United were back a Brunton Park following their two-week absence with the visit of Derby County on the agenda.

It was just over 39 years since these teams had met in league action, and manager Paul Simpson went with an unchanged 18 from the squad that had picked up a well-deserved point at Lincoln last weekend.

United almost found a way within the first minute when Plange trapped the ball before feeding it on for Maguire to chase. Forsyth got there to stop the shot.

United's striker was foiled once again moments later after good work from Moxon and Gibson. His effort was charged down at source.

Waghorn had to stretch awkwardly to try to make something of a cross from Fornah as both teams kept things tight at the back, but he had too much to do and Andresson was untroubled.

United had defending to do on 13 minutes when the Rams picked a path into the area with some shot passing play. Sam Lavelle was excellent as he timed a sliding tackle to perfection just as Collins unleashed a thunderbolt.

Derby scored from a move that seemed to be going nowhere when a bouncing ball was nodded away from Waghorn by Lavelle. It was kept alive, and James Collins finished it off from 10-yards out as he got enough on his volley to send it past the stranded stopper.

The same man found more space after Fornah reclaimed possession over by the right hand corner flag. He set himself with his first touch but his attempted lob had too much on it.

There were appeals for a penalty at both ends within the space of a minute, with Sibley furious that he got nothing when he had toppled after the ball had been nicked off him by Back. Carlisle broke, and Gibson asked the same question when Forsyth got his arm in the way of his cross. The referee turned away from both incidents.

A series of set pieces followed for the hosts, but Derby dealt with the deliveries with every white shirt back as cover.

Carlisle thought they'd done it on 27 minutes when Gibson took matters into his own hands. A swirling, dipping, spinning 25-yarder caught Wildsmith off guard, and he was relieved to see it crash down off the underside of the bar after it had slipped through his hands.

There was a superb run from Guy that took him beyond two chasers, and his left-footed cross on the sprint had to be hooked away before Maguire could make it matter.

It was another nearly moment for the home team on 37 minutes when Plange clipped a lovely pass to Mellish, who had been pushed forward in a tweak to the formation. He was quickly crowded out by two defenders.

The Cumbrians then broke from deep with Moxon on the ball, and he had Gibson up in support. Pushed wide, it didn't stop the shot, which skipped just the wrong side of the upright after it had gone through legs across the face of the target.

United's wide man was up for it and he tested Wildsmith again as he ignored a boot to the heels to stand up and let one go from distance. The keeper went full length before punching it behind.

Carlisle were denied by the woodwork once again in time added on when when Moxon won it back with a challenge that brought Plange into play midway inside the opposition half. The striker shifted it and had Wildsmith well beaten, but it struck the post and bounced to safety.

The crowd roared their team on at the start of the second period, but another spread of corners came to nothing as clearances were completed.

There was no space given or found at all until the 60th minute when Waghorn found Mendez-Laing on the overlap. His near post pass was put behind, and Cashin could only find the side netting with his header from the back post delivery.

Gibson did the same with Armer as Carlisle surged on, but another timely block stopped the inswinger.

Moxon tried to take advantage of Wildsmith stepping out to cover what he thought was going to be a cross after Maguire had been chopped down, but the free kick didn't have the power it needed and the keeper was able to shuffle over to make the save.

It was a white shirt that got to a Moxon free kick as the Blues kept pushing men on, but there was more good defending from Lavelle as he showed poise to stop Collins from creating an opening as he reached the edge of the box.

Gibson was everywhere, and he was unceremoniously dragged down, with Moxon once again on free kick duties. It was nicked away by Collins as Maguire steamed in.

Robinson and Ablade linked up well to give Moxon half a sight, and he went for it from distance as he put his boot through the ball. It started off wide and the keeper allowed it to go. 

Derby were given a penalty on 83 minutes when an attempted cross from the byeline was stopped by Lavelle. Andresson was in a sprint with Collins to get there first, and the referee immediately pointed at the spot as the striker fell across an outstretched hand. The forward dusted himself down to register his second of the day.

Wildsmith beat a wicked 26-yard free kick from Moxon away as the Blues looked for a lifeline, and the visitors flooded out of their area with Collins screaming for a pass. He got it, but his toe poke whistled past the angle of post and bar.


Match sponsor - Bimson
Associate sponsor - Komatsu
Ball sponsor - AP&J Brown



Derby County - Collins (18, 84 pen)



Carlisle United - Lavelle (90)

Derby County - Cashin (75)



Carlisle United - Andresson, Back, Lavelle, Huntington (c), Mellish (Garner 68), Armer (Robinson 77), Gibson, Guy, Moxon, Maguire (Edmondson 77), Plange (Ablade 68). Subs - Holy (gk), McCalmont, Whelan.

Derby County - Wildsmith, Forsyth (c), Cashin, Collins, Waghorn (Wilson 61), Mendez-Laing (Washington 80), Smith, Sibley (Barkhuizen 77), Fornah, Nyambe, Nelson. Subs - Loach (gk), Bradley, Elder, Robinson.


Match officials

Referee - Martin Coy
Assistant Referee 1 - Alan Clayton
Assistant Referee 2 - Paul Newhouse
Fourth Official - Jake Topp
Observer - Eddie Ilderton


Attendance - 11,186 (1,533)

Read Time: 6 mins