Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1-3 Wycombe Wanderers

20 April 2024

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1-3 Wycombe Wanderers

20 April 2024

United fell to defeat in their final home fixture of the campaign.

Gareth McCleary opened the scoring with a header from point-blank range, before Alfie McCalmont levelled the contest prior to the break.

Kone restored the visitors’ advantage early in the second-half after stealing the ball in the United box and McCleary added a third with a quarter-of-an-hour left to play, confirming all three points for the Chairboys.

United started the strongest in the opening couple of minutes, creating two separate chances which lacked an all-important final ball.

The Blues continued to assert themselves with Armer swinging in a delivery from the left soon after, but Wycombe cleared the danger.

On 12 minutes, the visitors had their first attempt on goal courtesy of Freddie Potts, but he dragged his effort wide of Lewis’ goal.

Two minutes later, Wycombe opened the scoring. Luke Leahy’s corner was missed by Harry Lewis, before the ball was knocked back inside to Gareth McCleary, who swept home from point-blank range.

Carlisle looked to respond on the counter moments later as Georgie Kelly sprayed the ball out to Jack Diamond, but his lobbed effort landed in the arms of Franco Ravizzoli.

United had several chances to level the contest following a corner by Armer, but the Chairboys managed to clear the threat following a scramble in the area.

On 26 minutes, Richard Kone leapt highest providing himself with a headed attempt on goal, which landed wide.

Josh Scowen had a fine opportunity to extend his side’s advantage after playing a one-two with Kone, but he fired wide.

On 29 minutes, United were back level. Jon Mellish’s low delivery went beyond Luke Armstrong in the centre and sat up perfectly for Alfie McCalmont, who rifled home across goal to restore parity at Brunton Park.

Following the equaliser, the game entered a lull in terms of clear-cut chances for both sides with the next dangerous effort coming from Leahy as we approached half-time, but Harry Lewis saved calmly at his near post.

Wycombe had a chance in the final minute of stoppage time to retake the lead, but Ben Barclay made a superb block to keep the game level.

Half-time: Carlisle United 1-1 Wycombe Wanderers

On 49 minutes, United were unable to clear their lines and Kone managed to steal the ball off Lavelle - his interception rolled into the back of Lewis’ net to give Wycombe the lead.

Dale Taylor looked to add to their lead minutes later, cutting inside and firing a left-footed effort on goal, which went off target.

McCalmont had great chance to level the contest from a free-kick early in the second-half, but his effort went over Ravizzoli’s crossbar.

As we entered the final 20 minutes, Fin Back played a brilliant through ball into the path of Luke Armstrong, but Ravazzoli was first to the ball to clear.

On 75 minutes, the visitors extended their lead. Luke Leahy’s cross from the left was met by McCleary, who nodded home his second and Wycombe’s third of the afternoon.

Three minutes later, Gibson struck a free-kick from just outside the Chairboys’ box, but it was straight at ‘keeper Ravazzoli.

Luke Armstrong had a chance to reduce the deficit on 79 minutes, but his low drive from the edge of the box went wide.

On 85 minutes, there was a proud moment for United’s Academy as Aran Fitzpatrick entered the action for his debut, replacing Jack Armer.

One minute later, McCalmont’s shot at goal was deflected out for a corner, which came to nothing – ultimately being United’s final act on home soil this season.

Full-time: Carlisle United 1-3 Wycombe Wanderers



Carlisle United: (McCalmont 28’)

Wycombe: (McCleary 15’, 75’), (Kone 49’)



Carlisle United: (Neal 4’), (Dudik 67’)

Wycombe: (Potts 45’)


Carlisle United: Lewis, Back, Lavelle © (Huntington 65’), Barclay, Mellish, Armer (Fitzpatrick 85’), Neal, McCalmont, Diamond (Gibson 65’), Armstrong, Kelly (Dudik 65’)

Unused subs: Breeze, Ellis, Harris

Wycombe: Ravizzoli, Scowen, Forino, Leahy, McCleary (Jacobson 88’), Low, Potts (Butcher 57’), Taylor (Wheeler 80’), Kone (Vokes 80’), McCarthy, Kodua (Sadlier 57’)

Unused subs: Shepperd, Tafazolli


Match Officials

Referee: Benjamin Speedie

Assistant Referee 1: Mark Cunliffe

Assistant Referee 2: Johnathon Bickerdike

Fourth Official: Simon Clayton


Attendance: 6538 (298 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account