Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Barnet

28 January 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Barnet

28 January 2017

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

Carlisle played some good football but a late penalty for the prolific John Akinde meant the Cumbrians were unable to take all three points from a game where they'd created some very good chances.

Barnet tried to find their big men early with long balls forward but United dealt with it as they held their shape at the back.

The home side played their way to their first half chance when Liddle won the ball in midfield. Passes were exchanged with Adams and Ibehre and Liddle's cross had to be punched away by Vickers as Ibehre and Wyke challenged.

United should have grabbed an early lead when a Tom Miller long throw was flicked on by Wyke. Adams picked up the half clearance and he used Ibehre as a bounce board before crossing to the far post. Kennedy arrived late but he volleyed over from very close range.

Coulson dragged a long range effort wide when he got onto the end of an Akinde nod down, and Elliott Johnson almost scored with a snapshot from 17-yards as a ricochet fell into his path. He bent it round the keeper but it smashed into the woodwork and Joyce spun quickly to sweep it clear. A string of corners followed but the defence stood strong to keep the back door shut.

Carlisle deservedly took the lead on the half hour when Adams rolled a low free kick at the penalty spot. Kennedy went for a first time volley and he reacted first to prod the blocked ball back through a ruck of bodies. Vickers parried it but Charlie Wyke was on hand to stab the loose ball into the roof of the net.

The Bees went close to an equaliser moments later when Nelson headed a corner kick at the target. Akinde got there just before Gillespie but he guided his header onto the roof of the net.

An acrobatic overhead kick from Kennedy had Vickers scrambling until it bulged the side netting, and Coulson forced Gillespie to tip over from a 30-yard free kick as he dipped it over the wall at the other end with clear cut chances few and far between through a tight spell.

The Carlisle stopper earned applause from the home crowd on the stroke of half time when Nelson floated a ball over the top. Akinde trapped it, took a touch and aimed for the bottom corner with a neat clip. His celebration was cut short by an excellent save from Gillespie.

Liddle dropped back into defence as Brisley failed to reappear after the break, after he'd limped from the pitch in time added on for the first half, and Lambe took up post on the right flank as part of the reshuffle.

United could have extended the lead moments after the second half kick off when he Ibehre was left unmarked inside the area. He got onto the end of a high ball but he directed his header straight at the keeper.

It was all about United and substitute Reggie Lambe went close when he raced onto a through ball from deep. He had Ibehre in support but he dropped a shoudler and forced a fingertip save out of Vickers as he tried to find the top corner.

Carlisle started to play some excellent football, with powerful approach play down both flanks, but crosses from Ibehre and Adams were deflected behind. And the Cumbrians had a goal chalked off for offside during their good spell when Tom Miller found Wyke with a fizzed cross.

Barnet were reduced to ten men just before the hour when Akinola lunged into a challenge with Raynes. The referee decided it was dangerous and had no hesitation in showing the red card.

Some of the best football of the game carved Barnet to pieces on 73 minutes when patient build-up play was complemented by an incisive through ball from Joyce. Ibehre spread it to Adams and the big forward was an inch away from tapping it into the empty net when the delivery came in.

The ten-men of Barnet showed they had a sting in their tail when they threw men forward in support of Akinde. A loose tackle from Tom Miller left two men on the floor and the referee had no choice but to point at the spot. Akinde stepped up and he made no mistake as he drilled it under the keeper’s dive.

Akinde missed a gilt edged opportunity to put his side ahead late in the day when Lambe cleared a ball straight to Akpa Akpro. HIs volleyed pass put it on a plate for Akinde but the big striker somehow blazed it over the bar from just seven yards out.

Vickers produced another excellent save when Adams rattled one at the top corner, and Ibehre nodded a high ball from Shaun Miller at the bottom corner which the Barnet stopper scrambled across to grasp.

United threw men forward but Joyce blazed over and Wyke directed a header right at Vickers as the clock ticked down.



Carlisle United - Wyke (29)

Barnet - Akinde (77 pen)



Carlisle United - T Miller (20), Joyce (24), Brisley (43)

Barnet - Santos (28)

Sent off - Akinola (56 - straight red, dangerous challenge)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller (S Miller 83), Brisley (Lambe 46), Raynes, Gillesphey, Kennedy (Devitt 56), Liddle, Joyce, Adams, Wyke, Ibehre. Subs - Crocombe, McKee, Holt, McQueen.

Barnet - Vickers, Johnson, Santos, Nelson, Akinde, Campbell-Ryce (Kyei 64), Akinola, Coulson (Akpa Akpro 56), Champion, Vilhete, Clough. Subs - McKenzie-Lyle, Dembele, Taylor, Sweeney, Tutonda.


Referee - Mr Michael Salisbury

Attendance - 4,547 (140 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account