Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Salford 1 - 4 United

Report from the Saturday away game

19 November 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Salford 1 - 4 United

Report from the Saturday away game

19 November 2022

United were looking to extend their current unbeaten run as they headed to Salford on Saturday afternoon.

Manager Paul Simpson made just one change to last week's starters with Kris Dennis in for Jordan Gibson.

It took just three minutes for the Blues to take the lead after an excellent and incisive move was sparked by Owen Moxon when he took the ball on his chest halfway inside the home half. A lovely through ball to Back followed, and he shot low, first time from just inside the box, which forced a dive from King. Kris Dennis was on hand to tap goal number 11 for the campaign into the waiting net as the parry bobbled into his path.

Holy had a save to make at the other end as Bailey cut inside from the left flank, but it took a deflection and the keeper was down to smother.

A foul on Hendry on the edge of the area by Mellish gave Watt the chance to go for the target, but it stayed low and the wall did its job.

Salford saw plenty of the ball, but they struggled to make any real kind of impact as the back line dealt with it in the final third.

Striker Callum Hendry tried to take matters into his own hands on 18 minutes when he ran through the middle with the ball at his feet. He let fly from distance but it dipped too late and he could only find the roof of the net.

There was a blow for the Blues when Feeney had to be replaced after a block from a firm shot left him feeling his knee. Corey Whelan was a more than capable substitute.

Charters and Back combined beautifully midway through the half with the duo exchanging passes to carve a way through. Back slid it under the advancing King, but his celebrations were denied by the post. The Ammies regrouped to get the loose ball clear.

The injury curse continued as Back signalled to the bench that he was struggling, having taken a heavy knock during the previous move. Jack Ellis stripped off to take his place on the pitch.

Holy had to tip a swirling cross from Bailey away from his top corner, and then had to readjust quickly as Tolaj lurked at the back stick. An instinctive volley was palmed behind by the alert stopper.

The big keeper was in the right place at the right time again when Watt sent one through bodies, after he'd dropped a shoulder to wriggle past a sliding tackle.

The glovesman was then equal to a low drive from Tolaj after the home team had kept the ball well in advanced areas. He saw it late but he got there in the nick of time with a firm hand.

Carlisle started to see more of it in forward areas and an outswinging free kick from Charters could only be cleared as far as Guy. He walloped the volley but it hit Touray and that took it over the bar.

The resulting Moxon corner found Huntington on the leap, and King watched in horror as it looped over his head. He was relieved to see the clearance come off the line, but Dennis was first to react to that. His goal bound rasper was blocked by Hendry.

Into the second half and a surge from Watt spelled danger until Mellish threw out a leg. He got enough on the shot to see it off. 

Determination from Mellish put the Blues on the attack and Edmondson was poised to pounce when Armer crossed. Touray came across to make a touch that stopped the chance.

Carlisle looked to be coping with a series of corners but Touray stayed deep to send a clearance back into the mix when it was hooked right at him. Matt Smith forced his way through to poke it past Holy and over the line to level the scores.

The Cumbrians tried a cheeky free kick in response which saw Moxon roll the ball from wide for Dennis to claim. The forward got there, but he was crowded out and the ball was shepherded away.

United came again with touches from Charters and Armer keeping the attack alive, and Mellish created space with a drag back that suddenly opened the target up. King dropped smartly to make a save with his body.

Jenkins blazed wildly over the bar from 19-yards with both teams going for it, and Charters was pushed wide by a through ball from Moxon on the counter. That went for a corner.

And the crowd behind the goal were in jubilant mood as a short corner brought a cross from Moxon. Whelan nodded it down, as he pulled off his marker, and Callum Guy's eyes lit up as he steamed onto the miscued clearance. He kept his head over it and made no mistake with a thundering connection.

A measured ball out of defence from Whelan found Edmondson tight by the left hand touchline, and he angled his way back towards the area. A corner was given as it shaved a defender.

More problems were caused from the set piece, with Moxon twisting and turning. His powerful toe poke went behind yet again.

This time the corner from Charters was direct, and Whelan picked his spot as he used strength to make it his. The lead was doubled and the supporters behind the goal went crazy.

It could have been four for the away contingent as Dennis and Edmondson got touches to a ball that was lofted into the box. It came to Mellish, who had to turn to get the strike done. It was always on the up.

Carlisle attacked at will, and they were ruthless again when Armer and Edmondson set the Blues on another run. It was fed out wide to Mellish, on the overlap, and his cross skipped up and invited Kris Dennis to net his twelfth of the campaign.

It was also, by the way, career goal number 100 for the in-form front man.

Guy was so full of confidence that he took on a really difficult volley on 90 minutes, and he was forgiven by the ecstastic supporters who caught the ball as it zipped into the stands.



Salford City -  Smith (52)

Carlisle United - Dennis (3, 80), Guy (67), Whelan (72)



Salford City - Nartey (45), Leak (65), Hendry (86)

Carlisle United - Guy (42)



Salford City - King, Touray (c), Watt, Hendry, Bailey, Smith, Tolaj (McAleny 81), Jenkins, Nartey (Eastham 64), Leak, Vassell. Subs - Chapman (gk), Watson, Lund, Berkoe, Dackers.

Carlisle United - Holy, Feeney (c) (Whelan (19), Huntington, Mellish, Back (Ellis 25), Guy, Moxon, Armer, Dennis (Stretton 82), Edmondson, Charters (Gibson 82). - Kelly (gk), Sho-Silva, Harris.


Match officials

Referee - Sunny (sukhvir) Gill
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Ravel Cheosiaua
Fourth Official - Blake Antrobus
Observer - Iain Siddall


Attendance - 3,454 (1,315)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account