Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Orient 1 - 2 United

4 February 2017

Match Reports

Orient 1 - 2 United

4 February 2017

New arrivals make huge impact ...

The ten men of Carlisle held out to take the three points at Brisbane Road having come from behind courtesy of first goals for the club for Gary Liddle and Jamie Proctor.

Proctor was harshly dismissed in the second half, but the Cumbrians did enough to show that their push promotion is well and truly back on the rails with an impressive away display.

Both sides started in an attacking mood and the lively Gavin Massey won the hosts two early corners with his endeavours, but Collins was flat with his delivery and the blue defence was able to cope.

A long ball forward at the other end was controlled by Proctor, with his back to goal, and he stepped off his man to make room for a shot. He struck it well but it was too close to the keeper.

Orient enjoyed some good spells of possession but they found it difficult to get through as crosses were either underhit or sent too long.

And Carlisle were almost gifted a goal on 13 minutes when Adams swung a wicked corner into the box. Liddle challenged and his presence forced Judd into a hasty decision. His attempt at a clearance dropped just past the post with Sargeant scampering to cover.

Striker Jabo Ibehre blazed high and wide from a training ground free kick routine as United looked to assert some pressure, and Proctor headed over from another set piece delivery when Adams clipped it at the far post.

A run from Semedo bought a teasing delivery as Orient worked hard to get forward, and Devitt had to take care with as he slid in to make a block. He did well to take the sting out of it as he guided it back into the hands of his stopper.

United were caught completely off guard on 25 minutes when a huge kick from Sargeant glanced off Joyce's head. The touch put Massey clean through and he didn't need to be asked twice as he thumped a crunching low effort into the back of the net.

The visitors went in search of an early response but a heavy touch from O'Sullivan took Miller wide as he sprinted forward from deep. A half clearance from his cross came to Adams but the midfielder could only bend his 20-yard shot past the target.

Carlisle levelled the scores when Adams rolled a 22-yard free kick for Devitt to strike. His effort was going in until Sargeant got a touch to push it onto the angle of post and bar. The unlucky keeper was left in no man's land and Gary Liddle said thank you very much as he swept his first goal for the club into the waiting net.

The game adopted an end-to-end element and a tricky low pass from Massey was left to run free across the face of the Carlisle goal until Raynes calmed things down and hooked it away to safety. Parkes had to do the same at the other end when one-touch approach play from Ibehre, Adams and Proctor worked a way through to a dangerous area.

The Cumbrians came out of the blocks at pace after the break and a lovely through ball to Ibehre took him past his man. He went for the bottom corner but Sargeant got enough on it to divert it behind.

More good play earned a second corner for the visitors and there were loud appeals for handball as Ibehre's downward header kicked up off the surface and onto Hunt's hand.

Carlisle camped forward but a run of dangerous situations passed by without punishment being delivered.

George Waring came on to make his debut with just under 25 minutes left to play, and his impact was immediate as he jumped to get onto a fantastic delivery from Adams. Sargeant had to stretch to claw it from beneath his bar but he could do nothing as Proctor marked his debut in style with a predatory follow up from close range.

A dream debut was turned into a nightmare for the forward just a few minutes later when he was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence, and United had to reshape to prevent the hosts from building up momentum through the closing stages.

Orient piled forward but resolute defending earned Carlisle their first win of the New Year and a rousing round of applause from the near-700 strong Blue Army.



Leyton Orient - Massey (25)

Carlisle United - Liddle (34), Proctor (68)



Leyton Orient - Hunt (45), Massey (68)

Carlisle United - Proctor (68 & 75 - sent off), Jones (75)



Leyton Orient - Sargeant, Kennedy (Mezague 73), Parkes, Collins, Massey, Atangana, Hunt, Liburd (Moore 59), Semedo, Judd, Dalby (Adeboyejo 77). Subs - Grainger, Kelly, Koroma, Erichot.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, Liddle, Raynes, Gillesphey, T Miller, Joyce, Devitt, Adams (Bailey 85), O'Sullivan (Jones 69), Ibehre (Waring 66), Proctor. Subs - Crocombe, Lambe, S Miller, McQueen.


Referee - Mr Graham Horwood

Attendance - 4,306 (677 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account