Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: Queen of the South 7 - 0 United

Report from the Tuesday night friendly

5 July 2022

Club News

YOUTH: Queen of the South 7 - 0 United

Report from the Tuesday night friendly

5 July 2022

United's under-18 side kicked off their pre-season campaign with a short hop north of the border on Tuesday night.

It was a team primarily made up of first-year scholars and under-16s for the visitors, and they were watched by first-team manager Paul Simpson and head of recruitment Greg Abbott who took their place in the stands ahead of kick-off.

There was an early chance for the hosts when a long ball forward was hooked onwards. Boyd had to scamper back and grasp it as it threatened to drop over the line.

But there was no let-off on four minutes when the blue shirts sparked an attack down the left wing. A cut-back was controlled before the stinger was calmly swept into the bottom corner.

United looked to bite back, and excellent control from Chapman saw him hold three challengers off before he brought Maddison into play. He was forced wide and the clearance was made.

Tenacity from Hill led to a turnover in possession as the visitors stayed forward and he used skill to get into box. He drilled it low, but a defender got a touch as Allan steamed in looking to finish it off. 

The Doonhamers went close again on 18 minutes when a shot from the edge of the area curled just over the angle of post and bar, and Boyd did well to parry moments later when a half-cleared free kick was volleyed at his bottom corner. He recovered quickly to pick up the loose pieces.

Carlisle almost got their equaliser on 25 minutes when Fitzpatrick charged down a clearance. He wasted no time in getting it to Chapman who let one go from the edge of the box. The keeper was beaten but it spun the wrong side of the far post.

There was an immediate break from the goal kick and the lead was doubled as a snapshot from 14-yards left Boyd unsighted. He watched in despair as it flew into the nets.

A third goal was added on the half hour when a whipped corner zipped past Boyd. It was met on the line with a powerful header.

Another corner on 39 minutes brought a fourth for the home team when a deep delivery was met with a downward header at the back stick. Nothing could be done as it skipped off the surface and bounced past the stranded stopper.

Great skill from the home winger took him past two defenders with two minutes on the second half clock as he trapped a high clearance before pushing forward. There was suddenly space and time and he picked his spot with poise.

Voortman and Pope had half chances for United, with the second period a much tighter affair, and Swinburn nodded just wide from a corner with 15 minutes left to play.

The Cumbrians were awarded a penalty on 78 minutes when a cross from Voortman was blocked by a raised arm, but Chapman was left with his head in his hands as he blazed the spot kick over the bar.

Then Pope hit the post as the keeper spilled a flighted set piece from Hill onto his thigh. It summed up Carlisle's night as it struck the upright then spun away to safety.

United were made to pay for their misses when a sixth was bagged from close range as the clock ticked down, and number seven came when a thrust down the left flank resulted in a ripping effort that bulged the roof of the net.

Carlisle had one last chance from a corner in time added and, despite the scoreline, the whistle blew on what had been a valuable experience for the younger lads against an older side which contained a number of players up to three years older than the visiting group. 

United - Boyd (Barry 46), Maddison, Walsh, O'Brian (Fleming 58), Fitzpatrick, Allan (15 Edmundson 63), Potts (c) (Voortman 52), Swinburn, Hill, 9 Chapman (Pope 46), Hopper (Chapman 65).


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account