Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Bolton 1 - 3 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

7 October 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Bolton 1 - 3 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

7 October 2023

Well over 4,000 United fans made the hop to Bolton on Saturday afternoon with the Blues looking to build on their positive ending to the Tuesday night home game.

The starters from that encounter were unchanged, but Paul Huntington missed out with a calf injury. Keeper Jokull Andresson was on the bench in place of Gabe Breeze, and Corey Whelan was into the 18 for Huntington.

A through ball from deep inside his own half from Iredale had Dacres-Cogely interested early in the piece, but Holy was off his line quickly to guard it. He watched it on its way to safety.

United had a free kick on the halfway line when Garner was fouled, and Moxon sent it long for Lavelle to meet. He stretched to get it back across the box, but it was just behind the front two and Thomason hooked it onwards.

Carlisle came again with a measured move, with Armer on the overlap. His pass into the area had a smidgen too much on it and Bolton cleared.

Charles sparked a move at the other end when he turned into space in midfield. He fed it out to Williams, and his near post delivery was met by Adeboyejo. Lavelle got there with the block.

United were suddenly under pressure when Forrester nicked possession inside the away half. Charles and Adeboyejo were there, but Lavelle made an important sliding block when the trigger was pulled.

The Cumbrians then broke, with Back on the right flank, and he dinked it inside for Moxon to take on. He dropped a shoulder and went for the shot with his left foot but Baxter leaped to tip it over. 

As the game remained at a high tempo chest control from Maguire in a tricky area was met by Garner, who shot first-time from 25-yards. It took a deflection and Baxter gathered it in.

The away team defended with purpose whenever it was needed and Adeboyejo was crowded out once again after he'd taken a clipped pass from Dempsey on his instep, with his back to the target.

A cheeky touch from Garner earned a corner, and the half clearance from that looped high to the edge of the area. Guy met it with a header but it was easy for the stopper.

Gibson then thundered into a challenge with Forrester to get the ball back, and he strode forward with three to his right. The through pass was slightly overhit.

Bad luck struck again on 28 minutes when Forrester measured a ball to Dempsey. A fizzed cross had to be dealt with, but Mellish got too much on it and he watched on in horror as it rocketed into the roof of his own net.

Thomason wasted a good chance to double the lead moments later when he completely missed his kick with a swipe from a Williams cut back.

Persistence from Back saw him take the ball away from Williams as he looked to clear, and Baxter parried the shot from a very tight angle behind. Moxon delivered the corner, and Gibson was unlucky when a powerful volley was stopped in its tracks.

The Blues missed a great opportunity to get back on level terms on 35 minutes when Maguire skipped through a challenge inside the box. His heel was clipped by the second defender, and Joe Garner stepped up to take the penalty. Baxter went the right way to make the save.

Pace and power from Gibson took him towards the corner flag, and he then showed skill to leave Forrester on his heels. Maguire asked for it, and he was thwarted by a late touch from Baxter's hand as he dropped smartly to claw the ball away.

A stinger on the run from Dacres-Cogley grazed the angle of the post and bar as the Whites flooded forward, but the visitors were awarded a second penalty when Toal completely misjudged a lobbed and looped ball forward from McCalmont. It hit his hands, and referee Seb Stockbridge pointed at the spot.

Jordan Gibson made it two goals in two games with an emphatic finish, and the supporters behind the goal showed their appreciation in loud voice.

Iredale danced through from deep in time added on as Bolton looked to restore their lead, but he was stopped by a combination of Mellish and Lavelle. Charles tried to shoot but he was also crowded out.

United showed first in the second period with McCalmont heavily involved. He got it out to Armer, and he was then there when the half clearance dropped out of the air. His volley took two deflections before Baxter claimed it.

Another great Carlisle chance was missed on 49 minutes when Maguire beat the offside trap. Baxter stayed big, and the United forward popped it into his chest as he tried to clip it into the net.

Holy was in action at the other end when Forrester got on the end of a corner with a downward header. The keeper saw it late but he kept it tight to his thigh.

Charles sneaked in front of Holy when Dempsey curled one at the near post with the Whites pushing men up, and he momentarily had the nets at his mercy. He couldn't get it out of his feet and he wheeled away in frustration when he bulged the side netting.

A cross from Gibson was met by a calm touch from Garner as United responded. Maguire kept his volley low but Baxter somehow got there on the dive to keep it out.

Terry Ablade's introduction almost paid immediate dividends when he got onto a free kick from Armer. His cross was lovely, and it had to be put behind.

Moxon took the corner, and the in-form Jordan Gibson grabbed his second of the game when he stepped back to shoot from 19-yards. It took a wicked deflection and left Baxter with no chance as it looped over his head and into the net.

Gibson blazed high into the stands when he tried to make an Ablade cut back count, and Bodvarsson, in his first attack after coming on, dragged one across the face of goal as he burst through at the Carlisle end.

Dion Charles was booked for simulation with just under 10 minutes left to play when he went to ground looking for a penalty. The same player had a header from the angle saved comfortably by Holy in the next attack.

There was defending to do through the closing stages, but both Forrester and Sheehan were wasteful when they put efforts way too high.

The Blue wall stayed firm, and the victory was sealed, when Baxter went forward for a late corner. It was cleared, and Jordan Gibson stayed calm as he carried forward before twisting and turning his way to hat-trick.

And that meant that it was a totally deserved first away win of the campaign under the belt in front of those 4,407 delighted supporters.



Bolton Wanderers - Mellish (28 og)

Carlisle United - Gibson (44 pen, 70, 90+6)



Bolton Wanderers - Dempsey (56), Charles 982)

Carlisle United - Lavelle (7), McCalmont (38), Armer (90)



Bolton Wanderers - Baxter, Iredale, Thomason (Morley 54), Sheehan, Charles, Dacres-Cogley, Adeboyejo (Bodvarsson 74), Forrester, Toal, Dempsey (c) (Nlundulu 73), Williams (Ashworth 63). Subs - Coleman (gk), Jerome, Matheson.

Carlisle United - Holy, Back, Lavelle (c), Mellish, Armer, Gibson, Moxon (Harris 88), Guy, McCalmont, Garner (Plange 88), Maguire (Ablade 68). Subs - Andresson (gk), Edmondson, Whelan, Robinson.


Match officials

Referee - Sebastian Stockbridge
Assistant Referee 1 - Steven Rushton
Assistant Referee 2 - Lee Freeman
Fourth Official - Richie Watkins
Observer - Edward Tarry


Attendance - 23,187 (4,407)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account