Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Cheltenham 0-1 United

The match report from the midweek trip

9 April 2024

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Cheltenham 0-1 United

The match report from the midweek trip

9 April 2024

Sam Lavelle's first-half goal saw United claim victory at Cheltenham Town

The centre back struck shortly before half-time to seal a deserved three points for the Blues on the road.

Manager Paul Simpson made two changes from the side that faced Northampton Town - with Fin Back and Paul Huntington handed starts.

They replaced Jack Ellis and Dan Butterworth, while there was also a welcome return for JJ Kayode on the bench.

And it was the Blues who started brightly as Jon Mellish saw a through ball strike his heel to thwart his run into the box before Jack Armer saw an early shot charged down at the edge of the box.

Cheltenham, though, would have the first real chance of the game. Liam Sercombe broke into the area and squared for Joe Nuttall, but the Robins' striker couldn't get his feet set and scuffed wide from 10 yards.

United continued to dominate possession and began to test Luke Southwood, with the Cheltenham stopper having to get down and hold a Georgie Kelly snapshot as the visitors began to translate their territorial advantage into chances.

Luke Armstrong then flashed an effort narrowly wide of the post after being picked-out by Fin Back's drilled cross and Armer sent a first-time strike from 30 yards arching over after a corner was cleared into his path.

And the Blues would take a deserved lead just three minutes before half-time. After Jack Robinson's corner was nodded on to the far post, Ben Barclay diverted it back into a dangerous area by Ben Barclay and Sam Lavelle was on the spot to prod home from close range.

Barclay would then play a crucial role at the other end in injury time, bravely blocking Jordan Thomas' shot after he cut in from the right flank.

That would be Thomas' last involvement as he was one of four players withdrawn at the break as the hosts made a quadruple change in a bid to turn the tide.

And the Robins took the game to United at the start of the second half, with the visitors having to diligently defend their area amid a flurry of early deliveries.

But the first shot on target after the interval came from the Cumbrians as Harrison Neal forced Southwood into a stop after firing low from distance.

The home stopper then had to claw a Jon Mellish cross away as it threatened to drop in at the back post before thwarting Armstrong as he looked to curl home after pinching possession on the left flank.

Cheltenham then dominated possession in the final exchanges and asked plenty of questions of the Carlisle backline - but more determined and disciplined defending ensured the Blues saw-out the victory.



Carlisle United - Lavelle (42)



Cheltenham Town - Southwood, Long, Davies, Bradbury, Williams (Lloyd 46), Pett, Kinsella (Ferry 46), Harrop (Bonds 46), Sercombe, Thomas (Shepherd 46), Nuttall (Keena 64). Subs: Pardington, Olayinka

Carlisle United - Lewis, Back (Ellis 69), Armer, Lavelle, Huntington, Kelly (Kayode 69), Robinson, Mellish, Barclay, Neal, Armstrong. Subs: Breeze, Harris, Diamond, Emmanuel, Dudik



Carlisle United - Huntington (7), Robinson (78), Lavelle (85)


Match officials

Referee - David Rock
Assistant Referee 1 - Oliver Spender
Assistant Referee 2 - Daniel Flynn
Fourth Official - Andrew Aylott


Attendance – TBC

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account