Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 1 Yeovil

17 December 2016

Club News

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 1 Yeovil

17 December 2016

Match report from the Saturday home game

Carlisle were made to work hard for their points, as Yeovil rallied in the second half, but more grit was added to the clinical finishing as they cemented their place in the top three heading into the festive period.

Yeovil had the first chance of the day when a deep free kick was headed high into the air by Raynes. Hedges had space and his first touch allowed him to set himself for a volley. He struck it well but Gillespie was able to watch it as it flew over the bar.

A good run from Campbell followed and he tested the keeper when he stepped inside and went for the curler. Gillespie parried it and Zoko was penalised for handball as he tried to follow up.

United settled and a ball over the top from Joyce found Adams with time on the left flank. He crossed for Wyke but Lacey stretched to put it behind.

More home pressure saw Raynes go close with a header, and Carlisle tested Krysiak when Adams and Lambe worked space for Shaun Miller with some lovely one-touch passes. He turned quickly to go past his man and a thundering toe poke had to be blocked as it headed for the bottom corner.

The Cumbrians stayed forward and it was a lovely pass from Joyce which opened things up as he lofted it into the danger area. Shaun Brisley stayed deep and he stunned the crowd when he put his boot through a dipping 35-yard volley. Krysiak could only watch as the goal of the season contender looped into the air and dipped over his head as it made its way into the back of the net.

The Cumbrians should have doubled their lead when Shaun Miller trapped a difficult forward pass on the end of his toe. The Yeovil keeper was off his line and an intelligent chip from the United forward had him scrambling as he tried to get his fingers to the ball. Miller was left with his head in his hands as it bounced back off the underside of the bar, but Nicky Adams was even more disappointed as he stepped forward to meet the bouncing ball. The goal was at his mercy but he somehow drilled it over the target.

Yeovil had some good possession, without managing to find a way to test the target, and it was United who went close again when a pass into the area from Lambe caused all kinds of problems. Wyke and Miller had half chances as it pinged around, and Krysiak made a good block in amongst it all, but the away defence were able to relax when Raynes headed an awkward bounce past the upright.

Francois Zoko popped a 26-yard free kick over the bar as the Glovers worked hard to get back into it, but it was the hosts who created the better of chances with the tenacious Shaun Miller right at the heart of the action. He chased down a poor pass back as he harried the yellow shirts in the attacking third and was close with a lob from a tight angle which didn't quite have the direction it needed.

The lead was deservedly doubled on 36 minutes when Krysiak conceded a cheap corner as he mishandled another cross from deep. Adams whipped it into the danger area and the in-form Charlie Wyke grabbed goal number 14 of the campaign with a very well placed header.

Carlisle were pegged back with just three minutes on the second half clock when they fell asleep for a corner. Nathan Smith was left all alone and he didn't need to be asked twice as he guided a fierce header into the net off the underside of the bar.

An excellent covering header from Brisley prevented Campbell from sweeping an instinctive volley into the top corner as Yeovil tails remained up, and Brisley was the man on the spot again as he put the ball behind when Campbell and Zoko worked their way forward.

Gillespie had to block at his near post as the Glovers came again from a training ground corner routine, but the action switched to the other end when Tom Miller was tumbled to the floor as he overlapped. Adams sent the free kick in and Brisley popped a shot at the target, only to be thwarted by a block from Butcher.

It was better from United and a flick from Wyke from a Raynes pass put Shaun Miller between two defenders. Krysiak was stranded in no man's land but the ball wouldn't settle and Lacey was able to clear.

Yeovil went forward on the break and Zoko sent a nice cross to the back post as he made room on the left. Gillesphey got their ahead of his man but he was rescued by his keeper with a smart save on the line.

Carlisle lifted spirits when Wyke found Shaun Miller with a headed pass on the edge of the box. The striker struck a volley as it skipped off the surface but it was right at Krysiak.

There was another warning shot from the visitors as Smith headed over from close range from a carbon copy corner delivery, with Carlisle at sixes and sevens, but the hosts almost wrapped it up when Ibehre burst through one-on-one from midfield. Krysiak stayed big and made a vital save.

Substitute Jamie Devitt found the target and forced another save from Krysiak in a better spell for Carlisle, and the ball somehow stayed out as Ibehre, Adams and Brisley tried to finish things off during a goalmouth scramble late in the day.

United had to defend in time added on as Eaves won two corners, but they saw it through with determination to earn their vital three points.



Carlisle United - Brisley (11), Wyke (36)

Yeovil Town - Smith (48)



Carlisle United - Kennedy (65), Adams (90)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, T Miller, Raynes, Brisley, Gillesphey, Lambe, Joyce, Kennedy, Adams, S Miller (Ibehre 72), Wyke (Devitt 72). Subs - Crocombe, Ellis, Asamoah, Wright, McQueen.

Yeovil Town - Krysiak, Shephard, Smith, Lacey, Dawson, Lawless, Dickson, Zoko (Eaves 71), Butcher (Whitfield 86), Campbell (Khan 64), Hedges. Subs - Maddison, Mugabi, Ezewele, Copp.


Referee - Mr Darren Handley

Attendance - 4,636 (96 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account