Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FRIENDLY: Annan 1 - 2 United

Report from the Friday night friendly

7 July 2023

Match Reports

FRIENDLY: Annan 1 - 2 United

Report from the Friday night friendly

7 July 2023

United started their pre-season campaign with the short hop across the border to Galabank for their Friday night friendly meeting with Peter Murphy's Annan Athletic.

New arrival Sam Lavelle was straight into the starting line-up for his first appearance for his new club, with Jack Robinson also in for the first half following his arrival on a permanent deal.

Second-year scholar Romeo Park was handed a start following his three-goal haul in the U18 friendly against Workington on Wednesday evening.

The Carlisle connection was strong in the home ranks with Greg Fleming, Steven Swinglehurst, Matt Douglas, Josh Dixon, Lewis Bell and Josh Galloway all involved. 

United had the first chance of the night when Park found space to cross from the right. It was cleared, but quickly recycled to Gibson. He took a touch before drilling a 20-yard effort just wide of the post.

A forceful run from Garner took him into the box and he had Gibson in support as the ball bounced free. Fleming did well to parry a stinging volley, and that proved to be the springboard for a lightning quick break. Josh Galloway suddenly found himself clean through and he made no mistake as he slotted it past the advancing Tomas Holy.

A flighted cross from deep from Lavelle found Garner on the leap at the other end, and a downward header from him begged to be touched. Douglas stayed calm as he stroked the clearance high.

Gibson was next to try to pick a pass for the visitors and his clipped delivery had Park and Garner interested. Fleming did enough to beat it down and help it on its way before a finish could be applied.

The hosts enjoyed a good spell of pressure with Smith determined to find a way through. His run was blocked, but a great corner from Galloway had Goss poised as it landed at his feet. He was disappointed as he dragged his toe poke wide.

Annan came again with Johnston lively, but his initial punt struck Huntington and went behind. Galloway was once again on set piece duties, and he gave Goss another sighter with a wicked centre. The header from the front man looped late and bounced into the fans behind the goal.

Jordan Gibson was a good outlet and he got his head down as he danced round two markers. His thumping low cross was cut out before Garner could get there.

A quieter period followed but Lavelle wasn't too far away when it opened up in front of him. He accepted the invitation but it curled and curved its way past the angle of post and bar.

Max Kilsby was next to try his luck as he surged forward from the halfway line. He kept it low as he reached the edge of the box but Fleming was well positioned to take it into his chest.

The Cumbrians enjoyed the bulk of the possession leading into the break but a well-drilled Annan back line kept the door shut.

Paul Simpson had two trialists on show for the second half, with an all-new eleven which included first-year pro Kai Nugent and new signings Ben Barclay and Alfie McCalmont.

It was McCalmont who looked to provide when he stayed deep to accept an inside pass. A first time delivery was met on the jump by Edmondson but his header flashed just over the bar.

Fleming had to be at his best again on 50 minutes when Barclay came up in support of the forward movement. The keeper dived long to make a two-handed save as it threatened to find the bottom corner.

The Annan keeper had the game of his life, marked with another wonder save to deny McCalmont. Nugent started the move with a piercing run, and Edmondson was involved as he nutmegged his man before dinking it inside. The midfielder thought he'd netted until a strong hand got there.

And Fleming wasn't done there as he flung himself at a crunching Edmondson header, which came at him from close range. The striker had put himself on the end of a Moxon corner and was frustrated as a glove somehow got to the ball.

Carlisle knocked on the door again with a cheeky flick from McCalmont that found Edmondson with his back to goal. He cushioned it for Harris to hit, but it came off the laces and angled past the post.

The away team should have been level on 78 minutes when Harris and the trialist combined on the right wing. The ball spooned up and Edmondson, just 10 yards out, appeared to have the goal at his mercy. He looked to guide his header over the line before Fleming could recover but he watched on in horror as it looped onto the roof of the net.

United got their equaliser late in the day when Barclay lofted a lovely delivery at the far post. Edmondson spotted Armer on the move and the header was perfect as the defender turned striker stuck out a boot to guide it past Fleming.

Mellish almost added a second as he used strength to get into the box. He shot on the run but Fleming was in the way with another important intervention.

Balls flashed across the face of the area from Mellish and Harris as the clock ticked down, and the winner was netted with almost the last kick of the game as it was worked to Harris. Nugent overlapped, and he spotted the trialist closing in. He was left with the task of prodding it in as he got his boot there first.



Annan Athletic - Galloway (9)

Carlisle United - Armer (83), Trialist (90)



Annan Athletic - Fleming, Hooper (Trialist 59), Bell, Dixon (Trialist 68), Douglas, Swinglehurst (c), Galloway (Luissint 59), Docherty, Smith, Goss (Trialist 88), Johnston (Trialist 82). Subs - Mitchell (gk), Trialists.

Carlisle United First Half - Holy, Lavelle, Huntington (c), Kilsby, Ellis, Gibson, Guy, Charters, Robinson, Garner, Park.

Carlisle United second half - A Trialist, Barclay, Whelan (c), Mellish, Nugent, Moxon, McCalmont, Harris, Armer, Edmondson, B Trialist. 

Subs - Allan (2), Fitzpatrick (12), Swinburn (25).



Referee - M Williamson
Assistant Referee - Cameron Telfer
Assistant Referee - Andrew Halliday


Attendance - 1,750

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account