Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 3 - 3 Dale

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

3 September 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 3 - 3 Dale

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

3 September 2022

United rounded off their run of three consecutive home games with the visit of Rochdale on Saturday afternoon.

And there were welcome selection headaches for manager Paul Simpson with players back from injury and available for the match day squad.

There were three changes from the team that started against Gillingham last weekend, with Ryan Edmondson, Morgan Feeney and Jayden Harris in for Omari Patrick, Corey Whelan and the injured Callum Guy respectively.

Rochdale had manager Jim Bentley in charge for his first league game, having taken the reins at Spotland earlier in the week with the club sat in bottom spot in League Two.

Balls over the top from both sides almost caused problems in the opening minutes but the respective defences did well to deal with the danger.

United passed the ball neatly when they overturned possession inside the visiting half with three minutes on the clock. Moxon and Back helped Harris to find space, and he brought Moxon back into the mix. Dennis was mobile, and he rolled it towards Armer to deliver. O'Donnell was off his line smartly to pull it in. 

Rodney stepped wide at the other end to cross high, but Mellish watched it closely and his touch was enough to ease the valves.

An intelligent throw from Back was met by a clever run from Moxon, and he side-stepped a challenge as he reached the edge of the box. His low drive was tipped wide by the stopper, but the officials signalled for a goal kick.

Quigley blazed over and into the Warwick on the turn from 20-yards as the game ebbed and flowed, and Ball sent one right at Holy from the same distance when he was picked out by a through ball from Kelly.

A training ground free kick routine, which saw the ball roll into the penalty area unimpeded, eventually broke to Quigley, who had scampered into the box. He kept his effort low but it was well wide of the post.

Dale took the lead midway through the half when Edmondson lost the ball on the halfway line. Sinclair wanted it, and his poked cross took a wicked deflection. Holy had no chance as it swirled beyond his fingertips and Scott Quigley marked his debut with a close-range finish as he bundled it over the line.

Patrick added spark to the attack just after the half-hour when he wrestled his way past three before bringing Armer into the equation. His delivery was excellent, and Back won a corner as he challenged at the back stick. Moxon took the set piece, and Jon Mellish made it two in two league games with a superbly executed overhead kick that levelled the scores.

Harris was strong in midfield as the home side surged forward again and his sliding tackle left Patrick with a choice. His pass split the back line in two and Dennis was suddenly clean through. O'Donnell spread himself to make an excellent save.

Moxon was accurate with the corner once again and Huntington bent his run to meet it on the rise. It was a difficult header and it spun away from the target.

More one-touch football from the home side, with Dennis, Gibson and Armer sitting wide on the left, pulled the yellow shirts apart and Dennis helped it onwards for Patrick to strike. His effort was blocked and cleared by White.

Harris showed great anticipation when he took the ball off McNulty in time added on for the period as he tried to shield it behind. His fierce cross made its way to Patrick but the forward was off balance and he volleyed it wide.

Sinclair nodded wide from a Rodney cross, and Quigley did the same as Dale looked to get forward after the break. United did the same with Armer and Mellish on the left flank, but timely interventions were made.

Rochdale were ahead on 50 minutes when Rodney beat the offside trap as the Blues were caught light at the back when they allowed the ball to be taken away. He kept a cool head before drilling it into the bottom corner.

And the advantage was doubled just two minutes later when another break brought another overload. Rodney and Quigley were heavily involved in the build up and the striker doubled his tally for the afternoon with a crisp finish from close range.

The Cumbrians needed a response but Gibson was wayward as he volleyed wide from a difficult chance just after Jamie Devitt had been introduced to the fray.

Devitt made a definite impact on 58 minutes when he sprayed an unbelievable pass from inside his own half for Gibson to latch onto. The wide man did just that as he dropped a shoulder and ripped it low, and Kristian Dennis made it six for the season with a cheeky touch with his instep that spun its way over the line.

Dennis almost turned provider in the next attack when he shielded a high ball on the penalty spot, under pressure from two defenders. Patrick homed in on the loose ball and he was disappointed to see his effort graze the top of the bar.

Back and Gibson worked hard to win a corner and it almost paid off as Huntington nodded it down. Mellish twisted onto it but his toe poke hit Ball and spooned over the bar. 

Moxon delivered the follow-up and Carlisle lad Paul Huntington celebrated in front of the Warwick when he glanced a beauty of a header into the bottom corner.

Jamie Devitt turned defence into attack once more with 10 minutes left to play with another missile of a pass that found Dennis with his back to goal. He sprayed it to Gibson, who had just one thing in mind. His shot was charged down.

Gibson pulled strings to win another corner after a Moxon free kick had been hooked away, and Patrick had one blocked as the Blues flooded forward. That came to Armer, and he went for power as he tried to cause havoc from the left flank. It was too high and the moment was gone.

Dale had a late chance when Seriki overlapped, and his thumper on the run was sent behind. The corner was cleared, but Brierley won another with another scything sprint. Armer twice cleared as the hosts firmly shut the door.

The pass of the day saw Moxon release Gibson as the game ticked to a close, and Patrick tried to find a path down the other wing when the intial move broke down. Devitt kept it in, but the visitors had plenty back.

A long spell of treatment for James Ball put a dampener on the closing stages, and the teams had to settle for a share of the spoils after what had been a pulsating afternoon of football.


Match Sponsor - Bell Group
Match Ball Sponsor - InvestAcc
Match Ball Sponsor - Border Aggregates & Landscaping Supplies



Carlisle United - Mellish (36), Dennis (58), Huntington (78)

Rochdale - Quigley (22, 53), Rodney (51)



Rochdale - Quigley (69)



Carlisle United - Holy, Feeney (c), Huntington (Whelan 88), Mellish, Back, Moxon, Harris (Devitt 54), Gibson, Armer, Edmondson (Patrick 24), Dennis. Subs - M Kelly (gk), Hilton, Stretton, Idehen.

Rochdale - O'Donnell, Seriki, White (Keohane 61), McNulty (Nelson 73), L Kelly (Brierley 31), Ball, Rodney, Graham, Sinclair (Odoh 61), Quigley (Henderson 73), Diagouraga. Subs - Slicker (gk), Malley.


Match officials

Referee - Adam Herczeg
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Bradley Hall
Fourth Official - Andy Haines
Observer - James Devine


Attendance - 5,023 (326)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account