Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 2 Morecambe

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

22 February 2020

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 2 Morecambe

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

22 February 2020

It was a local derby for the Blues on Saturday afternoon as Morecambe made the short trip north to Brunton Park.

Just one defeat in seven league outings took United into the game in confident mood and Chris Beech stuck with the same starting eleven that had performed so well at Crawley last weekend.

Storm conditions greeted the teams once again ahead of kick off, and United chose to have the gusts at their backs as they kicked towards the Waterworks End in the first half.

Both teams took time to find their bearings as almost every pass was affected, and an early corner for Morecambe summed things up as it swirled this way and that as it dropped out of the air. Collin punched it and Anderton helped it on its way.

Wide man Nathan Thomas used the conditions to his advantage on eight minutes when he stood over a free kick wide on the right. His left-footed effort bent round the wall but Mafoumbi had it in his sights and he gathered it in.

Former Shrimps striker Lewis Alessandra was a whisker away from registering on the scoresheet when he dropped a shoulder and let fly from 24-yards. It took a deflection off Old and all Mafoumbi could do was wait to see where it ended up. To his relief it edged wide of the upright.

The deep corner that followed from Watt caused real problems at the back stick as it bounced high off the surface inside the six-yard box. Hayden got his chest to it but it spooned up and Mafoumbi was in the right place to pluck it out of the sky.

Morecambe countered with a quick break which saw Stockton feed the ball forward to Mendes-Gomes. He moved the ball on before shooting through bodies, but Collin was able to make a comfortable save.

A deflected effort from Wildig earned another corner for the away side, and Phillips was left to ask his team mates what had gone wrong as he popped a wicked delivery into the mix. All it needed was a touch, but it somehow evaded everybody.

But the visitors took the lead with their next attack as Stockton showed good control on the edge of the box. He spun after trapping the ball with his instep, and he found the bottom corner despite a strong touch from the keeper.

The lead was doubled six minutes later when a corner from Phillips hung in the wind. Collin punched it under pressure, and the keeper reacted quickly to save as Stockton tried to stab the loose ball goalwards. The ricochet off Collin sat up nicely for Wildig to volley and he kept his eye on it well to find the top corner of the nets.

Mafoumbi had to push a corner from Thomas over his bar as it threatened to loop over the line, with Carlisle looking to get a foothold in the game, and a real scramble from a long Alessandra throw eventually saw Hayden cut it back for Patrick to have a go. Old got himself in the way before contact could be made.

Excellent control from Thomas gave him the chance to shoot with 10 minutes to go to half time, and Mafoumbi had his heart in his mouth as he spilled it on the floor. Alessandra was racing in but the keeper recovered in time to scoop it up.

Mafoumbi showed a bit of indecision with another drive from Alessandra, but his cushioned punch worked out well as it took the sting out of the shot.

And United were right back in it on the stroke of half time when Webster swept a 40-yard crossfield pass to Patrick. The forward shifted his position and celebrated his goal as it thumped against the inside of the post before finding the back of the net.

The second half took a while to get going, with possession lost by both teams in the difficult conditions, but an inswinging free kick from Cranston found Old on the move. It hit him on the chest, as he saw it late, and Collin waited to take it into his hands.

United were close to finding their way through from a well worked free kick of their own when Watt prodded it short for Jones to touch. Patrick lined up a shot but it was blocked by Lavelle and the Shrimps were able to clear.

Carlisle enjoyed a good spell just after the hour and they were back on terms on 65 minutes when Aaron Hayden was left all alone as Watt curled a corner at the penalty spot. The central defender is dangerous in the air, as we all know, and he left Mafoumbi with no chance as he guided his free header into the corner of the target.

Home tails were up and McKirdy flicked a cross at the back stick as Patrick and Mellish lurked. The stopper was beaten as Patrick's connection squirmed past him, but two defenders converged to close things down.

Patrick was close again when he took advantage of a slip from Slew as he completely lost control of the ball inside the box. The shot had venom but Mafoumbi had his angles covered. 

But Morecambe reminded the home side that there was still work to do when a snapshot from the edge of the area came low at Collin. The keeper parried it and Mellish reacted quickly to stab it behind to safety.

A winding run from O'Sullivan brought a toe poke that Collin claimed easily late in the day, but defensive doors were shut and United had to settle for a share of the spoils from their energetic comeback.



Carlisle United - Patrick (45), Hayden (65)

Morecambe - Stockton (18), Wildig (24)



Carlisle United - Watt (50), Anderton (58), Webster (90)

Morecambe - Cranston (85)



Carlisle United - Collin (gk)(c), G Jones, Webster, Hayden, Anderton, Thomas (McKirdy 49), M Jones (Bridge 77), Watt, Mellish, Alessandra, Patrick (Olomola 87). Subs - Gray (gk), Iredale, Charters, Hunt.

Morecambe - Mafoumbi, Old, Stockton, Wildig, Lavelle (c), Mendes-Gomes (Kenyon 81), Slew (O'Sullivan 81), Cooney, Phillips, Diagouraga, Cranston. Subs - Halstead (gk), Leitch-Smith, Brewitt, Mbulu.


Match officials

Referee - Peter Wright
Assistant Referee 1 - Anthony Moore
Assistant Referee 2 - Barry Gordon
Fourth Official - Andrew Kitchen


Attendance - 4,679 (562 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account