Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Barnet

Report from the Saturday afternoon Sky Bet League Two home game

16 September 2017

United played host to Barnet at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon as they looked to bounce back from two disappointing away results.

And they left it late to lift the frustrated home crowd as Shaun Miller bagged a stunner with four minutes left to play with an overhead kick from the edge of the box.

Early Barnet pressure earned them a free kick 30-yards out on the right hand angle but Mike Jones was on hand to head the delivery clear. The Blues broke in numbers but a ball over the top for Miller was cut out before he could get into the box.

United weren't as fortunate in the next attack when they were left exposed as they pushed men into the Barnet half. A high clearance received a toe poke from Akpa Akpro which took him past Mark Ellis. The big forward had a clear run on goal and he kept his cool as his initial shot came back off the post. It was a tight angle but he was able to guide it into the waiting net.

The Cumbrians tried to play their way back into the game and they found some good deliveries into the box as Grainger pulled wide. A well-worked corner routine had the Bees stretched as Grainger sat deep before clipping it to Parkes, but his glanced header was cleared at the back post. Lambe shouted for it and his effort from the edge of the area took a wicked deflection and spooned over the bar.

Carlisle kept the pressure on and Ellis was disappointed to see his header back across the face of goal evade everybody before being hooked away to safety. David Tutonda had home hearts fluttering at the other end when he used pace and power to get past Brown. His cut back was put behind by Jones as he covered the near post.

Another good corner delivery from Grainger had Joyce interested but solid defending sent the ball behind for another set piece. Brown was on the end of that one but his shot from distance angled well wide of the target.

Barnet chose their moments to break their shape and they created a half chance for Akpa Akpro when Coulthirst found room for a cross. The big forward got up well but he couldn't keep his header down. Campbell-Ryce was next to try his luck when he went for a curler from just outside the box. He struck it well but George stepped over to pull it out of the air.

It was a good spell for the Bees and Akpa Akpro was a whisker away from putting a grasscutter from Coulthirst away as it fizzed past George on the six-yard line. United responded in kind at the other end when Hope beat his man, but his pass was behind Joyce and Miller as they both made runs at the back post.

The hosts created a good opening just minutes before half time when Grainger found room on the left wing. He crunched a low ball at the near post and Miller peeled off his man to get the neatest of touches. Ross knew very little about it but he did well to make a block as it came at his near post.

United fashioned an even better opening in time added on for the half when Miller made it into a good crossing position. It fell nicely for Lambe but his first time volley bent away from upright. The final say of the first period went to Mark Ellis who wasn't too far away with a crisp shot from just over 30-yards out.

One-touch passing from Carlisle after the break left Etuhu with an option as Hope pulled into space, but he went for a shot which curled into the Warwick. Grainger then whipped a superb cross at the penalty spot from deep but there were just enough defenders on hand to mop things up.

Defensive hesitation in the Carlisle half brought a chance from nowhere for Coulthirst as he was gifted a pass. He shot through bodies and George reacted late to palm it past the post.

United looked more of a threat as Adams and Bennett were added to the fray but they were almost architects of their own downfall again when Ellis underhit a pass. Barnet swept into space and Akpa Akpro had explaining to do when he shot over from a tight angle when he had three others in support.

Carlisle started to pick deliveries into the box and they thought they'd done enough when Miller nodded a deep one from Adams to the unmarked Mark Ellis. He had the goal at his mercy but the ball got stuck under his feet and the moment was gone.

Late United pressure was made to pay when Shaun Miller held his man off on the edge of the box. He spun on his volley, having shown a wonderful moment of control to get a kick from George under his command, and he left Ross with no chance as his excellent connection found the roof of the net.

Barnet had to clear off the line as United camped forward, and Bennett was tackled as he burst through with the ball at his feet. The penalty appeals were waved away by the officials.

Joyce also had a thunderbolt saved, accompanied by a whistle from the referee for an infringement, and Ross saved spectacularly from Ellis as the defender thought he'd done the trick.

A late missed close range header from Grainger signalled the end of the action and a share of the spoils. 



Carlisle United - S Miller (86)

Barnet - Akpa Akpro (8)



Carlisle United - George, Brown, Ellis, Parkes, Grainger, Jones, Etuhu (Adams 62), Joyce, Lambe (Kennedy 72), S Miller, Hope (Bennett 57). Subs - Bonham, Liddle, Devitt, Nabi.

Barnet - Ross, Clough, Santos, Nelson, Campbell-Ryce (Bover 52), Coulthirst (Akinde 74), Taylor (Fonguck 65), Tutonda, Vilhete, Akpa Akpro. Subs - McKenzie-Lyle, Shomotun, Mason-Clarke, Smith.


Referee - Scott Oldham

Attendance - 4,141 (171 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account