Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Chesterfield 2 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

28 October 2017

United were at the Proact Stadium on Saturday afternoon for their latest Sky Bet League Two fixture.

Carlisle came alive after the break and got themselves in front, but in the end it was a share of the points as Chesterfield grabbed a late equaliser thanks to a sustained period of pressure.

United were without winger Reggie Lambe, who was on international duty with Bermuda as he captained his country in their match against Barbados.

Chesterfield were handed an early chance when a clearance from Liddle crashed into Briggs. Dennis was onto the loose ball and his pass invited Briggs to go for the shot. It was a tight angle and Bonham was able to drop low for a comfortable save.

Briggs went in the book for a late challenge on Liddle in what was a quiet opening spell, and Jamie Devitt needed treatment when he went down heavily having won a meaty challenge in the centre circle. 

A free kick from deep gave United half a sight when the ball came off Jones and sat up nicely for Devitt. It was an awkward bounce and Lee watched it all the way as it skipped into his hands.

Chesterfield fashioned a good move when they found a way down the right flank, but Dennis was flagged offside as soon as the delivery from Barry entered the box. Carlisle responded with some one-touch stuff from Devitt, Adams and Joyce, but they also found themselves pulled back by the officials as Adams strayed just one step too far.

A weak header from Evatt from a Barry cross gave Bonham more catching practice and he wasted no time at all with his distribution with a huge kick which found Hope in space. He ignored calls from Adams for a through ball and was disappointed to see his skewed shot bend well wide.

Wide man Matt Briggs showed a lack of confidence when he took a clip forward on his toe. It opened up for a shot but he was never fully in control and it bobbled harmlessly behind. 

The first half looked to be heading to a stalemate conclusion until Liddle was penalised for a foul on Kellett. Jack McCourt stepped up to take the 28-yarder and he surprised everybody when his low, drilled effort somehow beat both the wall and the keeper.

Chesterfield came again in time added on for the half when Briggs found space to deliver. Dennis touched it on, as did Weir, but Bonham made up space to make a block as Barry arrived late.

Striker Richie Bennett replaced Tom Miller for the start of the second half as Carlisle looked to impose themselves following a below par first 45 minutes.

United had a corner just two minutes after the restart but Grainger could only guide his header back at Lee as a half clearance spooned into his path.

The Cumbrians picked up the pace but headers from Bennett and Joyce were angled back across the face of goal with Chesterfield looking creaky at the back. Jamie Devitt caused real problems when he pounced on a loose ball and twisted his way to an excellent delivery.

Rowley lunged in to put it behind for a corner, but it was a short-lived reprieve as Adams bent a beauty of a delivery into the six-yard box. Captain Danny Grainger timed his run to perfection as he jumped to power home a header from close range.

A short corner routine almost worked for the visitors moments later when Devitt put Adams clean through on the angle. The wide man went for the shot but it was too close to Lee.

Chesterfield then broke with men to spare and O’Grady marked his arrival from the bench with a fierce shot which Bonham could only parry. Briggs followed up with a stunning strike which rattled the top of the bar.

The Spireites were suddenly on top and Bonham had to react late to prevent a swirling thunderbolt from McCourt from bulging the back of his net. Carlisle calmed the waters and they got themselves in front with a fabulous first goal for the club from Richie Bennett as he spun on the ball 30-yards out, having been spotted in space by Joyce. His left foot raker left Lee with no chance as it sent the away fans behind the goal wild.

O'Grady missed a great opening when he headed over from a Briggs cross as the hosts tried to find a way back, and Bonham was at his best moments later when he somehow got to a guided header from Dennis.

But the keeper could do nothing about the next header from Dennis as he got the slightest of touches from a McCourt cross to send it into the net. Bonham saved from Rowley as Chesterfield piled forward, and that was that as the sides battled their way to the draw.



Chesterfield - McCourt (41), Dennis (85)

Carlisle United - Grainger (54), Bennett (73)



Chesterfield - Briggs (8)

Carlisle United - Liddle (39), Grainger (64)



Chesterfield - Lee, Barry, Wiseman, Hird, Evatt, Kellett (O'Grady 62), Rowley, McCourt, Weir, Dennis, Briggs. Subs - Anyon, De Girolamo, Dimaio, Maguire, Sinnott, Mitchell.

Carlisle United - Bonham, Brown, Liddle, Hill, T Miller (Bennett 46), Devitt, Jones, Joyce, Adams (Rigg 83), Grainger, Hope (Parkes 90). Subs - George, Nabi, Cosgrove, Salkeld.


Referee - Mr Brett Huxtable

Attendance - 5,102 (643 away fans)

Advertisement block