Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 0 Bradford

Report from the Saturday home game

8 January 2022

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 0 Bradford

Report from the Saturday home game

8 January 2022

United returned to Brunton Park for what felt like the first time in an age as they faced Bradford City in the rearranged fixture.

The Bantams suffered a Covid outbreak on the original game date, but a free January Saturday for both clubs meant a swift agreement on a new day for the meeting.

United welcomed Tyrese Omotoye into the starting line-up for his debut, with Sam Fishburn dropping to the bench as the only change from the last two outings. 

Fellow new arrival Omari Patrick was also named as a substitute, as was Joel Senior, who had made his first appearance in a blue shirt at Harrogate on Tuesday night.

The visitors had an opening with just 27 seconds on the clock when Cook chased down a ball over the top. He fed it wide, and the pull back was perfect for Threlkeld, who had supported the attack, to strike. He took it first time from 17-yards out but it whipped over the bar.

Bradford looked lively, and Mellor had to stop Angol in his tracks as he tried to deliver. The ball went behind, but the corner was comfortably dealt with.

Tenacity in the middle of the park from Guy saw him send Armer on an overlap, but his cross was charged down. Feeney followed up with a raking pass towards Omotoye but it had just too much on it.

The Blues then won a corner when Omotoye controlled a Guy clip, with Mellish also involved. Guy swept it towards the edge of the box but Cooke got in the way.

United put some passes together and it was worked smartly from right to left, where Armer sent one deep into the area. It spooned off a defender, and Mellor was set to volley. He caught it cleanly but it hit O'Connor and that was enough to divert it away.

There was danger at the Warwick Road End when a long throw was only half cleared. Songo'o connected with a sweet rasper but it bulged the side netting.

Carlisle showed patience on 17 minutes as they gradually mounted an attack, but it came to nothing as Gibson pulled a long-range effort well wide.

Half chances came at both ends, but the Cumbrians were close when Omotoye trapped the ball as he set off on a mesmerising run. He beat two, and rolled it back for Gibson to take over. The wide man dropped a shoulder and was a whisker away as he flashed a cruncher just over the target.

Mellish then robbed possession on the halfway line before leaving opponents in his wake as he surged for the box. He tried his luck with his right boot but it bent harmlessly wide.

It was then almost the perfect through ball from Mellor for Omotoye as the young forward lost his marker, but it skipped off the surface and Hornby clutched it into his chest.

The visitors had a goal chalked off for a foul on Howard on 38 minutes, when a set piece was kept alive. Three blue shirts got touches, but it was sent back in by Cooke. Songo'o challenged with the stopper, and his celebrations were immediately stopped when the assistant referee raised the flag.

A swipe from Vernam rose too high just before the break, after he'd carried the ball forward, and a replay confirmed that it had been excellent defending from Mellor that had protected the nets.

But it was the hosts who took the lead in superb style on the stroke of half-time when Guy spread a pass to Armer. He chested it, then fed it to Gibson, and the winger spun to make room for a shot. Hornby had no chance as it sailed into the top corner to make it goal number six for the campaign for the popular midfielder.

United's first foray of the second period was a lightning quick move through the heart of the back line. Mellish pulled wide, and he wrong-footed Hornby between the sticks with a low shot at the near post. The keeper was relieved to see it bend wide.

New boy Tyrese Omotoye showed pace to streak down the left flank, and Kelleher had to throw out a boot to put it behind. The corner was met by Songo'o on the leap, but he was off-balance and relieved to see it drop off target.

The Blues created a real chance on the break when Gibson first blitzed forward before twisting into the box. Dickenson provided the cross, but it was a difficult header and Hornby was there to take it.

Carlisle looked confident as they dominated possession, with Omotoye at the heart of much of it as he gave the Bradford defenders a run for their money.

It was the Canary loanee who earned his side a 25-yard free kick when he was barged by Songo'o, and Hornby needed to catch cleanly as Dickenson went for glory.

United were reminded that there was work to do when a Watt corner was flicked into the mix. Whelan kept an eye on it to hook it away. Howard was strong in the punch from the second delivery, and he ws there again when the follow up came at him.

Omari Patrick came on for his second debut with 15 minutes left to play, and there was huge applause for Omotoye (who would go on to be named man of the match) who walked off knowing that he'd had a faultless first appearance.

Every player in a blue shirt ran themselves into the ground to see it through, with Patrick typical of the effort shown when he chased a seemingly lost 40-yard cause into the corner late in the day.

It turned into a dream return for Patrick when he took a high pass from Armer out of the air midway inside the Bradford half. He showed poise, strength and guile to make his way into the box and he left Hornby on the deck as he prodded it into the bottom corner.

The fans cheered every pass and tackle as they watched their side deservedly take the points from what had been a very professional display.


Match sponsor - Attis

Click HERE to visit the official Attis website.

Match sponsor - Stanwix Park

Click HERE to visit the official Stanwix Park Website.

Match ball sponsor - Keith Richardson (celebrating his 70th birthday) 



Carlisle United - Gibson (45), Patrick (87)



Bradford City - Songo'o (64), Angol (90), Watt (90)



Carlisle United - Howard, Mellor, McDonald, Feeney, Armer, Gibson, Guy (c), Whelan, Dickenson, Mellish, Omotoye (Patrick 75). Subs - Norman (gk), Devine, Riley, Abrahams, Fishburn, Senior.

Bradford City - Hornby, Threlkeld (Foulds 60), Ridehalgh, O'Connor (c), Songo'o, Cooke (Robinson 77), Cook (Vernam 29), Gilliead, Kelleher, Watt, Angol. subs - O'Donnell (gk), Sutton, Cousin-Dawson, Lavery.


Match officials

Referee - Andy Haines
Assistant Referee 1 - Matthew Parry
Assistant Referee 2 - Alan Clayton
Fourth Official - Ivan Stankovic
Observer - Mick Brown


Attendance - 4,996 (1,243)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account