Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Wigan 1 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon friendly

22 August 2020

The Cumbrians made the short hop down to Wigan on Saturday afternoon as their pre-season build up continues to gather pace.

And a committed display from both sides brought plenty of chances, with the Blues taking the win courtesy of goals from Gime Toure and Lewis Alessandra.

Blustery conditions could have made things difficult but the players settled quickly, with the visitors setting the tone of the day with an early, incisive attack.

Patrick went on a run down the left flank and he was felled on the angle of the 18-yard box. Brennan Dickenson drilled the free kick past the wall but Jones was down smartly to grasp it.

Carlisle stayed on the front foot and Kayode pulled wide to offer an outlet as Furman looked for options. The striker controlled well and he spotted Alessandra in support as he stepped inside. The in-form forward tried to pick his spot but the keeper was equal to it once again.

Wigan tried to make inroads, but it was the away side who were creating the openings in what was a dominant 20-minute spell. Tanner sent a raking pass up the wing and Patrick did well to beat his man before he sent it deep. Dickenson was there but he didn't quite get the connection he needed.

Latics captain Samy Morsy started to see more of the ball midway through the half and it was his pass that sent Byrne on an overlap. The experienced Gary Roberts sent it back across goal as he recovered it, but Joe Garner, who was enjoying a typically physical battle with Aaron Hayden, couldn't keep his header down and it sailed over the bar. 

Defender Hayden showed excellent composure moments later to nick the ball off Roberts before clipping it for Dickenson to chase. He fed it onwards to Guy, but Jamie Jones was out quickly to smother it on the edge of his area.

New arrival Paul Farman, making his first appearance for his new club, was at his best after Crankshaw and Byrne had opened a gap with some good work. A cushioned header from Roberts invited Crankshaw to shoot but the keeper had worked the angles to make the block.

The battle between Hayden and Garner was intriguing, as neither gave any ground, and the home striker was incensed when he went down inside the area under the close attentions of United's vice-captain. No penalty was given and referee Darren Handley ignored the appeals and remonstrations that followed.

There was a real flow to the play in the latter stages of the half, and Garner thought he'd put it on a plate when he pulled wide before lofting a high ball to the far post. Kal Naismith rattled the woodwork with a rasping header and Roberts had his follow up effort blocked by McDonald.

The Cumbrians broke quickly from the scare and Gime Toure found himself free and clear with just Jones to beat. The big striker set himself and made no mistake as he rolled a calm effort into the bottom corner.

It was suddenly all about Carlisle and Alessandra was a whisker away when he spun off his marker to make space for a curler. Jones went full length to make a fantastic one-handed save.

The move of the half followed when Toure and Anderton exchanged passes as they wound their way into the opposition final third. A goal mouth scramble followed as Anderton and Alessandra forced saves out of Jones, and the stopper was relieved when he was finally able to gather it in.

Wigan were back on terms just after the break when Crankshaw pulled wide. He was at an impossible angle, but his delivery across the face of goal left Farman with no chance as it whistled into the top corner.

Things tightened up in midfield as chances dried up for both sides, but a scuffed clearance from Evans left him stranded outside his area as Callum Guy went for the lob. It looked to be going in until it crahsed back off the upright. Alessandra was off balance and he could only volley it wide of the mark.

It sparked another good spell for the away side and they deservedly took the lead when Kayode used his strength and presence to look after the ball. Lewis Alessandra took over, and he drilled a stunning drive into the far corner as Evans dived full length to try to get his hands to it.

Half chances came and went as the clock ticked down, but the nets weren't to be troubled again as United claimed the win.



Wigan Athletic - Crankshaw (48)

Carlisle United - Toure (40), Alessandra (58)



Wigan Athletic - Jones (Evans 46), Byrne (Aasgaard 61), Obi, Long (Sanders 18), Pearce (Robinson 61), Perry, Morsy (C) (Merrie 61), Roberts (Jolley 61), Naismith (McManaman 61), Crankshaw, Garner (Joseph 61)

Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner (Riley 63), Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c) (Mellish 63), Guy, Furman, Patrick (Toure 16 (Birch 76)), Alessandra (Charters 63), Dickenson (Devine 63), Kayode (Reilly 63). Subs - Robinson.


Match Officials

Match Referee: Darren Handley
Assistant 1: Mike Barlow
Assistant 2: Barry Lamb

Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account