Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 2 Sutton

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

29 January 2022

United and Sutton United met for the first time ever at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon.

And it was the visitors who took the honours courtesy of two first-half strikes.

Manager Keith Millen made two changes from the team that faced table-toppers Forest Green last weekend with new arrival Dynel Simeu marking his first weekend in Cumbria with a debut.

Corey Whelan was also recalled in a midfield role, with Jordan Gibson and Morgan Feeney taking a place on the bench.

Storm Malik did its level best to make things unplayable, with gale force gusts that battered Brunton Park, and United switched ends to defend the Waterworks with the wind in their faces following the toss.

The hosts probed from the off, with Dickenson thwarted on one side and Patrick on the other, but a shot from Ajiboye had to be charged down when Sutton attacked with a neat flick from Bennett as they released the pressure.

A long ball forward to Boldewijn brought a touch that had Olaofe interested, but McDonald got in the way to prevent the shot as the pair entered the box.

There was more pressure on the Carlisle goal on 13 minutes when Goodliffe hooked a high ball into the mix. It eventually came to Eastmond but his initial effort was shielded, and the loose pieces quickly swept up.

Brennan Dickenson spotted Bouzanis off his line when he had the ball at his feet deep inside his own half, and it would have been interesting to see what might have happened had it not caught in mid-flight as it was held up in the wind.

Power and pace from Mellish got him to the ball first in midfield and he pulled wide before crossing low. John got there to clear before Patrick could pounce.

The Blues came again with Dickenson, as he beat his man, but his delivery was sent behind. Guy took the corner, and there was a roar from the crowd as it flashed across the face of the target. All it needed was a touch, but it bounced agonisingly to safety.

The home back line had looked solid, but they were undone on 23 minutes when a left flank delivery was nodded away by Simeu. Olaofe controlled before swiping it low and through bodies into the bottom corner.

Carlisle were almost back on terms immediately when they spread play from left to right, courtesy of good work from Dickenson. Patrick took over, and he dropped a shoulder to make space for a cross. That was met by Armer beyond the back stick, but his header crashed into the post and ricocheted away.

Sutton doubled their advantage on the half hour when they sliced clean through the Carlisle resistance. Bennett popped a killer pass into the path of Ajiboye, who was already on a sprint, with the black shirts having worked their way out of a tight spot. The alert forward man held off two challenges before drilling it low and into the back of the net.

Callum Guy tried to take matters into his own hands when a clearance from an Armer cross came his way. He let fly from 28-yards but Bouzanis gathered it in, albeit after an initial spill.

Away tails were up and Milsom came from deep to help out with seconds from another punt forward. McDonald got in the way as it angled at the top corner.

Howard had to stretch to tip the dipping wind assisted set piece from Milsom off his line, and he did well to claw it away as he came under pressure.

The big stopper then had to save from Boldewijn when he twisted his way into the area. He saw the piledriver late, but he got down sharply to parry it away.

It was a strong spell of away pressure, but there were appeals for a home penalty in time added on for the first half when Senior overlapped, then curved his run. He tumbled, but the referee showed no interest.

And there was more for Howard to do when Sutton broke with a clip over the top. Olaofe rode a challenge and pulled it back as he reached the byeline, and Bennett connected with a stinging volley. The keeper stuck out a leg to make an excellent block.

A snappy and accurate kick from Howard set the Blues on the attack at the start of the second period and Patrick got there first to carry it forward. He delivered early but Bouzanis made it his.

Patrick then combined with Senior to find a gap, and the right back whipped a teaser of a ball at the runners. It took a deflection and the stranded keeper was relieved to see it go wide.

Simeu missed his clearance at the other end just before the hour and that appeared to have set Olaofe free. The big defender recovered in an instant and his tackle was clean.

Carlisle thought they'd got themselves back in it on 63 minutes when Dickenson floated a ball into the area. It was nodded by John, but Mellish was on it in an instant with a firm eight-yard header. Bouzanis was beaten but Goodliffe was on the line to make a much-needed clearance.

It was better from the hosts and Whelan fed Gibson in the next wave of attack. The substitute shaped to shoot but it struck a visiting thigh and bent wide.

Gibson forced Bouzanis into a parried two-handed save with 10 minutes left to play when he unleashed a snapshot from 20-yards. It had fizz, but the stopper was well positioned.

Sutton closed the game down well, and Howard was needed to stop Boldewijn from adding to the tally late in the day when he was played clean through. It was a decent save, and the follow up was shepherded to safety.

Mellish had a volleying opportunity when he got on the end of a Patrick cross, but it swirled in the wind and that made the connection a difficult one to make.


Match Sponsor - Story Homes

Click HERE to visit the Story Homes official website.

Associate Sponsor - Hangman Products UK

Click HERE to visit the Hangman Products UK official website.

Match Ball Sponsor - Premier Electrical Ltd

Click HERE to visit the Premier Electrical Ltd official website.

Match Ball Sponsor - Beaches Logisitics.

Click HERE to visit the Beaches Logistics official website.



Sutton United - Olaofe (23), Ajoboye (31)



Carlisle United - Omotoye (52)

Sutton United - Milsom (55), Olaofe (67)



Carlisle United - Howard, Senior, McDonald, Simeu, Armer, Patrick, Guy (c), Whelan (Clough 86), Dickenson (Alessandra 73), Omotoye (Gibson 60), Mellish. Subs - Norman, Devine, Riley, Feeney.

Sutton United - Bouzanis, Goodliffe, John, Ajiboye, Eastmond (c), Olaofe (Wilson 78), Boldewijn (Korboa 90), Kizzi, Milsom, Bennett (Sho-Silva 78), Smith. Subs - Nelson (gk), Wyatt, Davis, Dundas.


Match officials

Referee - Darren Handley
Assistant Referee 1 - Simon Clayton
Assistant Referee 2 - Bradley Hall
Fourth Official - Paul Newhouse
Observer - Michael Pike


Attendance - 4,399 (118)

Advertisement block