Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Wycombe 2 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

30 September 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Wycombe 2 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

30 September 2023

United were at Wycombe for the first time since 2018 in League One action on Saturday afternoon.

The 18 were unchanged from the last outing, with Maguire and Plange once more leading the line.

10-man United were unable to make a second-half rally count as they were undone by strikes either side of the break from the Chairboys.

The Blues were undermanned for just over an hour after keeper Jokull Andresson had been caught unawares as he placed the ball for a kicked clearance. The experienced Sam Vokes had lurked, hidden from view, and sprinted to steal it with the Carlisle fans behind the goal chorusing a warning.

Vokes angled away and tumbled as the big stopper tried to make amends for the lapse in concentration. The referee blew for the free kick and produced a straight red, we think for handball.

It was a slow start from the away team and the Chairboys created the first opening when McCleary centred. Pattenden was at the far post but he couldn’t keep it down.

The hosts kept the pressure on and a run of set pieces caused problems. Former-Blue Richard Keogh had a volley charged down when he got on the end of one, and Forino was disappointed as he found the outside of the upright when he had space to work in.

United showed with a lovely ball forward from deep from Gibson that had Plange interested. A lobbed touch had Stryjek scrambling but it came to rest on the roof of the net.

Hanlan, Forino and Vokes all had half chances, with Carlisle defending their lines well, but the 29th minute sending off incident proved to be a catalyst for a devastating spell.

Tomas Holy was the replacement, and his first duty was to see the free kick over the bar. Carlisle broke, and Fin Back was left with his head in his hands as he found the outside of the post.

But Wycombe mounted a second attack and Huntington was adjudged to have scythed through Garath McCleary, with the whistle immediately blown. Luke Leahy found the bottom corner from the spot.

The home team smelled blood and Vokes was poised to pull the trigger, only to be denied by a well-timed lunge from Back.

Joe Garner was brought on to replace Huntington for the second period, and the change in shape saw the Cumbrians edge on top. Guy sent one over from distance, and Gibson had a snapshot blocked after he’d danced through.

Garner volleyed high during the period of pushing forward, and the visitors thought they’d done the trick when Maguire latched onto a neat through ball. He was denied by a combination of brave defending and goalkeeping.

There was more frustration from the resulting corner. Moxon delivered it with power and Lavelle claimed a push as his thundering header skipped an inch past the upright.

Carlisle kept knocking on the door and the home wall did it’s job with a 25-yard Moxon free kick. And Gibson had another teasing run stifled just as he shaped to take a punt at the target.

The killer blow was dealt with 15 minutes left to play after Lavelle had initially got in the way of a Hanlan stinger. Vokes took over, and his slick turn created unexpected space. He kept his shot low and it found the bottom corner.

The Chairboys ran the clock down through the closing stages and claimed the points.



Wycombe Wanderers - Leahy (40 pen), Vokes (74).



Wycombe Wanderers - Stryjek (54), Forino (65)

Carlisle United - Moxon (17), Andresson sent off (29), Huntington (33)



Wycombe Wanderers - Stryjek, Scowen (c), Forino (Low 67), Vokes (Taylor 75), Leahy, Boyes, McCleary (Sadlier 75), Keogh, Hanlan (Phillips 75), Potts, Pattenden (De Barr 83). Subs - Ravizzoli, Tafazolli. 

Carlisle United - Andresson, Back, Lavelle, Huntington (c) (Garner 46), Mellish, Armer, Gibson (Robinson 87), Guy, Moxon (McCalmont 87), Maguire (Ablade 78), Plange (Holy 32). Subs - Edmondson, Whelan. 


Match officials

Referee - Scott Tallis
Assistant Referee 1 - Sam Ogles
Assistant Referee 2 - Conor Farrell
Fourth Official - Alan Cresswell
Observer - Bob Hamer
Coach - Paul Taylor


Attendance - 5,499 (405) 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account