Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FRIENDLY: United 0 - 2 Dundee United

Report from the final summer friendly

29 July 2023

Club News

FRIENDLY: United 0 - 2 Dundee United

Report from the final summer friendly

29 July 2023

United brought an end to their summer run of fixtures with a home friendly against Scottish Championship side Dundee United on Saturday afternoon.

Paul Huntington had the captain's armband with new arrival Sam Lavelle part of the back three, along with the familiar face of Jon Mellish.

Fin Back was straight into the action on the right hand side with wing back duties the order of the day, with Jack Armer patrolling the opposite flank in the same manner. 

Jordan Gibson and Ryan Edmondson were up front, with Guy, Moxon and McCalmont in support just behind that front vanguard.

The visitors started brightly and Middleton was a clear outlet on the left wing. He was fouled with just two minutes on the clock and he was up quickly to roll the ball to Anim Cudjoe. His cross was blocked, but he reacted smartly to shoot low. Holy was well positioned to scoop it up.

There was more good movement from Middleton as he overlapped and his centred ball on the run had to be put behind by Mellish. The corner eventually made its way to McMann, but he was disappointed to see the goalbound effort strike his own man before being cleared.

United showed with a lovely crossfield pass from Moxon that found Gibson on the move. His touch set him up for the delivery, but that was diverted behind. Walton was off his line to punch Armer's dipper before Huntington could strike.

A Carlisle break was sparked from inside their own box when Guy stayed calm. He looked up and spotted McCalmont, who was just as sharp when moving it onwards to Gibson. His shot was charged down as he dropped a shoulder on the edge of the area.

It was a game full of incident and Anim Cudjoe was disappointed to scuff a toe poke when it opened up unexpectedly in front of him. It spun kindly for Moult, but he thundered a drive onto the outside of the upright. The ricochet struck Moxon before bobbling away.

A covering run from Mellish saw him track Moult as the striker threatened to break through when a sliderule pass dissected the back line. The defender timed his intervention to perfection.

The home side started to have more of a say and a patient build-up from Gibson, Edmondson and Moxon invited McCalmont to find space. His measured through ball put Back on the front foot but his cross was misjudged and Walton was there to gather.

Plenty of blue shirts stayed forward and Gibson sent a thumping delivery towards the penalty spot. Edmondson saw it late and his header flew over the target.

It was a good spell for the home team and Back nutmegged Holt as he made his way towards the byeline. A dinked cross had just too much on it as Armer and Guy steamed in.

The Terrors took the lead on 32 minutes when McMann charged down a clearance from Back. He was suddenly in acres of space, and Louis Moult couldn't believe his luck as it came his way, and he was able to tap it over the line from just four yards out.

Walton had to be at his best just before the break when Moxon was felled 28-yards out. He took charge of the set piece, and it was curling into the top corner until the stopper dived to tip it away.

The corner was a wicked one, and it skimmed a defending head on its way to shaving the far post.

The visitors doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when a cross from Watt was headed high by McCalmont. Holy came to claim it, but it was dropped as he came under pressure. Middleton whisked a low shot into the back of the net from just outside the box as he greedily snaffled up the loose pieces.

It was a slower start to the second period with both teams more calculated with their passing and movement, but Lavelle had to be alert on 58 minutes when Moult was played through. His block spared the keeper any work.

Chances at both ends dried up for a long spell, with a number of substitutions to interrupt the flow, but Holy was needed on 71 minutes when Watt was played into a gap. He spun and smashed it but the keeper did enough to send it over the nets.

The Blues looked for a more intricate path with Charters and Harris involved as possession was maintained. It wouldn't quite break for a clean strike and the Tangerines ushered it away.

United tried to pick up the pace with Garner spreading it to Ellis. He fed it back to Moxon. Passes were exchanged with Gibson, but the final effort was smothered, and Newman gathered it in.



Dundee United - Moult (32), Middleton (44)



Carlisle United - Holy, Lavelle, Huntington (c), Mellish (McGeouch 66), Back (Ellis 66), Guy (Harris 66), Moxon, Armer, McCalmont (Garner 46), Gibson, Edmondson (Charters 66). Subs - Breeze (gk), Whelan, Kilsby, Barclay.

Dundee United - Walton (Newman 64), Holt (Graham 47), Grimshaw, Moult (Meekison 64), Sibbald, Middleton, Docherty (c) (Freeman 64), Anim Cudjoe, Gallagher, Watt, McMann. Subs - Glass, Duffy, MaCleod, Thomson, O'Donnell, Denham.*

*Remainder of the subs used on 73 minutes.


Match officials

Referee - Anthony Backhouse
Assistant Referee - Oliver Nolan
Assistant Referee - Joe Simpson
Fourth Official - Chris Backhouse


Attendance - 2,853 (738 away fans)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account