Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

LADIES: United progress to the semi-final

Carlisle United Ladies 0-0 Whitehaven AFC Ladies (9-8 on penalties)

26 February 2024

Match Reports

LADIES: United progress to the semi-final

Carlisle United Ladies 0-0 Whitehaven AFC Ladies (9-8 on penalties)

26 February 2024

Carlisle United Ladies triumphed on penalties to reach the final four.

A penalty shoot-out was needed for Carlisle United to progress to the semi-final of the County Cup at Creighton on Sunday. 

It didn't take long for the home side to create their first chance on goal, in the first minute of the game as Ruth Hopton closed down a clearance from the Whitehaven goalkeeper, which went out for a corner, which ultimately came to nothing. 

It was a positive start for Carlisle as a couple of minutes later, it was Hopton again who had a chance to open the scoring, but an opposing defender cleared the danger.

It was utter dominance from the home team, as on ten minutes there was another opportunity for Carlisle, as a shot from Charlotte Murray went over the bar.  

It was looking like it was only going to be a matter of time before the deadlock was broken. 

The first 22 minutes saw every shot in the game come from the hosts, as Bland and Norman fired over from distance, but the closest Carlisle came to scoring in the first-half was when the latter delivered a corner and a header from Crook went over the bar from 6-yards out.  

One minute later, the visitors had their first shot on goal, but it was dragged wide of the post going out for a goal-kick. 

United went up the other end with a chance from Hopton, who shot wide from six-yards out after some clever work from Norman down the left wing. 

The Blues ended the half well with a string of chances in the final ten minutes of the first period but were unable to find the opener. 

HALF-TIME – 0-0 

The second-half started with the ball in the back of the hosts’ net, but the scorer was deemed offside by the referee. 

Whitehaven started the second period the strongest and they came close to finding the game’s opening goal but dragged their effort wide. 

The first yellow card of the contest came for the visitors after a foul just outside the box, with the resulting free-kick being taken by Norris, but her shot was saved by the goalkeeper. 

Carlisle then drew level on yellow cards, when Beal was judged to have fouled an opponent on the edge of the home box, the resulting free-kick then hit the wall. 

Whitehaven then came forward and had a cross blocked which went out for a corner, the kick came in and they came close to going ahead with five minutes remaining, but a header went just over the crossbar.  

There was a big chance for Carlisle to win it in the final minutes of the game, as a shot from the edge of the box went wide of the target from Beal.  

Carlisle then attacked once again and got a corner, which came in and fell to Janice Alderson on the six-yard line, but she shot straight at the 'keeper. This was the final chance inside 90 minutes and the cup tie required extra-time to find a winner. 

FULL-TIME – 0-0 

The first-half of extra-time started with personnel changes as Cleasby replaced Crook, who could have put the home side ahead with her first few touches, but she shot straight at the goalkeeper. 

Soon after, a looping free-kick from Norman almost put Carlisle ahead, but it hit the post from around 30 yards out.  

McGlynn had a chance just before the break which went over the bar with the score remaining goalless. 

A couple of red cards came in the second period of extra-time, Beal received her marching orders following a foul on halfway, with the aforementioned challenge resulting in a second yellow. 

The next red card of the game came for the visitors and although it was a second yellow card, it could have been a straight red for a high challenge on Sammi Norman with five minutes to go. 

FULL-TIME (AET) – 0-0 

The dreaded penalty shootout loomed - the same outcome of the previous season’s final, where Carlisle United were victorious. 

It was 100% from Carlisle United as Bland, Norman, Murray, Janice Alderson, Norris, Best, McGlynn, Paris Alderson and Hopton all scored their penalties, before the deciding spot kick was blazed over the bar at Whitehaven’s ninth attempt from 12-yards. 

FULL-TIME (AET) – 0-0 (United won 9-8 on penalties)

The draw for the semi-final will take place on Tuesday at 6pm, live on BBC Radio Cumbria.

CARLISLE UNITED LADIES: Bessie Best, Sarah Nixon, Sammi Norman, Jade Beal, Janice Alderson, Charlotte Murray, Ruth Hopton, Ciara Bland, Paris Alderson, Chelsea Norris, Heather Crook 

SUBSTITUTES – Jess McGlynn, Jessica Cleasby 

RED CARD – Jade Beal 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account