Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Rochdale 2 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

29 March 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Rochdale 2 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

29 March 2022

United headed to the Crown Oil Arena with a run of three wins from three away games since new manager Paul Simpson took charge under their belts.

The team was unchanged from the Saturday starters who battled out an excellent home win against Bristol Rovers, with the bench also the same.

It was a tight start to the game, and Dynel Simeu found himself in the book with just five minutes on the clock when he stretched to make a tackle in midfield. 

Rochdale tried to get foward with purpose and Charman drilled one high over the bar as he reached the edge of the box following a scrappy period of play.

The home side won a penalty on nine minutes when Dooley worked his way into the box. He went down as Whelan poked a toe out to make a tackle. James Oldham pointed to the spot, and Liam Kelly rattled the kick into the bottom corner.

Home tails were up and a winding run from Charman opened things up as Cashman came in support. A deflection took it behind for a corner, and that delivery caused problems after Simeu had nodded it clear. Kelly clipped it into the mix but the 14-yard volley from Charman was weak.

United showed at the other end when Dennis was fouled after he'd trapped a long kick forward from Howard. Dickenson floated it to the back stick, Simeu headed it across the face of goal, but Patrick sent his connection over the bar.

An excellent run from Dickenson took him past his man as he raced down the left flank, with United looking more lively, and his cut back invited movement from Dennis. O'Connell stepped in to make a much-needed interception.

United should have equalised midway through the half when Patrick took a deft touch with has back to goal. Riley streaked onwards, and his delivery was a beauty as Dennis and Dickenson made their way into the area. It was Armer who timed it right, but he got his bearings wrong with an attempt at a placed shot which angled well wide of the upright.

The visitors had a corner just past the half hour when Gibson dropped a shoulder to cross, but it was low and cleared early.

A long throw from Dickenson saw Feeney challenge with Lynch, and it eventually came back to the wide man, who thrashed it low at the target. It was cleared, but the same man was there to charge it down and go once again at the box. 

Carlisle were wasteful with corners, with three in succession hitting the first man, but they had a chance in time added on when Dickenson headed a kick from Howard towards Patrick. He shot from distance, but Lynch gathered it in and the home side were able to see the half through with their lead intact.

United dominated the territory through the early stages of the second period, but they couldn't quite find a way through as Riley and Patrick worked hard on the right, with Dickenson and Armer doing the same on the left.

The away side had a goal chalked off for a foul on the stopper just past the hour as Dennis challenged for a high cross with Lynch. It was spilled, but the whistle blew.

Carlisle probed again with an overload in the final third, and a volley from Riley was blocked. Gibson was onto the rebound in a flash, but his rasper was straight at Lynch.

United had a good spell of pressure with teasers into the box which wouldn't quite settle. Half chances came and went, but the blue shirts defended in numbers to protect their lines.

There was a lovely move from the visitors on 72 minutes when Patrick recycled possession, and fed it back to Simeu. He switched play with an accurate pass to Armer, and he combined with Dickenson to open a gap for the cross. It skipped across the face of goal screaming out for a touch.

Dickenson was tenacious again moments later and he robbed the ball off O'Connell as the defender dallied. He shrugged off a challenge and whisked it in but it was diverted over the bar by Dorsett.

Gibson was back to help defensively when Dale attacked with 10 minutes left to go, but the home side were quickest to the clearance and Grant was suddenly clean through. He thundered an unstoppable shot off the underside of the bar to double the advantage against the run of play.

That was it for clear-cut chances and it was Rochdale who picked up the points which eased them away from the foot of the table.



Rochdale - Kelly (10 pen), Grant (81)



Rochdale - Lynch (70)

Carlisle United - Simeu (6), Devine (63), Dickenson (90)



Rochdale - Lynch, O'Keefe, O'Connell (c) (McNulty 88), Dooley, Charman, Grant, Dorsett, Keohane, Cashman (Odoh 67), Kelly (Broadbent 84), Clark. Subs - Wade (gk), Newby, Done, Andrews.

Carlisle United - Howard, Riley, Simeu, Feeney, Mellish, Armer (Omotoye 76), Gibson, C Whelan (c) (Devine 60), Dickenson, Patrick, Dennis (Sho-Silva 60). Subs - Norman (gk), Mellor, McDonald, Alessandra.


Match officials

Referee - James Oldham
Assistant Referee 1 - Wayne Grunnill
Assistant Referee 2 - Chris Isherwood
Fourth Official - Tom Nield
Observer - Graham Salisbury


Attendance - 2,160 (501)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account