Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CUMBERLAND CUP: City 1 - 1 United (2 - 4 pens)

Report from the Tuesday night game

26 September 2023

Club News

CUMBERLAND CUP: City 1 - 1 United (2 - 4 pens)

Report from the Tuesday night game

26 September 2023

United were at Gillford Park on Tuesday night for their Fred Conway Cumberland Cup first-round meeting with Carlisle City.

Nine of United's first-team squad started the game, with Will Maddison and Romeo Park once again involved following their appearances against Middlesbrough last week.

Carlisle had the first chance of the night when Park was fouled wide on the right. Charters sent it in, but it struck Ablade on the thigh and Olsen swept it clear.

A hurried backpass from Maddison had Breeze flustered on nine minutes but the keeper did enough to readjust his feet to make the clearance.

The hosts earned a corner when Birdsall twisted his way to the byeline, and it was sent deep for Kirkup to meet. His downward header was saved by Breeze.

City were up for it and McCartney went on a run across the line of the 18-yard area after a neat pass had been sent his way. He was off-balance as he drilled it wide.

A free kick from Butterworth brought a punch from Simons, but the blue shirts were first to the second ball and the clearance was completed.

Charters was once again on corner duty midway through the half and his delivery caused real problems as it whisked across the target. Simons was relieved to see it edge past his upright.

McCartney was once again mobile at the other end and he dropped a shoulder before shooting from distance. Breeze went full length to gather it in.

United looked dangerous on the half hour when Ellis burst through from deep. It was worked wide then delivered low, but Ablade missed his shot as it fizzed through his legs. Butterworth lurked but he couldn't keep his effort down.

There was concern for Charters when he pulled up, holding his upper thigh, and Aran Fitzpatrick was sent into the fray.

Breeze had to be careful as the rain started to fall just before the break when Dickinson found room to cross. The keeper scampered and plucked it out of the air.

A Butterworth free kick brought 'ooohs' from the crowd as he sent it past the wall. Simons was beaten, but so was the post.

It was a short-lived reprieve for the home side as Edmondson jinked before rattling a tester at the near post. Simons spilled it and Ablade was there to tuck it over the line from close range.

The lead was almost doubled on the stroke of half time when Harris showed tenacity to win the ball back on the edge of the area. He dinked it to Ablade who forced a fine one-handed save from Simons.

City came out of the second half blocks in determined mood and they were back on terms when Tom Mahone stayed alert. The ball ricocheted his way and he volleyed it into the bottom corner.

Birdsall was next to be played through and he was disappointed as he was thwarted by a tackle from Ellis.

Maddison and Edmondson combined on the right to get through the lines and the City nets came under pressure from shots from McCalmont and Butterworth. Important challenges were made.

United looked to impose themselves and Ablade used pace to get to the byeline. It deflected towards Butterworth but Simons was in the right place to deal with the shot.

Robinson was next to try his luck with a grasscutter from the edge of the box. Simons was happy enough to let it pass by.

A winding run from Ablade took him past two and he sent it low and hard at the back stick. Edmondson couldn't quite do enough to apply the finishing touch.

There was a real chance on 78 minutes when Park played it through to Edmondson, who had just Simons to beat. The keeper got fingertips to it, and that was enough to divert it wide.

City had a real moment with 10 minutes left to play when Kirkup nodded a free kick back into the mix. Birdsall was interested but Breeze got there first.

A short corner routine was worked back to Robinson and he went for the top corner from distance. Simons did well to dive high to tip it away as United pressed for a winner.

Penalties: 2 - 4 to United

McCalmont missed for the Blues. Ablade, Robinson, Edmondson and Harris scored.

Little and Olsen missed for City. Palmer and McCartney scored.



Carlisle City - Mahone (46)

Carlisle United - Ablade (41)



Carlisle City - Holt (44), Hill (88), Kirkup (90)



Carlisle City - Simons, Little, Olsen, Dickinson, Kirkup, Mahone (Kelly 75), McCartney, Simpson (c), Atkinson (Palmer 66), Holt, Birdsall (Hill 81). Subs - Gordon, Steele.

Carlisle United - Breeze, Maddison (Allan 53), Ellis, Robinson, Charters (c) (Fitzpatrick 33), Park, Harris, McCalmont, Butterworth, Edmondson, Ablade. Subs - Barry (gk), Hetherington, Swinburn.


Match officials

Referee - Scott Henry
Assistant - C Black
Assistant - B Whitfield


Attendance - 452

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account