Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FRIENDLY: Workington 0 - 3 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

15 July 2023

Match Reports

FRIENDLY: Workington 0 - 3 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

15 July 2023

United's pre-season schedule continues to intensify and they were off to face local rivals Workington on Saturday afternoon in their latest summer fixture.

Manager Paul Simpson took the opportunity to give some of his players more pitch time with eight of the starters getting 60 minutes. Moxon was replaced at half time by Harris, and Gibson and Mellish played the full 90.

To describe the pre-kick off downpours as heavy would be an understatement with the players and fans subjected to bullet like droplets during the warm-up, and at regular intervals thereafter.

The first chance of the day fell to Alfie McCalmont when a ricochet in midfield rolled his way. He let fly from distance but it was straight at Boyd.

United then broke from deep with a lovely pass from Guy as United used the ball, and Edmondson raced forward with it at his feet. His cross begged to be touched, but the red shirts cleared.

A flowing move saw the Blues shift it from left to right and Gibson earned a corner as he spun away from his man. That was cleared, as was a free kick that came from a foul on Armer as he stayed high.

Workington got forward on 11 minutes with a dinked pass from Tinnion for Carroll to chase. The ball was put behind, and Smith was disappointed when he nodded a deep corner into the side netting.

There was half a chance for the away team midway through the half when Ellis sprinted forward to close down. He nicked possession and pulled it back, but Moxon thrashed a hurried attempt over the bar from 19-yards out.

There was quick thinking from Kosi Moore in midfield for the hosts as he dummied to leave Reilly in space. He looked up before shooting but he dragged it well wide.

Back at the other end and Ellis and Moxon stayed close together to fashion an opening. Gibson's thunderbolt was goal bound until Smith got in the way.

Carlisle had a run of corners on the half hour, with Boyd getting fingertips to the first one. Smith was relieved to see his defensive header go over the target. Boyd clawed the second away from beneath his bar, and Tinnion breathed a sigh of relief when the third hit his toe, then the post.

The conditions were nothing short of awful, but Jack Ellis provided a real moment of sunshine when he got on the end of a great centre from Armer. The volley was crisp, sweet and unstoppable.

Gibson was a whisker away from doubling the lead in the next attack as he skipped past a challenge on the right flank. He caught it well but it bent away from the nets.

Edmondson was thwarted by the alert Boyd when the forward used pace to get into the area. A well timed sweep of the leg stopped what looked to be a certain goal.

The Armer corners were a real threat and he found Edmondson on the leap on the penalty spot just before the break. The stopper looked on in relief as it came to rest on the roof of his net.

Jayden Harris was on for Owen Moxon for the second 45 minutes, and the visitors were quickly on the scoresheet for a second time when Gibson put Mellish on the overlap. Boyd dived to save, but McCalmont was there to sweep his parry over the line.

McCalmont spotted Ellis pulling wide on 54 minutes and Gibson stepped off his marker to blister a shot through legs when it came his way. It thundered against the post, but Gibson stayed alert. That allowed him to find the bottom corner with his second strike.

Workington worked space well on 65 minutes when Mugalula pulled wide. His cross was chested by Carroll, and Reilly found room to shoot. Holy was well placed to gather.

Boyd was equal to a fierce Garner strike as the clock ticked down, with a full length dive to get there, and Kilsby and Robinson had strong connections blocked just before the final whistle blew on an entertaining afternoon.



Carlisle United - Ellis (35), McCalmont (48), Gibson (54)



Workington - Trialist, Roxburgh (Webster 85), Leslie, Wallbank (Hammell 74), Smith (Tait 74), L Moore (Casson 51), K Moore (Lester 85), Carroll (Martin 85), Allison (Mugalula 40), Reilly, Tinnion (c) (McCaragher 58).

Carlisle United - Trialist (Holy 60), Lavelle (Kilsby 60), Huntington (c) (Whelan 60), Mellish, Ellis (Barclay 60), McCalmont (Harris 46), Guy (Robinson 60), Moxon (McGeouch 60), Armer (Charters 60), Edmondson (Garner 60), Gibson. 


Match officials

Referee - Anthony Backhouse
Assistant Referee - Matthew Rogerson
Assistant Referee - Scott Taylor


Attendance - 1,523

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account