Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Crawley 0 - 1 United

23 April 2016

Good away performance earns win ...

United controlled much of the game and eventually got their goal as they picked up a good win as they look to round the season off in style.

Crawley enjoyed early possession but a shot from distance from Tomlin, which bent straight at Gillespie, was the best they could muster as the United back line held its shape. 

But the hosts were almost gifted a goal when an Ellis clearance ricocheted into Tomlin's path. The surprised striker pulled the trigger but Gillesphey had moved across to provide vital cover. A touch from the keeper slowed the ball down and that made the clearance off the line slightly easier to execute.

Another error, this time in midfield, set Edwards on a run when he latched onto a misplaced pass from Kennedy. He made it past the back line but Gillesphey stretched a boot to hook the cut-back away.

Carlisle stayed patient and good build-up play brought their first chance of the day with 13 minutes on the clock. Joyce released Wyke with a lovely pass and his first delivery invited Stacey to shoot. McNerny made a block but Wyke pounced quickly to deliver another good ball. McQueen took a touch but the angle was tight and he rifled his effort into the side netting.

The pace of the game started to pick up and Barnard wasn't too far away when he dropped a shoulder to try his luck from 23 yards. Gillespie watched closely as the dipping shot bent wide of the mark.

United defender Danny Grainger had to head behind as danger man Tomlin twisted and turned his way to a drilled cross, but a ball over the top from the United defender at the other end almost did the trick as Wyke beat the offside trap. A skip off the surface gave Rose the time he needed to react and gather it into his chest.

Excellent work from Ibehre earned United a corner on 28 minutes and they were a whisker away from scoring when Grainger worked space with Stacey with a short routine. The captain fooled everybody with a lovely low cross and Ellis was left with his head in hands as his touch from less than a yard out put the ball onto the roof of the net. An offside flag spared prolonged blushes.

Strength from Ibehre allowed him to win a nod down on the penalty spot as the blue shirts stayed forward and Wyke did well with an instinctive volley which had goal written all over it. Rose had other ideas as he spread himself to divert it over the bar.

The Cumbrians were awarded an indirect free kick inside the area, when Rose was judged to have held onto the ball for too long on 39 minutes, but Grainger couldn't keep it down and his 16-yard potshot flew over the angle of post and bar.

Crawley substitute Roarie Deacon was almost an immediate hero when he was sent one-on-one with Gillespie moments after the restart. The keeper stayed big and made an excellent save as a ripping volley flew at his top corner.

Great play between Kennedy and Grainger sent the latter through as they exchanged passes on the edge of the opposition box but he was off-balance and his shot was well wide in the end.

Crawley enjoyed a good spell but a thumping free kick into the wall from Deacon was the most they could find as Carlisle defended with discipline. McQueen sliced a difficult volley out of the ground at the other end as United kept knocking on the door, and Wyke was close when he dived long to meet a dipping McQueen cross. His header beat the keeper but it also beat the far post.

The same combination brought a header over the bar from Wyke as he again dived to meet the cross, but hesitation in the visiting defence almost cost them dear when a volleyed cross from Edwards was allowed to bounce. Grainger, Ellis and Gillespie waited as Deacon ghosted in from nowhere to get a touch. Gillesphey didn’t know too much about it as it hit his thigh and bobbled away to safety.

Ibehre miscued a volley as chances continued to come and go for the Blues, but United got the goal their play had deserved with 15 minutes left to play when McQueen scissor-kicked a loose ball over his shoulder and back into the mix. The unmarked Charlie Wyke made it 14 for the season with a very cool and calm header.

Fenelon whisked one just over and Gillespie tipped a fine effort from Deacon wide as the hosts pushed for an equaliser, and McQueen did enough to put Fenelon off when he arrived at the back post in an attempt to finish off a dangerous right wing cross. 

A late run from Thompson earned United a corner as Gilliead lurked, but that was that as the visitors played their way out to a deserved victory.



United - Wyke (78)



Crawley - Bradley (48)

United - Joyce (15)



Crawley Town - Rose, Walton, McNerney, Bradley, Edwards, J Smith, Barnard, Ashton (Young 79), Tomlin (Deacon 46), Della-Verde (Fenelon 78), Dunne. Subs - Preston, Bawling, Yorwerth, Sutherland.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, McQueen, Ellis, Gillesphey, Grainger, Stacey (Gilliead 75), Comley (Asamoah 87), Joyce, Kennedy, Wyke, Ibehre (Thompson 75). Subs - Hanford, Miller, Smith, Brough. 


Referee - Mr Gavin Ward

Attendance - 1,940 (281 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account