Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1-3 Lincoln City

1 April 2024

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1-3 Lincoln City

1 April 2024

A clinical display from the Imps saw United fall to defeat at Brunton Park.

Ben House opened the scoring after hammering home from inside the box early on, before Joe Taylor extended their advantage in the second-half curling a tidy effort into the far corner of Harry Lewis’ goal.

Sam Lavelle would pull one back for United in the closing stages, prior to Ted Bishop confirming all three points for the Imps after wrapping an outstanding free-kick into the top corner in stoppage time.

The first big chance of the contest came as the clock ticked onto five minutes, Mellish’s low delivery came close to finding both Armstrong and Butterworth before rolling beyond the pair – the latter then fired a left-footed effort on goal seconds later, forcing Wright to turn behind for a corner.

Up the other end, Ted Bishop looked to forge an opening for the visitors down the left, but Sam Lavelle managed to cut out a potentially dangerous through ball.

On 10 minutes, the Imps took the lead through Ben House. Lasse Sorensen’s delivery from the right was met by Joe Taylor at the back post, who nodded the ball into the path of the midfielder, who made no mistake lashing beyond United man Ben Barclay on the line.

They looked to double their advantage six minutes later as Bishop looked to find Recco Hackett at the far post, but Jack Ellis managed to scramble back and clear the danger for a corner, which came to nothing.

Ellis came to the rescue for the Blues once again only minutes later as Taylor looked to cut in and curl an effort into the far corner of Lewis’ goal – the right-back managed to make a vital block as he pulled the trigger.

Lincoln continued their search for a second with Taylor heading a Hackett cross towards the top corner, but Lewis managed to claim the ball with ease.

On 32 minutes, we had a golden opportunity to level the contest. Dan Butterworth’s corner was cleared by the Imps’ goalkeeper into the path of Jack Robinson, who blazed an effort from close range over the bar.

Robinson looked to become provider in the next phase of play, crossing from the left towards Mellish, but the visitors’ defence cleared.

Hackett won a corner soon after following a sliding challenge from skipper Lavelle, which was ultimately cleared off the line by Harrison Neal.

Bishop continued to cause problems for the hosts, creating chances and having attempts on goal, with the most recent shot on 39 minutes being blocked by Barclay.

As we entered the final five minutes of the first-half, the Imps made an error in defence leading to Butterworth winning the ball, before picking out Armer on the left, whose cross was unable to reach Gibson arriving late at the back post.

Half-time: Carlisle United 0-1 Lincoln City

United started the second-half in superb fashion, Gibson’s cross was met by Mellish who forced Wright to tip over the bar for a corner inside 60 seconds of the restart.

A chance fell the way of left-back Jack Armer after the set-piece, which went flying over the bar, before Butterworth rattled the post moments later from open play.

The Blues’ strong start continued as Ellis whipped a cross towards Armer, who forced the Imps’ shot-stopper into a low save.

On 52 minutes, Carlisle won another corner following neat build-up play, but it was Lincoln who profited soon after. Following an error between Ellis and Butterworth, the Imps stole the ball and countered, seeing House pick out Taylor, who curled the ball into the far corner to double their lead.

Butterworth came close to halving the deficit minutes later as the ball sat nicely for him on the edge of the area and after connecting on the half-volley, Wright made a superb reaction save to ensure their two-goal cushion stayed intact.

On 63 minutes, Carlisle looked to catch Lincoln on the break, Emmanuel switched the play to Robinson, who hung the ball up to Kelly, before the ball landed at the feet of Gibson, whose tame effort was collected easily by the Imps’ ‘keeper.

Kelly managed to get on the end of an Armer cross one minute later, but it was once again saved – United’s number nine was looking to make an instant impact on his home debut.

Following a number of consecutive corners, Kelly would have another chance on goal, but his powerful effort was blocked by teammate Luke Armstrong.

Jack Diamond looked to pick out Armstrong on 70 minutes, but once again, his shot didn’t trouble the ‘keeper.

On 80 minutes United pulled one back. Robinson’s deep cross was headed back into the danger area by Maguire, before Lavelle fired into the back of the net to create an interesting ending to the contest at Brunton Park.

O’Connor almost restored their two-goal lead after getting a slight touch on a free-kick, but it crashed against the post and United cleared their lines at the vital moment.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Emmanuel fouled a Lincoln man gifting the visitors a free-kick in a dangerous position, which was dispatched superbly by Ted Bishop, who had been causing issues all afternoon.

Full-time: Carlisle United 1-3 Lincoln City



Carlisle United: (Lavelle 80’)

Lincoln City: (House 10’), (Taylor 53’), (Bishop 90+3’)



Carlisle United: (Barclay 85’), (Emmanuel 90+2)

Lincoln City: N/A


Carlisle United: Lewis, Ellis (Emmanuel 58’), Lavelle ©, Barclay, Armer (Diamond 67’), Gibson (Maguire 67’), Neal, Mellish, Robinson, Butterworth (Kelly 58’), Armstrong

Unused subs: Breeze, Grehan, McCalmont

Lincoln City:  Wright, Sorensen (Eyoma 88’), Erhahon, Hackett (Jackson 82’), Taylor (Makama 70’), Bishop, O’Connor ©, House (Draper 82’), Roughan, Mitchell, Moylan

Unused subs: Burroughs, Duffy


Match Officials

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge

Assistant Referee 1: Graeme Fyvie

Assistant Referee 2: Simon Clayton

Fourth Official: Conor Brown


Attendance: 7103 (724 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account