Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 4 - 0 Yeovil

Report from the Saturday afternoon Sky Bet League Two fixture

11 November 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 4 - 0 Yeovil

Report from the Saturday afternoon Sky Bet League Two fixture

11 November 2017

United faced the Glovers at Brunton Park as they returned to league action on Saturday afternoon.

And the Cumbrians put in an excellent display as they took their chances and controlled the game to claim the points which took them up into the mid-table positions.

A cross from Nicky Adams with just 12 seconds on the clock signalled United's attacking intent but Krysiak jumped high to pluck it out of the air before Bennett could make his mark.

Yeovil responded with a break down the left flank which took Khan into the box. He tried to find the back stick but Bonham was there to pull the delivery into his chest.

Bonham had to be on his toes moments later when Browne went on a powerful run from just inside his own half. A lucky ricochet left Surridge with just the Carlisle stopper to beat but Bonham did well to spread himself and hook the ball away with his boot.

The Cumbrians made the save count as a measured move took them first down the right wing and then down the left. Captain Danny Grainger was in acres of space and, accompanied by shouts of 'shoot' from the crowd, left Krysiak with no chance as he bent an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

An Adams corner had Hope interested as he loitered at the back stick, and as Carlisle picked up the pace, but Mugabi got there just in time to nick it off his head.

More good pressure from Hope won the Blues another corner as they stayed on top of their game, but a near post clearance caused frustration for Bennett and Jones.

The hosts played some good football, with slick passing finding a way through on a number of occasions, but the final ball went astray as they tried to work their way into finishing positions through the middle period of the half. 

Nicky Adams went down heavily under a challenge from Bailey and a prolonged period of treatment was followed by a substitution as Shaun Miller came on to replace the felled midfielder.

Carlisle came again when another Grainger piledriver was charged down by James. The defender recovered quickly to work closely with Hope to get the ball into the mix, but Lambe was off balance as his header looped into the sky.

United looked up for it and a drop of the shoulder from Miller left Mugabi in no man's land as the forward weaved his way to the edge of the area. He put his boot through an excellent shot but Krysiak got just enough on it to send it over the bar.

Some one-touch passing created the next opening as Brown and Lambe found themselves two against one tight by the corner flag. The cross invited Bennett to move off his marker but he couldn't guide a difficult header at the target.

The deserved second goal came just before the break when Brown spotted Miller completely unmarked and in a dangerous area. The forward looked up and waited for Hallam Hope to arrive, and the cut back was perfect as a blistering shot took the in-form front man to seven for the campaign.

Yeovil keeper Artur Krysiak was almost caught on the hop at the start of the second half when Hope shot from distance on the run. It skipped up awkwardly off the surface and he had to readjust smartly to get hands on it to beat it away.

Carlisle kept pulling the strings and Bennett was disappointed with himself when he did the hard work to pick a path through a static back line. The angle was tight and he completely misjudged his volley to leave him with his head in his hands.

A low free kick delivery from Grainger was next to cause problems as two Glovers defenders failed to deal with it. They were eventually able to breathe a sigh of relief as Nathan Smith stepped in to clean things up.

Yeovil just couldn't get into it and a great ball from Lambe was sitting up nicely for Bennett until Worhtington put it behind. Shaun Miller was on the end of the recovered delivery from Joyce but his toe poke lacked power and Krysiak bent low to gather.

The Glovers created their first chance of the half when Bennett gave away a rash free kick on the edge of the area. Bailey clipped it at the near post and Grainger had to be careful as he glanced it over his own bar to safety.

Hope found the side netting from a Joyce cross as Carlisle pushed to add more to the scoresheet, and Miller had a stinger deflected over when he found a yard inside a packed box.

The game was done as a contest with 15 minutes left to play when a foul on Lambe well outside the box brought a delayed reaction from Bevis Mugabi as he argued with blue shirts inside his own area. The free kick was quickly changed to a penalty, following a consultation between the referee and his assistant, and Danny Grainger gave his side a three-goal cushion with a drilled finish.

And the game was rounded off in style when Shaun Miller scored on the volley following a lovely run and cross from Gary Liddle deep into time added on.



Carlisle United - Grainger (7 & 74 pen), Hope (44), S Miller (90)



Yeovil Town - Browne (30), Green (72)

Sent off - Mugabi (74)



Carlisle United - Bonham, Brown, Liddle, Hill, Grainger, Lambe (O'Sullivan 82), Joyce, Jones, Adams (S Miller 30), Hope (Etuhu 82), Bennett. Subs - George, T Miller, Parkes, Cosgrove.

Yeovil Town - Krysiak, Smith, Worthington, Mugabi, Khan, Browne (Green 46), Surridge, Bailey, Sowunmi, James (Gray 46), Nelson. Subs - Maddison, Davies, C Smith, Santos. 


Referee - Mr Ben Toner

Attendance - 4,189 (91 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account