Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 0 Exiles

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

14 January 2023

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 0 Exiles

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

14 January 2023

United were back at Brunton Park following their enforced winter mini-break and new signings John Kymani-Gordon, Alfie McCalmont and Jack Robinson were straight into the match day squad.

Forward Gordon, a Friday loan arrival from Crystal Palace, was handed his debut with McCalmont and Robinson on the bench.

That meant just the one change from the Doncaster eleven - Gordon in for the departed Jack Stretton - with the remainder as it was.

It was blustery, and United had the wind at their backs as they kicked towards the Waterworks in the first half.

The Exiles were gifted a chance inside the first minute when Holy hesitated with a clearance. It was charged own, and Zanzala took over with his back to goal and the ball at his feet, 18-yards out. Collins asked for it and there was relief as his rushed toe poke found the side netting.

A huge throw from Demetriou on eight minutes had to be dealt with, and Feeney did well to jump highest and get first contact. Holy mopped things up.

The wind made it difficult for the hosts, and Adam Lewis hung one up from wide for Evans to contest. He made the header but it was always too high.

Demetriou launched another throw after a lengthy quiet period, and he was there to send the ball back into the mix when Huntington cleared. Evans tried to direct it at the target on the leap but he was once again wayward.

A burst down the left flank from Evans opened things up as he cut inside, and Zanzala was there once again to help out. The striker had a heavy first touch but he managed to let one go from a tight angle. Holy palmed it behind.

Carlisle went on a break with a quick release from the stopper after the corner had broken down, and Moxon did well to wriggle through two challenges. A raking crossfield pass found Dennis, but he didn't quite get the touch right and the clearance was completed.

Holy earned the Cumbrians a corner with a teaser of a free kick from inside his own half, and there were appeals for holding as both Huntington and Feeney were pinned to the spot when Moxon's delivery spun and dipped. The referee showed no interest.

United had a decent spell on 35 minuts as they penned the visitors in with some accurate passing. Moxon invited Guy to shoot as gaps started to appear, with a dribbled pass, but that was blocked. Senior then tried to weave a way through, and Gibson ducked out wide just in case it came his way. It did, and a whisked centred ball was glanced by Mellish, but he couldn't find the purchase it needed.

Armer, Mellish and Gordon then worked in a tight group, with the latter looking for a measured through ball for Dennis to chase. Day was off his line to get in the way.

United's first shot on target of the half came in time added on for the period, and it resulted in a goal when a swirling high ball inside the box, after Gibson had pulled wide to give Owen Moxon an option, simply wasn't dealt with. A backward defensive header added to the confusion, and it was danger man Kris Dennis who made it count with the deftest of touches off his toe that took it over the line via the inside of the post. That was goal number 15 of the season for him.

Senior was there to stop Evans from going through at the start of the second half with a very timely challenge, and United showed guile of their own when a clearance from Holy was nodded on by Gordon. Mellish took over, and his cross on the run had to be put behind.

The inswinging corner from Moxon was met by Huntington, and he turned to ask half a quetion of the man with the whistle when his header struck an arm before being gathered by Day. Once again the officials turned away.

It became a dream debut for John-Kymani Gordon just before the hour when he moved intelligently after Senior had swept the ball out of the home half. Dennis, took it out of the air, then fed it to meet the run. The teenager kept his cool as he checked, sprinted and finished in style right in front of the Warwick.

Feeney had to stretch to meet a Moxon set piece as the Blues looked to add to their tally, but it spooned off his crown and the net were untroubled.

Omari Patrick returned for his first appearance since the Hartlepool away game at the beginning of October when he replaced Gordon with 25 minutes left to go, and he was involved immediately as he dummied when Gibson and Armer linked up. 

Another corner was the product of that move, and Huntington found himself unmarked at the back stick when it ripped all the way through. It stuck under his feet and his volley was stifled.

There was a lovely sharp move with Patrick and Guy keeping it on the ground to slice their way through, but Moxon miscued from the edge of the area when the time to shoot came.

A rare away chance saw Norman trick his way past Mellish and Armer, but he went for power from a tight angle and his effort sailed over the bar.

Newport could have been back in it on 77 minutes when Collins sent a wicked, drilled free kick across the face of goal. Farquharson lunged but it skimmed his forehead and edged wide of the upright.

There were suddenly chances at both ends as Evans tried his luck from range. It was close, but Holy was happy to watch it hitt he advertising boards.

Carlisle then carved their way through when Moxon waited for Patrick to get onside. The through ball set the forward on his way, and his cute pass eventually found its way to Armer. Day stood tall and saved with his legs just as the 5,500 strong home contingent readied themselves to celebrate.

Gibson hit the post with a cheeky chipped shot late in the day, after he'd taken a pass from Moxon and dropped a shoulder, and Adam Lewis did the same with a thundering header from just six-yards out after he'd arrived late as Newport again looked to spark a rally.

It didn't come, and the hosts claimed their points and clean sheet after another very strong display in difficult weather conditions.


Match Sponsor - AP&J Brown
Associate Sponsor - Stanwix Holiday Park
Associate Sponsor - CK Steel & Cladding
Match Ball Sponsor - Carlisle Car Parking
Match Ball Sponsor - SH Electrical



Carlisle United - Dennis (45), Gordon (57)



Carlisle United - Huntington (24), Guy (74)

Newport County - Moriah-Welsh (80)



Carlisle United - Holy, Feeney (c), Huntington, Mellish, Senior, Moxon, Guy, Gibson (McCalmont 87), Armer, Dennis (Sho-Silva 87), Gordon (Patrick 66). Subs - Kelly (gk), Whelan, Devitt, Robinson.

Newport County - Day, Norman, Drysdale, Farquharson, Zanzala, Collins (Aaron Lewis 84), Moriah-Welsh (Waite 84), Wildig, Adam Lewis, Demetriou (c) (Bogle 60), Evans. Subs - Townsend (gk), Bowen, Clarke, Bright.


Match officials

Referee - Martin Woods
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - David Avent
Fourth Official - Ivan Stankovic
Observer - Eddie Ilderton


Attendance - 5,603 (168)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account