FRIENDLY: Greenock Morton

United hosted Scottish Championship side Greenock Morton in a behind closed doors friendly on the training pitch on Tuesday afternoon, with conditions on the very muggy side of warm to say the least.

It was an entertaining encounter and Carlisle enjoyed the bulk of the possession and created the lion's share of chances, only to be pegged back from the spot late in the day.

There were just nine seconds on the clock when a ball forward from Feeney caused problems. Dennis moved into space but his snapshot angled wide.

It was a high-tempo start from the hosts and a run from Ellis opened things up for Dennis once more. The striker went for a deft chip but the keeper pulled it into his chest.

The ball was being moved quickly and Sho-Silva and Moxon combined to release Dickenson on the left flank. A wicked cross whipped across the face of the target.

Wide man Jordan Gibson showed fleet of foot to drive away from two challenges and Hilton got there with a flick to guide it onwards as the pass came in. It struck a defender and it twisted away for a corner.

The set piece deliveries from Hilton were top quality and Mellish was disappointed when he arrived late at the back stick, only to volley wide.

Still with only 10 minutes played the Cumbrians came again when there was a mix-up in the visiting defence. Hilton found power with his effort but the keeper stepped across to make the save.

Tight control from Moxon created room for him to move and he looked up to see Dennis on the sprint. The forward put his boot through it as it came his way and it was a whisker away from bulging the net as he let loose from 16-yards.

It was Dickenson who created the next opening as he took the ball in his stride before clipping it into the mix. Dennis saw it late and his header whisked just past the upright, with the keeper well beaten.

Morton got forward with purpose on 20 minutes and a low drive from distance skipped wide of the target. 

Things became much tighter as the half ticked on but Gibson was dangerous as he turned sharply in midfield. He had Hilton and Dennis ahead of him, but the through ball had just too much on it.

Carlisle finished the half as they had started, on the front-foot, and a deft moment of control from Hilton was followed by a lofted pass. Dennis volleyed but it dropped over the bar.

United pressed forward again after the break but chances were harder to come by as Morton defended diligently. But a run of wicked corners from Sonny Hilton - four in total - had the back line creaking, and the last of the batch was made to pay when Sho-Silva got a devastating flick at the near post. Brennan Dickenson applied a second touch to take the stopper out of the equation.

Substitute Nic Bollado almost doubled the lead when he carried the ball forward before thrashing his laces through the ball. It swerved and dipped and the glovesman did well to beat it away as it threatened to find its way in.

Barclay nodded over from a Devitt corner in what was a good spell, but Morton were back on terms with 72 minutes played when Barclay stuck a boot out to block a shot. The striker tumbled, and new signing Grant Gillespie kept his cool to slot the resuting penalty into the bottom corner.

Bollado had what appeared to be a good goal chalked off for offside, and the away team missed a great chance to snatch the lead at the other end when the ball was rifled over the bar from close range.

The last chance of the day came when Devitt looked to finish off a flowing move from 23-yards. It flew through bodies and hit Dennis, and that diverted it out of its path.



Carlisle United - Dickenson (59)

Greenock Morton - Grant Gillespie (72 pen)



Carlisle United - Holy, Barclay, Feeney (c) (Whelan 64), Mellish (Kilsby 84), Ellis (Guy 46), Moxon (Carr 84), Gibson (Bell 84), Dickenson (Armer 64), Hilton (Devitt 64), Sho-Silva (Bollado 64), Dennis. Sub - Breeze.


Match officials

Referee - Anthony Backhouse
Assistant Referee - Scott Taylor
Assistant Referee - Michael Studholme

Read Time: 4 mins