Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Newport 2 - 2 United

Report from the Tuesday night away game

19 October 2021

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Newport 2 - 2 United

Report from the Tuesday night away game

19 October 2021

Midweek trips into South Wales seem to have become a regular thing in recent years, and it was off to Rodney Parade once again for the Blues on Tuesday night.

Joe Riley and Taylor Charters were into the starting eleven for Jack Armer and Corey Whelan, with Brennan Dickenson slipped back into a more defensive role.

It was pelting down with rain as the players warmed up, and there was no sign of the bad weather easing as they came out of the tunnel to kick things off.

The start couldn't have gone any better and United were ahead with just 38 seconds on the clock when they broke from midfield off the back of some superb football.

Clough turned possession over in midfield and he ran forward before bringing Riley into play, who had charged forward on the overlap. He clipped an intelligent pass inside to Clough, who backheeled a clever return into his path, with the pair by now deep inside the area.

Riley was onto it with neat control and he calmly slotted it past the rooted keeper who could only watch in disbelief as his guard was breached from close range.

Newport looked to respond and a cross from Dolan had to be guided behind by McDonald. The skipper placed the ball for the corner and he swiftly rolled it into the path of the lurking Dom Telford. His first-time effort had power but it whipped just over the bar.

A shot from distance from Willmott was deflected over as the Exiles came again, but Alessandra was there to complete the clearance after Clarke had mistimed his header from that particular set piece.

More good football followed from Carlisle as Clough and Riley combined in midfield. They almost picked a way through for Alessandra but the offside flag went up.

Howard was needed on 15 minutes when Dolan took charge of a 19-yard free kick, from the angle of the box. It dipped over the wall but the alert stopper clawed it away with both hands.

The Blues were dangerous moments later when Riley surged forward, into the home half. He spotted Gibson, who took over with a drop of the shoulder and a fizzed snapshot. Day got there to tip it over his bar.

A winding run from Dickenson followed and his low cross found Clough, who dinked it over his marker as he shaped to shoot. The ball ricocheted and Alessandra was there, but Upson took it off his toe.

The visitors looked lively and both Clough and Mellish were blocked as they tried to make an Alessandra dummy count.

But Newport were back on terms courtesy of a lightning quick break as fleet of foot created space in the middle of the park. Haynes was suddenly free and clear and he wasted no time in picking out Telford, who had his back to goal, 17-yards out. A turn and a rifled shot left Howard with no chance.

The Cumbrians attacked from the restart with Gibson on the heels of Demetriou to regain possession. Mellish had his effort charged down, and Alessandra was pulled up for going in too hard on Day as the ball floated loose.

It proved to be a big moment as Telford received a short pass before going on a sprint. It opened up in front of him, so he kept going and going, and he was eventually able to pick his spot with a measured finish that somehow evaded the dive from Howard.

Another push forward from Cooper caught United light at the back on the left flank as he went beyond Haynes to take the ball at his feet. He had just one thing in mind and he thought he'd added to the tally when his toe poke diverted off Feeney. Howard was stranded, but it smacked back off the post and through a ruck of bodies. Willmott caught his volley cleanly but Howard was waiting.

A pull on the shirt from McDonald on Baker-Richardson gave the Exiles a free kick on the 22-yard line in time added for the period, and Dolan was an inch away from bulging the net when he once again popped it over the wall.

Another downpour accompanied the whistle to start the second half and Norman went wide to create space for a cross when Willmott had sent it his way. His delivery had venom but Baker-Richardson couldn't find a touch.

Clough sent a free kick from tight by the corner flag at Alessandra and the slightest of touches from him brought Mellish into play. He couldn't readjust and his volley went wide.

The Blues had a run of corners as they pushed men forward and Feeney put his laces through a half clearance when it came his way. It needed a block as it angled at the target.

A free kick from deep from Clough caused problems as a touch from Upson went only as far as Guy, and his volley spun wickedly at Mellish. Day saved as it went high, but the flag was already up.

United were thwarted three times in quick succession on 65 minutes when Dickenson ripped through the defence to deliver. Young couldn't connect, but Gibson was on hand at the back stick to volley. Day got fingers to it, and it hit the post, and Young looked to set to register his first league goal until Upson turned goalkeeper with a handball on the line. He was sent from the field of play for his endeavours, and Zach Clough put enough on his spot kick to guide it past Day.

And the visitors had an excellent chance to take the lead on 73 minutes when Gibson turned defence into attack. Clough streaked past him, but he fluffed his shot and made the save easy for Day to make.

Baker-Richardson hit the bar with a speculative effort from wide as the game ebbed and flowed, and Dickenson nodded over at the other end after Clough had crossed from an Armer pass.

Gibson then brought a diving parry from Day as United increased the pressure, and Day had to push the ball behind again when Dickenson tried his luck from an angle.

Newport were reduced to nine men with six minutes left to play when Ryan Haynes chopped Gibson to the floor - his second bookable offence.

And Day leaped to punch a curler from Clough away from the top corner from the resulting free kick as the 20-yarder bent and swirled its way towards the net.

The closing minutes were disjointed, with stoppages disrupting the passages of play, and it was a share of the points at the end of a game that had just about everything.



Newport County - Telford (27, 30)

Carlisle United - Riley (38 seconds), Clough (67 pen)



Newport County - Haynes (48 & 85 sent off), Upson (sent off 65 ... handball)

Carlisle United - McDonald (13), Mellish (21)



Newport County - Day, Norman, Haynes, Upson, Clarke, Willmott, Dolan (c), Baker-Richardson (Lewis 88), Telford (Fisher 83), Demetriou, Cooper (Azaz 71) Subs - Townsend (gk), Abraham, Ellison, Cain.

Carlisle United - Howard, Riley, McDonald, Feeney, Dickenson, Charters, Guy, Mellish (Young 61), Gibson, Alessandra (Armer 61), Clough (Fishburn 90). Subs - Jensen (gk), Dinzeyi, Whelan, Mampala.


Match officials

Referee - David Rock
Assistant Referee 1 - Declan O'Shea
Assistant Referee 2 - Grant Taylor
Fourth Official - Ollie Williams
Observer - Craig Cox


Attendance - 2,962 (108 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account