Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: United 1 - 1 Morecambe

Match report from the Morecambe game at Brunton Park

25 November 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: United 1 - 1 Morecambe

Match report from the Morecambe game at Brunton Park

25 November 2017

United were back at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon to take on local rivals Morecambe in their latest League Two fixture.

And the sides had to settle for a share of the spoils as they battled their way through a very tight affair with unforced errors very much top of the agenda.

Morecambe made the first half chance of the day with just 30 seconds on the clock when a long ball forward fell nicely for Campbell. His cross found Ellison but there was no power on the header and Bonham gathered it in.

United responded with a foray down the left flank which saw Jones pull wide. He dropped a shoulder and beat his man but Old made the clearance before Bennett could pounce. Aaron Wildig then had a punt at the other end in an all-action opening to the encounter, but he couldn’t keep his volley down and it sailed over the bar.

Jones was effective again when he clipped another beauty of a cross into the area. It had to be put behind to safety and Ellison did well to block as Hill got a touch on the low delivery which was angled at the near post.

A long ball forward from Ellison found Wildig on the run when he cut between Liddle and Bonham to take control of the ball. His first touch appeared to set up the shot, but the United stopper recovered well to make a very good block.

The Cumbrians responded with an incisive attack which left Lambe with room to work in 25-yards out. His powerful shot was parried by Roche and the celebrations for a fantastic finish from Bennett were cut short when an offside flag was raised.

Shrimps striker Adam Campbell almost took everybody by surprise when he floated a 35-yard free kick at the top corner. It dipped late and Bonham had to scramble quickly to make sure his clean sheet was preserved.

A Bennett header from a Grainger cross provided an easy save for Roche, as the game stayed in midfield for long periods, and McGurk was disappointed when he sliced another effort from distance into the stands.

The Shrimps went close when a one-touch move left McGurk with time on his hands inside the box. He toe-poked his shot and it blazed into the side netting. The visitors came again when Lavelle curled a pass across the face of goal, but Hill got just enough on it before Ellison could make it count.

Carlisle rounded the half off on the front-foot and Brown bent a lovely cross for Bennett to attack. He couldn’t quite get there, but Jones moved quickly to send it back into the box. Lambe struck it cleanly on the volley but he couldn’t keep it down.

Bonham had to save a low shot from McGurk immediately after the restart and his kick brought a foray forward from the hosts as Hope suddenly had room to work in. He went for a thundering drive and Roche did well to palm it away.

United stayed forward and Kelvin Etuhu bagged his first goal for the club in style when he took a shot from out of absolutely nowhere which caught Roche on the hop. The keeper saw it late and he could do nothing as it smashed into the back of his net.

Morecambe thought they'd done enough to pull level when Campbell fizzed a low delivery straight at McGurk. The touch was a poor one and he was left with explaining to do. Campbell then had a go himself when he found room, 30-yards out, but his shot angled the wrong side of the post.

A catalogue of errors put Morecambe right back in it when United failed to clear their lines on three occasions. The ball was pumped back into the area and defender Steven Old stood his ground and guided it into the waiting net.

Carlisle looked to pick themselves up and O'Sullivan found Brown on the overlap as they picked their way down the right flank. The cross was a good one, but it was put behind as Old came under pressure from Miller.

But it was Morecambe who were given a real chance late in the day when Bonham raced off his line and was judged to have taken a player down inside the area. Campbell stepped up and fluffed his lines as he rattled the crossbar with a thumping spot kick.

Hope had a shot from distance as the clock ticked down but it was honours even as the final whistle went.



Carlisle United - Etuhu (51)

Morecambe - Old (73)



Carlisle United - Lambe (76)

Morecambe - Old (7)



Carlisle United - Bonham, Brown, Liddle, Hill, Grainger, Lambe (Devitt 78), Joyce, Etuhu, Jones (O'Sullivan 64), Hope, Bennett (S Miller 64). Subs - George, T Miller, Parkes, Cosgrove.

Morecambe - Roche, Brough, Kenyon, Old, Fleming, Campbell, Ellison (Oliver 90), Wildig (Lang 88), Lavelle, Lund McGurk (Thompson 70). Subs - Nizic, Conlan, Muller, Rose.


Referee - Darren Handley

Attendance - 5,010 (356 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account