Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

LADIES: Double-header match report

8 April 2024

Match Reports

LADIES: Double-header match report

8 April 2024

Carlisle United Ladies welcomed Penwortham Town Ladies for a double-header on Sunday.

The games, which were scheduled to take place at Creighton were instead played at Frenchfields in Penrith, due to the original pitch being waterlogged.

Despite being defeated in their most recent outing; Carlisle were hoping to bring their good performance into this encounter.

Storm Kathleen was certainly in attendance, playing a huge part in the game, something which the visitors Penwortham were looking to take advantage of with the weather aiding them in the attacking third in the opening 45 minutes.

The first of two games started well for the Cumbrians, when Paris Alderson shot wide with the first attempt of the game three minutes in.

Penwortham had some possession but could not take advantage of the wind as most attempts were easy for Carlisle goalkeeper Chelsea Norris to collect. The visitors from Lancashire also fired attempts harmlessly wide and over from distance in the moments which followed.

Carlisle had a chance from a corner on 16 minutes, when Emma Kenyon delivered into the area and after the first cross was cleared the ball came back in and Charlotte Murray poked the ball towards goal, but it went straight into the goalkeeper’s hands.

Half chances from both sides followed with Kenyon and Kerri Mallinson trying their luck for United, before Eleanor Goodman and Lillie Marvel struck efforts for the opposition in hope of breaking the deadlock.


The second-half of the first game started with Carlisle taking the game to Penwortham, seeing the hosts have three attempts in quick succession from Paris Alderson, captain Ciara Bland and Sarah Nixon, but none of the three troubled the visiting shot-stopper.

United continued their dominate performance in the second 45, but were unable to find a way through as Penwortham stood firm, seeing the first meeting of two on the day, between both sides, ending goalless.


STARTING XI: Chelsea Norris, Sarah Nixon, Sammi Norman, Bessie Best, Janice Alderson, Charlotte Murray, Emma Kenyon, Ciara Bland ©, Paris Alderson, Kerri Mallinson, Jade Beal

SUBS: Nicola Waugh, Jess McGlynn, Jess Cleasby


The second game took place after a 30-minute break at Frenchfields, and once again Penwortham - who were classed as the home team in this second game - chose to shoot with the wind in the first-half, but a sudden downpour arrived and was also going into the direction of the Carlisle players.

They also had the first opportunity with Molly Singleton hitting the side netting from a tight angle, before Hollie Oloughlin took aim from distance soon after, but her effort was blocked by Charlotte Murray which resulted in a corner, which ultimately came to nothing.

Carlisle had their first chance of the second game on 10 minutes, when the impressive Ciara Bland shot from almost 30-yards, but her attempt on goal was well saved from the Penwortham ‘keeper.

One minute later, it was Sammi Norman’s turn to hit the side netting from a tight angle as the pressure continued from the Blues in the first period.

A chance came from Norman again as she found herself in some space in the box, but she couldn’t get the ball under control which provided the goalkeeper the chance to collect and prevent further danger.


The second-half of this game was very similar to the first match with Carlisle looking most likely to go ahead. Kerri Mallinson had a powerful attempt from 25-yards saved inside 60 seconds of the restart.

Four minutes later, Sammi Norman found herself free inside the area, but she lashed the ball over the crossbar.

As Carlisle’s confidence grew, there was controversy at the other end, when the referee gave a penalty for an apparent handball against Janice Alderson. The resulting spot kick was slotted into the bottom corner by Vic Dainty to open the scoring.

The lead for Penwortham was completely against the run of play and Carlisle had to come from behind to get something out of a game in which they had so much possession.

The opposition looked to assert themselves further after going ahead, requiring United to steer the threat away from goal and ride a period of the game which was being controlled by the hosts.

On 63 minutes, Carlisle found themselves level when a corner from Sammi Norman was firstly cleared, the ball came back out to her, and she swung in a great cross towards the back post which saw Bessie Best volley into the roof of the net with the outside of her boot.

Carlisle’s captain Ciara Bland showed great desire when she made three magnificent challenges in the centre of the pitch and this almost set up the winning attack at the end of the game, when Sammi Norman was so unfortunate to see her attempt across the face of goal skim the outside of the post and out for a goal kick.


STARTING XI: Chelsea Norris, Sarah Nixon, Sammi Norman, Bessie Best, Janice Alderson, Charlotte Murray, Jess McGlynn, Ciara Bland, Kerri Mallinson, Jade Beal, Nicola Waugh

SUBS: Jess Cleasby, Paris Alderson, Emma Kenyon

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account