Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: United 4 - 1 Tranmere

14 December 2013

Stats and facts from the game

Carlisle United continued their impressive run of home form with a devastating and clinical display as they mastered the conditions and the football - and bagged a string of wonderful goals into the bargain.

It was a full force start from the Cumbrians as they played their football into the wind and strong early pressure had Tranmere at sixes and sevens. Prince Buaben took control and his touch left Manchester United loanee Tom Lawrence with a decision to make. His volley was sweet and Fon Williams had no chance as it flew into the roof of his net with just 38 seconds on the clock.

Rovers reacted well and a Peterson run from deep left him with time inside the area. James Berrett had to time his sliding tackle to perfection and the merest of touches was enough to take the marauding midfielder out of his stride.

Carlisle looked confident and Amoo found space on the left as he linked with Robson. A clipped cross brought interest from Atkinson was there to guide it behind. 

An error from Peterson as he lost his balance on the edge of his own area left Buaben with stars in his eyes and Fon Williams did well to dive full length and tip the dipping curler wide of the upright. Loud appeals for a penalty came from the resulting corner when a Miller header hit the defender's hand. The referee looked but waved play on.

David Amoo called for everything and another determined run earned his side a corner as he went through two challenges. Miller was up for it and he was unlucky to see a downward header cleared off the line with Fon Williams stranded in no man's land.

Tranmere settled into their stride and Koumas went within a whisker when he let one fly having left his marker for dead. The same player wheeled away in frustration moments later when he scuffed a volley from a neat one-two towards the corner flag. 

The action flowed from end-to-end and Miller and Buaben were left to contemplate what might have been when the latter rattled a Berrett cut back into the mix. Fon Williams was beaten but the Carlisle striker got himself in the way and deflected the ball harmlessly away.

The Tranmere keeper had to readjust quickly as a Robson cross caught on the wind and swirled dangerously in the air. He got back just in time to stop it from dropping beneath his bar. 

The visitors picked up a head of steam as the game ticked past the half hour and Amoo had to help out when Lowe broke through. It was a vital block as Tranmere set themselves to celebrate. 

Stopper Fon Williams was back in action just before half time when an ambitious Lawrence free kick from 40 yards skipped up off the surface. It needed a two-handed push to clear his lines as Miller followed in for scraps.

More penalty appeals followed as Lawrence hit the floor having jinked his way into a shooting position but the referee showed no interest as he once again told the players to play on. An immediate counter attack had hearts in mouths as Peterson found himself in acres of space. The angle was tight but he should have done better than the guided grass cutter which shaved the far post. 

United had more cause for concern when Max Ehmer cleared a vicious near post corner delivery into the bodies in front of him. It cannoned back of Max Power and was within an inch of finding the back of the net.

Liam Ridehalgh then ballooned one over the bar as he pounced on another half clearance from Ehmer but Carlisle weathered the storm and finished the half on top. Amoo and Buaben both had shots and Fon Williams was again his side's saviour when he palmed a stinging drive away from the right hand top corner.

An early Carlisle corner in the second half brought more good work from Miller as he made a difficult cross his own. His header, under pressure from Otsemobor, crept just wide of the post.

It was another strong opening from the home side and they doubled their lead when a set piece picked out the lively David Amoo. He held off two markers before volleying the ball past Fon Williams at close range.

United were well on top and Tom Lawrence rode three challenges in midfield to leave Tranmere light at the back. Miller held his run and was frustrated to see a nicely placed effort bounce away to safety off the post.

Koumas and Peterson tried to keep things going for Rovers and their enterprising play brought a shot as attempted tackles failed to stop the move. Ehmer did well, when the shot eventually came in, to protect his keeper and send it away.

Carlisle were happy to hold their shape but they still held a threat as they used their pace to attack. Matt Robson picked the ball up well inside his own half and received a round of applause as his run and shot brought yet another corner. 

The crowd was brought to its feet on 66 minutes when Tom Lawrence scored one of the best goals ever seen at Brunton Park as he kept the ball at his feet. Step overs, drag backs and feints eventually led to the coolest of touches which left Fon Williams flapping at thin air as it found the bottom corner of the net.

United dominated and James Berrett made it two goals in two games when he held his run as Amoo made space for a cross. Miller controlled it and put it on a plate and the midfielder didn't disappoint as he swept a deflected shot past the wrong-footed keeper.

Rovers grabbed a late consolation when Ryan Lowe bagged his thirteenth of the season with a back post header but it was too little too late as United marched on to their fourth consecutive home win as they head into an important period of the season.



United - Lawrence (38 seconds, 66), Amoo (51), Berrett (75)

Rovers - Lowe (80)



United - Ehmer (38), Robson (73)

Rovers - Akpa Akpro (78)



Carlisle United - Amos, Ehmer (Potts 77), O'Hanlon, Meppen-Walter, Robson, Buaben, Thirlwell (Roddan 71), Berrett, Amoo, Miller, Lawrence (Morris 68). Subs - Fleming, Noble, Beck, Guy.

Tranmere Rovers - Fon Williams, Taylor, Power, Lowe, Atkinson (Rowe 60), McNulty, Koumas, Ridehalgh, Peterson, Akpa Akpro, Otsemobor. Subs - Holmes, Horwood, Kirby, Stockton, Mooney.


Referee - Mr Andrew Madley

Attendance - 3,793 (207 away fans)

Advertisement block