.

Carlisle thought they'd done it on 12 minutes when an excellent move brought Riley into play, with Patrick having been involved in the build-up. A dipping, deep delivery was met by a diving header from Dickenson, 10-yards from the target and at a tight angle, but Belshaw spread himself to make a vital save.

A poor clearance put the Blues immediately on the attack again, and Armer sprinted clear with the ball at his feet. He pulled it back for Dickenson to strike, but he miscued the contact, dragging it across the face of goal. Gibson stretched to meet the bounce but he could only find the side netting.

The hosts had one chalked off moments later when a long throw from Dickenson was headed clear. Armer fed it back in, and Dennis found the roof of the net as he spun to volley crisply. The offside flag went up and the celebrations were cut short.

Keeper Mark Howard was down smartly to palm a snapshot from Elliot Anderson away from the bottom corner, when the loanee thrashed one through feet as Rovers looked to settle things down.

The hosts were at it again though when another accurate Dickenson launch from the touchline was nodded on by Feeney. Gibson struck the volley with power as it dropped his way on the edge of the area. Glenn Whelan got in the way, sparing his stopper the need to do any work.

Gibson dragged one wide from distance when it opened up in front of him just past the half hour, and similar from Riley from the right flank had Dennis controlling before it came back to the ever-lively Jordan Gibson to try one. That was charged down and poked away.

United crafted another incisive move as Armer and Dickenson bounced the ball off Patrick over on the left hand side. Riley arrived late to volley the cross but it lacked conviction and Belshaw watched it bobble wide.

Hesitancy in midfield allowed Finley to break clear when he snaffled up a loose ball, and he had just Howard to beat as he made his way into the box. His punt was straight at the keeper and he calmly pulled it into his chest.

Elliot Anderson showed good strength to regain possession in a dangerous area just before the break, and he bullied his way through two challenges to pull the trigger. Howard parried with both hands, and Feeney helped it on its way.

The same visiting player challenged to win it back, and he ran along the byline, only to have his run cut short by Simeu.

An instinctive volley from Finley had Howard jumping to tip over at the start of the second period. That came after Hoole and Nicholson had exchanged passes to create space.

A huge kick from Howard was then nodded on by Dickenson, but the bearings were slightly off-kilter and Belshaw was able to make up the ground to make it his.

Carlisle attacked with confidence on 55 minutes when Gibson rolled a challenge in midfield. Dennis asked for it, and he wasted no time in getting it to Riley. The cross was a tester, and Hoole had to guide it behind.

There was an excellent move from the Blues when Riley and Patrick opened things up intelligently with short, sharp passing. The right back raced into the box and crossed with ferocity, but Taylor did well to clear it before Dennis could finish.

The Blues looked tidy in possession, and they almost pounced on hesitation from Taylor when he skied a kick. Dickenson's nod down was latched upon by Dennis but Belshaw somehow got there to stop the near point-blank stunner.

Rovers won a corner from nothing on 70 minutes but substitute Leon Clarke was disappointed as his effort on the turn went well wide.

United got their deserved lead on 72 minutes when Omari Patrick first won the ball back, then turned his man inside out as he streaked into the area. He picked out Gibson, 16-yards out, and his deflected rasper was expertly controlled by Dennis. The striker showed great composure to set himself before bulging the bag.

There was defending to do as a wicked corner was headed past Howard by Connolly. Feeney, in position on the line, kept an eye it and his clearance was immaculate.

Defender Dynel Simeu eased what might have been building pressure when he stepped in to intercept, before setting off on a direct sprint. He won a throw in the other half, having covered some 60-yards, which Dickenson delivered, and a touch from Taylor set it up for Gibson to hit. He couldn't keep it down and the thunderbolt sailed high.

Corey Whelan limped off after asking for treatment, which brought Danny Devine onto the field, and Jon Mellish was handed the captain's armband.

The Pirates sent men forward, but every delivery was met by a blue shirt, and it was the home side who nearly added to the tally when Gibson took off once again. He tried to be precise and Belshaw made the catch.

Howard was off his line in the first minute of time added to close down Thomas as he burst clean through, and it was another top drawer save to add to the portfolio.

The six minutes of time added seemed to last an age, with Dickenson, Dennis and Patrick booked as they did their bit, and the visitors missed a late, late chance when ripped one across the face of goal. Absolutely nobody reacted and it was Carlisle who took the points, making it six wins from seven for Paul Simpson.


Match Sponsor - Scott Beeby

With us to celebrate his 40th birthday - have a great day!

Associate Sponsor - Gordons Construction

Click HERE to visit the official Gordons Construction website.

Match Ball Sponsor - Malcolm & Yvonne Millar

Thank you once again to Malcolm and Yvonne - regular sponsors of the club..

Match Ball Delivery System - Ascott Transport Ltd

Click HERE to visit the ATL official website.



Carlisle United - Dennis (72)



Carlisle United - Armer (65), Dennis (90), Dickenson (90), Patrick (90)

Bristol Rovers - Taylor (90), Saunders (90)



Carlisle United - Howard, Riley (McDonald 87), Simeu, Feeney, Mellish (Mellor 87), Armer, Gibson, C Whelan (c) (Devine 79), Dickenson, Patrick, Dennis. Subs - Norman (gk), Alessandra, Omotoye, Sho-Silva.

Bristol Rovers - Belshaw, Connolly, Finley, Collins, Nicholson (Saunders 66), E Anderson, Coutts (c) (Thomas 84), Taylor, H Anderson, G Whelan (L Clarke 66), Hoole. Subs - Ward (gk), T Clarke, Harries, Loft.


Match officials

Referee - Andy Haines
Assistant Referee 1 - Gary Hilton
Assistant Referee 2 - Christopher Ward
Fourth Official - David Avent
Observer - Michael Pike


Attendance - 5,884 (637)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account