Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

CUMBERLAND CUP: Workington 4 - 2 United

Report from the Tuesday night cup clash

7 March 2023

United were in Workington on Tuesday night for the Fred Conway Cumberland Cup quarter final.

First team players Mick Kelly, Ben Barclay, Jayden Harris, Ryan Edmondson and Jack Robinson were involved from the start, with Josh Dixon making a welcome return from a long ACL lay-off from the bench.

Workington started brightly and a cross from Clarke found Leslie unmarked at the back post. His header was fierce but Kelly did well to get across to the beat it away.

The Reds stayed forward and a Magalula overlap gave him space to cross. Kelly was once more first to react and he gathered it confidently.

Another good move saw Reilly drop deep, and he unleashed a powerful drive from distance. Kelly watched it all the way.

There was a great decision from Harvey Gordon in defence as he cleared his lines on 12 minutes. Hardy flicked it on, and Edmondson took over tight by the touchline. He feinted to beat his man, steamed into the box and finished beautifully from a tight angle.

A spell of visiting pressure followed, and Barclay went close with a stinging 18-yard volley as Nugent picked him out from a corner. It was on target but Birch made the block. Gordon also got on the end of a decent inswinger but he hooked his attempt into the stands.

Workington picked things up and there was a great strike from Reilly from a 24-yard free kick. He got it over the wall, and Kelly had to tip it over. A dipping corner was met by Rigg with a solid header, and it whipped into the top corner. The referee deemed it was a push amd the finish was ruled out.

Back at the other end and Robinson found Edmondson on the move inside the box. The striker connected with a deft touch but Eccles got down to make a superb one-handed save.

The home side equalised through a moment of real quality from Magalula. He had to battle to keep possession, then he turned and unleashed a heck of a strike. It dipped into the roof of the net. 

The response from United was immediate. Robinson found Hardy, who beat the offside trap before stroking into the corner of the net from inside the area.

But there was more to report as Rigg ducked and weaved his way into a gap, and the goal was suddenly at his mercy. He left Kelly with no chance with a stunner of a connection.

There was real pressure from the red shirts just before the break and Kelly had to save from Magalula when a curling shot threatened the target. The parry went to Rigg, he let fly from distance and hit the post.

Hughes then had one charged down which the keeper gathered, and Kelly again had to palm the ball over as another volley came his way.

Workington enjoyed the possession at the start of the second half and they almost took the lead when Smith lunged at a deep corner. It grazed his boot and bobbled away to safety.

Barclay did well to tackle on the slide as Magalula twisted and turned his way into the area, but United had a chance of their own when Robinson took a quick free kick. Harris pulled wide and his low cross skipped across the face of the goal.

The Reds took the lead on 67 minutes when Magalula opened his legs to get to the byeline. His cross found Jerome all alone on the penalty spot and the substitute made no mistake with a cruncher of a volley.

A run down the right wing opened things up for the Blues, and Hardy was alert as he nipped it past his man. He had just Eccles to beat, but the stopper threw out a leg to make a strong save.

Hardy was tackled just as he appeared to be breaking through from a Bollado pass, and the pair combined again moments later. This time it was Bollado who was disappointed as he flashed his effort wide of the far post.

The misses were punished when Reilly popped up to finish from close range with 10 minutes left to go, and that effectively ended it as a contest as the hosts booked their place in the semi-final.



Workington AFC - Magalula (28), Rigg (33), Jerome (67), Reilly (80)

Carlisle United - Edmondson (12), Hardy (30)



Workington AFC - Eccles, Clarke, Birch, Smith (c), Leslie, Farmer (McCargaher 79), Hughes (Jerome 46), Hubbold (Carroll 60), Reilly, Rigg, Magalula. Subs - Atkinson (gk), Symington.

Carlisle United - Kelly, Bell (c), Barclay (O'Brien 62), Gordon, Robinson, Nugent, Harris, Allan (Dixon 75), Bollado, Edmondson (Park 62), Hardy. Subs - Breeze (gk), Hetherington.


Match officials

Referee - Kevin Mulraine
Assistant - Scott Henry
Assustant - C Sealby


Attendance - 603

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account