Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 1 Orient

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

14 October 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 1 Orient

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

14 October 2023

Leyton Orient made the trip up from east London for Saturday's League One fixture and United were unchanged for a third game in a row as they looked to build on the four points earned from their last two fixtures.

The O's had lost just one of their last five games, showing that their early season struggle to settle at the next level up had been overcome.

A kick forward from midfield was nodded inside by Garner momnets after kick-off, and McCalmont was on it like a flash. He sent it back out wide, and Garner twice beat his man before a clearance was made. Armer took the throw, and United kept possession as they looked for a way through. 

Orient showed on six minutes when a wayward pass from Back brought the visitors forward at pace. The right back redeemed himself with a block, but the corner from Brown found Happe on the leap. Holy tipped that over the bar.

A half clearance from the next set piece was controlled by El Mizouni, 25-yards out, and he beat his man as he shaped to shoot. The thunderbolt crunched against the bar and rebounded for Sotiriou to head. With a gaping net he got his bearings wrong, and Holy was able to drop to gather as it bounced his way.

A free kick on Moxon saw the midfielder dust himself off before rolling it out wide to Gibson. His cross was wicked, but Happe leaped highest to get it away.

There was a scare for the hosts on 20 minutes when Galbraith and Hunt opened a gap down the flank. A low cross ripped across the face of the target but there was nobody there to apply a touch.

The O's took the lead on 21 minutes when Sotiriou was played through by Pigott with a ball to chase. Holy advanced outside his box, but the deftest of touches from the number 10 took the stopper out of the equation. He still had plenty to do, but he found enough power to send it into the bottom corner of the empty nets.

United looked for a response and Armer was once again released down the left. Moxon and McCalmont got involved, but Gibson's cross skipped all the way through to Brynn.

Hesitation in midfield allowed Hunt to break away and Mellish did well with good covering as the cross came in. He gave it the slightest of touches to send it behind to safety.

A typical forceful run from Mellish rasied spirits as he ate up the grass, and Brown took one for the team with a lunge of a challenge. Owen Moxon lined it up, 26-yards out, but he drilled it into the wall, and his follow-up effort screwed into the Warwick.

The lively Sotiriou was on his toes once again at the other end and Holy had to save at his feet just as the toe poke was coming. Both players needed attention after the coming together.

Carlisle picked things up ahead of the break and a deflected cross from Gibson found its way to Back at the far post. His first touch took it out of his feet but he was quickly closed down as he tried to shoot. 

Pigott headed well wide after Hunt and Galbraith had found a neat exchange in time added on for the half, and Sotiriou had one charged down when he was given an opening, with the O's heading up the tunnel with their slender lead.

A link up between Guy and Back sent the latter scampering towards the byeline at the start of the second period, and Garner was up to meet it with a salmon of a leap. His 10-yard header floated over the bar.

There was real purpose to the home play and Moxon turned away from Happe with a flick of the instep. The centre back recovered enough to divert it into Brynn's hands.

Gibson then tested Brynn with a delivery that dipped late. The keeper had to backtrack before pushing it away from under the woodwork. Moxon's corner had venom, and another set piece was signalled as it skimmed off two white shirts.

The next set piece was similar, but Garner was toppled before he could get there as it once again ripped past everyone.

Skipper El Mizouni sent a firm header into the Warwick from a long throw, but it was Carlisle's turn to test once agan when Garner was tugged back by Archibald. Moxon sent the free kick in, and Garner dived full length to glance it. Brynn went to his left to palm it.

Orient responded with a break that saw Pigott beat the offisde trap. He bided his time before picking out a late run from El Mizouni. From close range the midfielder could only find the side netting.

Break followed counter-break as the pace of the game increased in the closing 20 minutes, but Holy kept his concentrtion as Galbraith got on the end of a move along the right wing. He opted to try to place his effort as he chopped back inside but it was right at the keeper.

Brynn completely misjudged a swirler from Moxon with 10 minutes left on the clock, and he fell to his knees as he waited to see if a touch would leave him with egg on his face. He eventually stabbed fingers at it to clear the danger.

Moxon caused problems with a superb delivery that was met by Garner, who had made his way between two defenders. The ball was ushered out, and Orient had to shut the doors three teams as Moxon, Lavelle and Ablade tried their luck.

Another teaser of a corner was flicked at the front stick by Edmondson, with the decibel levels rising, and Garner was next to get on the end of one as he stood tall and deep. He nodded it back into the mix but a clearance was made.

Ablade rode two challenges to set a thunderbolt loose as the home pressure mounted, but there was more disappointment when it smacked onto the upright and ricocheted free and clear.

Orient mounted a late attack that fizzled out to nothing, but they regrouped to see the game out and to claim the points.


Match Sponsor - Planetware
Associate Sponsor - TC Scaffolding
Match Ball Sponsors - Jack Oddie, Eaves Funeral, CelCare



Leyton Orient - Sotiriou (21)



Leyton Orient - Brown (38), Turns (75), El Mizouni (90+3)



Carlisle United - Holy, Back (Edmondson 81), Lavelle (c), Mellish, Armer, Gibson (Ablade 71), Moxon, Guy, McCalmont, Garner, Maguire (Plange 70). Subs - Andresson, Whelan, Robinson, Barclay.

Leyton Orient -Brynn, Turns (James 75), Happe, Brown, Pigott (Forde 80), Sotiriou (Drinan 58), Archibald, Cooper, El Mizouni (c), Galbraith, Hunt (Graham 80). Subs - Howes (gk), Sweeney, Moncur.


Match officials

Referee - Ed Duckworth
Assistant Referee 1 - Simon Clayton
Assistant Referee 2 - Wayne Grunnill
Fourth Official - Paul Cooper
Observer - Russell Tiffin


Attendance - 8,355 (424)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account